Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2014 9:13:51 AM EDT
Headed to Michigan tomorrow, be there for a week.

Aiming for bay city, then the Mackinac bridge walk on Monday.  

Any fun shops, or any other must sees that I should look up while I'm up there?

I'd love to show he wife something cool that she hasn't seen in her home state

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll probably be passing right by Jay's Sporting Goods in Gaylord on your way up to the bridge.  It is worth checking out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots to see I'm the UP but you could spend weeks just up there.

Where you are heading, the cost line all over is worth checking out.

Jays Gaylord is ok, but no it as good as their Clare store or Cabelas.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Alpena has the ship wreck museum and then you can take 23 up along the coast past some light houses. Plus you'd get off 75 quicker and travel thru some of the smaller towns and past the Michigan museum north of fairview.

And Hartwick pines north of grayling has giant old growth trees.

I can think of more if ya want.

http://thunderbay.noaa.gov -Alpena

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?type=SPRK&id=453 -Hartwick pines
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll probably be passing right by Jay's Sporting Goods in Gaylord on your way up to the bridge.  It is worth checking out.
View Quote

Pick up a loaf of Spatz bread in Saginaw

If hitting Gaylord check out Call of the Wild (fun little Michigan tourist stop) and Gobblers restraunt (thanksgiving dinner year round)

If you havent seen a full size Cabelas store the one in Dundee is quite a sight (once the largest store in the company)
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The bridge walk is very cool. I did it last year for the first time. 5 miles is a lot farther than it used to be!

When in Mackinaw City Coffman's hardware store has one of the largest selections of Case knives east of the Mississippi.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Jays just bought a new store in Gaylord.  When they move in the spring it will be larger than the Clare store.  

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jays just bought a new store in Gaylord.  When they move in the spring it will be larger than the Clare store.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not a 'new' store, just an old Kmart
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have a lot of work to do to the new place to get it to look decent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Probably going to check some stuff out this week, as this trip seems to be turning into a 'we could live here, or here, or here' type vacation.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Probably going to check some stuff out this week, as this trip seems to be turning into a 'we could live here, or here, or here' type vacation.

View Quote

I live up here, if you need anything let me know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#11]
If I were looking to move to MI I would look at Traverse City.   On the other side Tawas and Oscoda have nice beaches.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If I were looking to move to MI I would look at Traverse City.   On the other side Tawas and Oscoda have nice beaches.
View Quote

Yep, the Grand Traverse Bay region and the Grand Rapids area are about the only places in MI really growing right now.

Tawas and Oscoda are pretty areas (as well as about any other N MI area on the Huron side) but economic opportunity will be limited.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, the Grand Traverse Bay region and the Grand Rapids area are about the only places in MI really growing right now.

Tawas and Oscoda are pretty areas (as well as about any other N MI area on the Huron side) but economic opportunity will be limited.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're building a shitload of stuff in alpena right now and in the next few years. Something sure as hell is going in on. There's a huge Meijer going up now and they announced 2 or 3 big hotels are getting built in the next couple years.

http://www.miheadlines.com/2014/08/05/downtown-alpena-holiday-inn-express/

http://www.miheadlines.com/2014/04/30/alpena-meijers-underway/

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is TC a place to move? Salaries are lower than what you'd expect given the inflated cost of living.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top