Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 1:05:49 PM EDT
Hey fellow Michiganders
I have a ar pistol/sbr question. I was tild this, but not sure if this is totally legal. I was told that if you first get a ar registered as a pistol, you can than throw a tax stamp on it as a sbr. Doing that would allow you to put a legit collapsing stock and forward grip and still conceal carry it. Is this true? I was told as long as you register it as a pistol first, Michigan will always see it as a pistol. Then the tax stamp will simultaneously allow you to use it a concealble sbr. A attorney that specializes in gun laws told him that. Anyone confirm that?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey fellow Michiganders
I have a ar pistol/sbr question. I was tild this, but not sure if this is totally legal. I was told that if you first get a ar registered as a pistol, you can than throw a tax stamp on it as a sbr. Doing that would allow you to put a legit collapsing stock and forward grip and still conceal carry it. Is this true? I was told as long as you register it as a pistol first, Michigan will always see it as a pistol. Then the tax stamp will simultaneously allow you to use it a concealble sbr. A attorney that specializes in gun laws told him that. Anyone confirm that?
View Quote

Make sure that the overall length is under 26 inches. You cannot put a stock on it until your SBR paperwork is approved by the ATF.

Even if it is under 26 inches... good luck concealing it. Most people will use it as a truck gun with their CPL.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey fellow Michiganders
View Quote

I'd trust an Attorney for legal matters over Internet Commandos
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I would trust only an attorney too.....

But it is helpful information.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Problem is my attorney, a former county prosecutor,  said that you can not cpl a sbr. So thats why i want to know if this is accurate.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#5]
What does the Legal Beagle have to say about it. I know they flip flop around also though. The muzzle device counting as OAL at one time to not counting today.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey fellow Michiganders
View Quote

Lots of people build an ar pistol first while they wait for the sbr stamp.

Also if you try to buy a sbr that is under 26" in length in michigan, your dealer will require it be registered as a pistol.  I have a pending factory built SBR that falls into this category.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Problem is my attorney, a former county prosecutor,  said that you can not cpl a sbr. So thats why i want to know if this is accurate.
View Quote

I would love for him to cite the MCL that says this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top