Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2014 4:54:11 PM EDT
Probably a dumb question ... does it make sense to set up a NFA trust for the future even though I'm not ready to buy anything now? Just so it's ready for whenever I can get into the NFA game?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't think of any reason not to.

Aside from the possibility of them going away.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Probably a dumb question ... does it make sense to set up a NFA trust for the future even though I'm not ready to buy anything now? Just so it's ready for whenever I can get into the NFA game?
View Quote

I would do it. You can put lowers on there even if they're not SBR's yet. Then if anything happens to you, your guns will go where you want them to go. Once you're ready to get into the NFA game your trust will be ready to go. I don't see the NFA trust option going away. They are planning to start requiring trusts to submit fingerprints, photos, and LEO signature... but your trust would still be fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to know - thank you both!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I plan on sbr'ing my AR and getting a suppressor for one of my guns as well. Is it necessary to go through a lawyer to set one up, or can i use the software (i think there are a couple will/trust programs, similar to TaxCut software) that would work for a gun trust in Michigan? I know every state is different when it comes to trusts and requirements.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I plan on sbr'ing my AR and getting a suppressor for one of my guns as well. Is it necessary to go through a lawyer to set one up, or can i use the software (i think there are a couple will/trust programs, similar to TaxCut software) that would work for a gun trust in Michigan? I know every state is different when it comes to trusts and requirements.
View Quote

Personally, I saw an ad somewhere (I'd have to look it up again) for a guy who does Trusts for $225. I was just thinking about having them do it and having it ready for whenever I'm ready to get  a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Personally, I saw an ad somewhere (I'd have to look it up again) for a guy who does Trusts for $225. I was just thinking about having them do it and having it ready for whenever I'm ready to get  a suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That ain't bad. For some reason i thought it would be a lot more(like $800+) to have a lawyer do it. I don't mind paying a couple hundred to have it done right. Especially since i'll be forking over nearly as much just for the damn stamp.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That ain't bad. For some reason i thought it would be a lot more(like $800+) to have a lawyer do it. I don't mind paying a couple hundred to have it done right. Especially since i'll be forking over nearly as much just for the damn stamp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't read through a trust done by a lawyer, so I cannot help you there. I can only tell you from my experience that I purchased the Quicken WillMaker Plus 2008 off of Amazon for around $12. I made my trust on that & had my dad's friend look at it. He is a lawyer, but not a specific NFA lawyer, and he said it looked good. I have a few NFA items under that trust and have not had any issues.

I would go with what you are comfortable with. I know some people prefer to go through a lawyer and have them write it up. And I have heard of many people taking the route that I did and not having any issues.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mission Critical Firearms.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top