Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2014 7:13:47 PM EDT
Hey guys, I tried looking up the law on this but its confusing me and i want to make sure.

If my dad ever wanted to give me ownership of his AR, what exactly needs to be done in Michigan? He bought it from a local FFL dealer and filled out all the paperwork in his name obviously. I'm pretty sure nothing needs to be done because rifles aren't registered, but doesn't that mean I can get ownership just by my dad saying "Here, it's your's." Seems kind of easy, won't it still be somehow "linked" to my dad considering I won't have filled out any paperwork or anything? And if it truly is this easy, when someone (like a police officer or someone that works at the range) asks who owns the gun, I can legally and truthfully say I own it? I guess it doesn't make sense to me how I can just accept it without doing anything and it's somehow owned by me now. (Btw, i'm not complaining at all if it is this easy, that's kind of what i was hoping for).

Sorry for the long first post,

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are also a resident of Michigan and you are legally able to otherwise own a firearm (age, no felony convictions, domestic violence, mentally ill, etc) then nothing needs to be done. The firearm will always have the original paperwork from where it went from the factory, and from the first dealer transaction. After that there is no paper trail. If you are really worried about it then have your dad write up a bill of sale.

Also, that is an interesting first post. Makes people around here suspicious of your real intentions. Many anti-gunners troll here for info. If you are trolling, well, go f__k yourself. If your not, hey welcome to ARFCOM. Enjoy and post away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Hes the third new member this evening.
Second one from MI.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remember pistols are a whole different story.  But in Michigan there is no restrictions on transferring ownership of long guns.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea I guess that is an odd first post, but I'm definitely not anti gun haha. I just haven't needed to post about anything else because there's already so much info on here and YouTube. The transfer law was the first thing I couldn't find so I asked here.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys...I'm glad to know that we can transfer the rifle whenever we want. That also means I can shoot my dad's rifle at the range even if he's not with me right? And drive there with it when he's not in the car? Sorry, just want to be completely safe before I go shooting with it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea I guess that is an odd first post, but I'm definitely not anti gun haha. I just haven't needed to post about anything else because there's already so much info on here and YouTube. The transfer law was the first thing I couldn't find so I asked here.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys...I'm glad to know that we can transfer the rifle whenever we want. That also means I can shoot my dad's rifle at the range even if he's not with me right? And drive there with it when he's not in the car? Sorry, just want to be completely safe before I go shooting with it.

View Quote

If you are in noway legally prevented from owning a rifle/shotgun/long gun (as noted above age, felony, criminal charges, order of protection ect,) you can barrow  any of those firearms from someone else without there presence.

HAND GUNS, TOTALLY DIFFERENT LAWS!!

ETA: I know you were asking about a AR15 rifle but just wanted to again state as someone above stated, handgun laws are a totally different ball of wax. rifle your fine with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top