Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2014 8:45:37 AM EDT
Hello, all! I'm going to embark on the SBR adventure soon, but would like to keep the engraving process local if at all possible. Are there any places doing the work in the SWMI area?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Todd @ Customized Creationz in Romeo did mine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a long drive down 94
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It would be for me, that is true, but I appreciate the input anyhow! Could be useful for the next guy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I think this question came up a while back... We came to the conclusion that Customized Creations and another place in Indiana (can remember the name right now) were the closest places for someone in Southwest Michigan.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, brainfart....for some reason I read SWMI as "southeast MI".

This guy is in Union, MI near the Indiana border. I don't have any personal experience with him:

http://www.veritasmachiningllc.com/
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This guy is in Union, MI near the Indiana border. I don't have any personal experience with him:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the one I was thinking of. I have never used them, but they are probably the closest to you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice, I go through Union on my way to my FFL.
About 20 miles from me
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Union isn't far for me at all! Thanks much. I got a response to my email inquiry from them, seems reasonable to me. I'll try to get down there soon and post a follow up for anyone interested.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I had Veritas Machining engrave two AR lowers for me and I was impressed with the experience.  The rates were good and I was kept aware of the entire process.  I was even sent a mock up of what the engraving would look like before he machined it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#10]
ATEi in tailor can do it if they aren't too backed up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know of one in the Lansing or GR area?  Union, MI is a bit far.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone know of one in the Lansing or GR area?  Union, MI is a bit far.
View Quote

There are two engraving places I drive by but they are not open yet when I drive by in the AM, and closed when I drive by in at night.  No idea if they will engrave guns or not, but maybe worth checking out.

Custom Engraving
889 76th Street SW #20
Byron Center MI 49315

Located west of the Family Fare gas station on 76th and Clyde Park. (about 1 mile west of 131 )
  found a website for them, but does not list hours,  :   http://customengravinginc.com/shopping-cart/site/pageone.php  and http://engravingjobshop.com/products/aluminum-engraving/j7zsP67L5t20r1/

And :
Michigan Laser West
552 76th St SW
Byron Center, MI 49315

Located on 76th, Between 131, and Clyde Park.  On the south side of the road, after the Mobile, and before the RR Tracks.  I can' t seem to find a website for them.

I have no affiliation or experience with either of these two.

ETA : Scratch the second one, looks like they sell Surveying equipment.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Union isn't far for me at all! Thanks much. I got a response to my email inquiry from them, seems reasonable to me. I'll try to get down there soon and post a follow up for anyone interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great service, I used them to engrave a Sig556 upper & an AR lower for my SBRs.    I drove to Chicago last week and took the detour to drop off the items on Wednesday and they were in the mail back to me on Friday.  Phil, the owner, is a great guy that does good work.  

Here's his contact info:

Veritas Machining, LLC
15450 U.S. Highway 12
Union, MI 49130
269.641.7500 (phone)
888.853.9386 (fax)
www.veritasmachiningllc.com

I will use them again.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#14]
What are your guys thoughts on the ATF engraving requirements. They seem very specific.  Does this mean laser engraving may not qualify?  (go deep enough)

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer,or maker of a firearm, must
legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise
conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast,
stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an
individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a
manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed,
and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you
on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made
on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping
(impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum
depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city
and State (or recognized abbreviation
thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain
your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made
the firearm;
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I know that I want fairly deep, sharp, engraving since I have a tendency to Krylon stuff. Hopefully Veritas can accommodate that. I don't dig pretty-but-shallow laser engraving.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Great service, I used them to engrave a Sig556 upper & an AR lower for my SBRs.    I drove to Chicago last week and took the detour to drop off the items on Wednesday and they were in the mail back to me on Friday.  Phil, the owner, is a great guy that does good work.  

Here's his contact info:

Veritas Machining, LLC
15450 U.S. Highway 12
Union, MI 49130
269.641.7500 (phone)
888.853.9386 (fax)

I will use them again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's his contact info:

Veritas Machining, LLC
15450 U.S. Highway 12
Union, MI 49130
269.641.7500 (phone)
888.853.9386 (fax)

I will use them again.

I just mailed 3 lowers to Veritas on Monday. I will let you guys know how they turned out when I get them back.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know that I want fairly deep, sharp, engraving since I have a tendency to Krylon stuff. Hopefully Veritas can accommodate that. I don't dig out pretty-but-shallow laser engraving.
View Quote

When  I asked about the depth he said it will be closer to .01 deep than the required .003.  I honestly can't tell if it's .01 or .003, but it's sharp.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:11:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

When  I asked about the depth he said it will be closer to .01 deep than the required .003.  I honestly can't tell if it's .01 or .003, but it's sharp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know that I want fairly deep, sharp, engraving since I have a tendency to Krylon stuff. Hopefully Veritas can accommodate that. I don't dig out pretty-but-shallow laser engraving.

Good info, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mailed them 3 lowers on Monday and got them back on Friday. They did a great job and were very fast.

The price was good and they sent me a proof to decide how I wanted it done. Their communication is great and I would highly recommend them!

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ATEi in tailor can do it if they aren't too backed up.
View Quote

They aren't doing it as of now, I tried them first.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I mailed two receivers off to Veritas very late Tuesday afternoon.  He emailed me mid day Thursday to verify that he had them in hand.  A few emails later I had a proof and he said they should be done no later then this coming Monday.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I mailed two receivers off to Veritas very late Tuesday afternoon.  He emailed me mid day Thursday to verify that he had them in hand.  A few emails later I had a proof and he said they should be done no later then this coming Monday.  
View Quote

What was the total cost?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What was the total cost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the total cost?

The quoted me $40 per lower plus the cost to ship it back. I paid like $130 for 3 lowers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I paid $100 shipped for 2, $40 for the aluminum upper and $60 for the steel upper.  He also offers a discount for NRA Members which paid for the shipping.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What was the total cost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the total cost?

He quoted $40 per plus shipping.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#26]
My receivers were back in the mail this morning.  $90 for two receivers and shipping.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#27]
8 days round trip.  He was very professional, kept me informed the entire way, sent a submital pic to verify the font and location, and the engraving is DEEP. He also somehow blacked out the engraving to make it match the finish.  He had no problem engraving the magwell lip.  I've already purchased three more receivers to sbr and when the stamps come back ill have him engrave those too.  He also sent some photos of commemerative engravings he's done that were impressive.  So ill be having at least one of the next receivers engraved for the birth of my son.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Here's his contact info:

Veritas Machining, LLC
15450 U.S. Highway 12
Union, MI 49130
269.641.7500 (phone)
888.853.9386 (fax)

I will use them again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's his contact info:

Veritas Machining, LLC
15450 U.S. Highway 12
Union, MI 49130
269.641.7500 (phone)
888.853.9386 (fax)

I will use them again.

Mailed my receiver off late Monday, had it back Saturday. excellent service! will use them again for sure.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Just received my 4 receivers back from Phil, and I have to say it was one of the most professional business exchanges I've had in quite some time. Great communication and above all else absolutely perfect work and short turnaround.

I would recommend Veritas as the go-to for MI members.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Found a local shop in my area.
I'll find out how it goes tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Found a local shop in my area.I'll find out how it goes tomorrow.
View Quote

Awesome! Definitely let us know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top