Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2014 12:21:33 PM EDT
Filling out the form to turn my lower from other to pistol. I am the buyer and seller of this process. Couple questions regarding my ar pistol...

What do I list under capacity? 30+1 or 5+1 since those are the two magazines that I own and I prefer to mention the smaller capacity....The 5+1 is a magpul 10rd I blocked for hunting.

Also, for caliber, the lower says multi but the upper will be only for 5.56. Is multi an appropriate answer?  

And bbl length/oal length.      I'd like to eventually pickup another upper for this pistol. The original upper(the one I'm buying first) is going to be 11.5" 5.56, but in the future j see myself gettin an even shorter upper in a different caliber.

Thanks for the help guys and gals
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Filling out the form to turn my lower from other to pistol. I am the buyer and seller of this process. Couple questions regarding my ar pistol...

What do I list under capacity? 30+1 or 5+1 since those are the two magazines that I own and I prefer to mention the smaller capacity....The 5+1 is a magpul 10rd I blocked for hunting. I would just write whichever magazine you'd be using the most, not a big deal if you have different capacity mags

Also, for caliber, the lower says multi but the upper will be only for 5.56. Is multi an appropriate answer? I'm not sure if they would accept Multi. Probably should put down 5.56.

And bbl length/oal length.      I'd like to eventually pickup another upper for this pistol. The original upper(the one I'm buying first) is going to be 11.5" 5.56, but in the future j see myself gettin an even shorter upper in a different caliber. Not a problem. I mean you can buy a conversion kit for a Sig and it doesn't need to be registered again. Same applies to AR pistols.

View Quote

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What do I list under capacity? 30+1 or 5+1 since those are the two magazines that I own and I prefer to mention the smaller capacity....The 5+1 is a magpul 10rd I blocked for hunting.

Also, for caliber, the lower says multi but the upper will be only for 5.56. Is multi an appropriate answer?  

And bbl length/oal length.      I'd like to eventually pickup another upper for this pistol. The original upper(the one I'm buying first) is going to be 11.5" 5.56, but in the future j see myself gettin an even shorter upper in a different caliber.

View Quote

After you get your 11.5" upper,measure it. If it's over 26" it's a firearm,not a pistol. Which means no Michigan paperwork
Unless you're going with a super short receiver extension/buffer tube,you won't get 26" or under IMHO. Good Luck,I'm waiting on my 10.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's 26" or less, it's a pistol and must be registered right?  

If it's over 26" it is a firearm and doesn't need to be registered as a pistol? And as long as I don't put a stock on it it doesn't need an sbr stamp?  Weird
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's 26" or less, it's a pistol and must be registered right?  

If it's over 26" it is a firearm and doesn't need to be registered as a pistol? And as long as I don't put a stock on it it doesn't need an sbr stamp?  Weird
View Quote

Welcome to the state that calls itself the Wolverine State but has no Wolverines,The state bird the robin flies south for the winter.
And the state flower is a tree-The apple blossom.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes please measure it. If with a 11.5 it comes in over 26" I'm about to get a lot more interested in obtaining one.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll keep y'all posted. Ordered the 11.5" upper
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I am also getting ready to fill out the form and have a question. In Michigan,when measuring to determine if it exceeds 26", I assume you have the gun dressed as it will be used. In other words the unpinned flash hider and Sig Brace are part of the overall, not to exceed 26" measurement. I am presently gathering the parts for a 8.5 barreled 300Blk pistol build and it looks like I will be just over 26" with a Sig brace on it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am also getting ready to fill out the form and have a question. In Michigan,when measuring to determine if it exceeds 26", I assume you have the gun dressed as it will be used. In other words the unpinned flash hider and Sig Brace are part of the overall, not to exceed 26" measurement. I am presently gathering the parts for a 8.5 barreled 300Blk pistol build and it looks like I will be just over 26" with a Sig brace on it.
View Quote

No. The length is without any removable muzzle device installed. If it is pinned then the FH becomes part of the OAL.

My MPW 9" is under 26" for reference.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No. The length is without any removable muzzle device installed. If it is pinned then the FH becomes part of the OAL.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show me the M.C.L.. If no link,it's open for local LE interpretation, which may cause one to spend fun dollars on counsel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Show me the M.C.L.. If no link,it's open for local LE interpretation, which may cause one to spend fun dollars on counsel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, with one caveat. Michigan's registration (used to be under 30 inches) is very specific, they now WILL NOT register anything with an OAL of 26 inches or greater as a pistol. Granted, the non permanently attached muzzle device is not specifically covered, however logic dictates that if it is required to be pinned/welded to count in OAL to keep from being an SBR, then it certainly should not be required to be included if it is not pinned/welded.

Now can we count on the courts or LEOs to follow logic? Of course not. AFAIK, this is still a gray area without case law to back this position. But it is the right one. Me, I went with a 7.5 inch barrel for my AR pistol. Love the little critter. And of course, once it is registered, it is registered. So you've got that on your side. I still don't expect all LEOs to know I have a legal pistol.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't expect all LE's to know,I only hope if I'm stopped,that one knows.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

After you get your 11.5" upper,measure it. If it's over 26" it's a firearm,not a pistol. Which means no Michigan paperwork
Unless you're going with a super short receiver extension/buffer tube,you won't get 26" or under IMHO. Good Luck,I'm waiting on my 10.5" barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that mean it needs to be SBRed then?
Generally, less than 16" bbl is verboten unless it is a pistol or SBR.  If it is no longer a pistol as far as Michigan is concerned, do I need to register it as an SBR with the feds then?

It seems having a "firearm" with a less then 16" bbl that isn't registered as a pistol and isn't registered as a SBR is going to be in violation somehow.

Sorry to beat a dead horse on this, but I was about to press "Order" on a 10.5" bbl and register my stripped lower as a pistol until I came across this thread.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't measured my OAL yet, will do that tonight, but I don't see how it can be a short barreled RIFLE considering the receiver was never part of a rifle and does not have a stock on it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok guys....I measured my pistol..with the 11.5" bcm upper and phase 5 hex 2 tube it is just shy of 26" OAL.  This excludes the sig brace as well as the non pinned a2 birdcage flash hider. Sounds like I will be filling out an ri-60 tonight
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why the "interpretation" (also the general consensus here, which is rarely wrong) that I listed seems to be the way to go. My class III dealer also called the MSP because mine was the first one he did. They took a few days and consulted their "people" but that was the answer they gave. While that may not be called out in an MCL, we use the MSP opinions when we like what they say. I'm sticking to my "interpretation" on this one until someone can prove otherwise. But hey do want ever makes you happy!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Over 26 inch, but no stock and receiver never having been a rifle is not an SBR or class III weapon Federally, it is classified as "Other" Firearm. To see more discussion of this, go to the AR15 Pistol Forum here on AR15.com. Of course, that doesn't cover Michigan specifically. But neither does Michigan law in that gray area. I think they've gone towards Federal standards in most instances here, but as with anything not defined, you pays your money and you takes your chances. Sooner or later, I'm sure we'll get definition of these issues. Hope it doesn't cost one of us a bundle (or our Freedom) to get there.

For now,  my registered 7.5 inch barreled AR15 pistol is at 23 and 3/8 inches, complete with the KX3. Still know some LEOs would love to and try to jail me over it, but also confident the law is on my side there and would prevail.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Which is why the "interpretation" (also the general consensus here, which is rarely wrong) that I listed seems to be the way to go. My class III dealer also called the MSP because mine was the first one he did. They took a few days and consulted their "people" but that was the answer they gave. While that may not be called out in an MCL, we use the MSP opinions when we like what they say. I'm sticking to my "interpretation" on this one until someone can prove otherwise. But hey do want ever makes you happy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd feel safer with a MCL also. I'm trying to stay under 26" with everything attached.
I agree that you "should be GTG" and I'd rather not see anyone get into trouble.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I put "Multi" as the caliber on my old AR pistol, no one said anything about it
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW,I put "multi" for caliber and they called me and said the computer wouldn't let them put letters.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Generally, less than 16" bbl is verboten unless it is a pistol or SBR.  If it is no longer a pistol as far as Michigan is concerned, do I need to register it as an SBR with the feds then?

It seems having a "firearm" with a less then 16" bbl that isn't registered as a pistol and isn't registered as a SBR is going to be in violation somehow.

Sorry to beat a dead horse on this, but I was about to press "Order" on a 10.5" bbl and register my stripped lower as a pistol until I came across this thread.
View Quote

There is a dead spot in registration. It's too seperate laws. Michigan law, the SBR thing is federal law. An AR pistol over 26" long is a pistol federally, and michigan doesn't care if its over 26". Just think of it as a comically long revolver, no need to SBR the comically long revolver, and no need to SBR an AR pistol. You can have an AR pistol with a 20" M16 upper if you wanted. Still a pistol, and our state is stupid and wouldn't want to register it. (Registration is useless anyways IMO but I comply with the law)

That being said I myself wouldn't worry to much, I'd fill out the registration form, drop it off and not worry about it. Better safe than prison raped.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is a dead spot in registration. It's too seperate laws. Michigan law, the SBR thing is federal law. An AR pistol over 26" long is a pistol federally, and michigan doesn't care if its over 26". Just think of it as a comically long revolver, no need to SBR the comically long revolver, and no need to SBR an AR pistol. You can have an AR pistol with a 20" M16 upper if you wanted. Still a pistol, and our state is stupid and wouldn't want to register it. (Registration is useless anyways IMO but I comply with the law)

That being said I myself wouldn't worry to much, I'd fill out the registration form, drop it off and not worry about it. Better safe than prison raped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting reading about how Michigan doesn't care if the pistol is over 26".

Then there's this below

The Michigan Penal Code ( excerpt)
Act 328 of 1932
750.222 sub section e states
"Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is under 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ctwuzs55xlkanu55izldim45))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-222
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I see some real murky water in this thread . . . more pure Michigan, eh?

Nonetheless, can someone confirm/deny my interpretation of this discussion;

1.  I want to build an AR pistol, so I purchase a stripped lower and it is registered as "other" per ATF 4473 - check
2.  After assembling my pistol with a 12.5" barrel and no buttstock, I determine my OAL is over 26 inches - check
3. This configuration is not an SBR because it has no buttstock - check
4  This configuration is not a rifle because the barrel is less than 16" - yes/no?
5.  Yet I CANNOT register it as a pistol, even if I attempt to do so - yes/no?

And lastly, if I buy a shorter barrel to keep it under 26", does this mean I can conceal carry it with my MI CPL?

Confusing . . .

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#23]
#3 is murky that I'm waiting on a answer from a FFL friend. He claims to have documentation that over 26" in MI is a SBR. I want to see it.
#4 depends on the answer to #3
#5 NO
Last one would be YES

IANAL these answers may be incorrect,but I'm at 25.5 " with a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I called the Michigan State Police Firearms Branch today and asked about this.

I stated that I had a stripped lower purchased as an "other" which I intended to assemble as a pistol with no stock, and that I was about to buy a 10.5 inch barrel that could possibly take the overall length to around 27 inches.  

After explaining that, my exact question was "What do I have to do here, since the barrel is less than 16 inches, but the overall length is greater than 26 inches?  It isn't a pistol according to Michigan, but it isn't an SBR according to the Feds."  

She stated "You don't have to do anything if you're overall length is greater than 26 inches.  We would consider it a long arm."

I replied "Are you sure?  My concern is that the barrel is less than 16 inches and I don't want to get into trouble."  (I probably could have left it at her first answer, but my goal here was to get some clarity.)

She replied "We're only concerned with the overall length."

So, not exactly a law written in stone or anything that could be referenced in a legal defense, but it is one more thing to take into account.
The fact she stated "We would consider it a long arm." instead of referring to it as a firearm to me feels like a gap, since "long arm" is so well defined in Michigan.
In the end I'll probably try to ensure I have a muzzle device that keeps the whole package under 26" anyway, then register it as a pistol.  If I later add a muzzle device that takes it over 26" I'll just treat it as a rifle (No concealed carry, and transport it unloaded) with the hopes that it being in the system as a pistol would give me some added protection if an LEO ever questioned it.  

I called the MSP at 517-332-2521 and asked to speak to the Firearms Branch.  The woman I spoke with was named Nicole, who was polite and helpful.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Keeping this thread alive since I got a question related to this topic...
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Keeping this thread alive since I got a question related to this topic...
View Quote

Then why didn't you just post the question...............
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#27]
OK, I have a question then:

I got my Stamp today for my SBR, so I took the 12" upper off the registered pistol lower and put it on its engraved SBR lower so that's done.  Now I have 7.5" upper that I want to assemble and put on the same registered pistol lower.   The OAL lenght will be 23.5", shorter than I had on the RI 060 I turned in for the 12" pistol, what do I need to do to stay legal when I put the 7.5" upper on?  

Also, I took the "better safe than sorry" route on the 12" upper and registered it as a pistol, even though the OAL was greater than 26".  The Sheriff's Dept took my form and I never heard back from them so I assumed the OAL wasn't an issue.  So, the questions are:

Did they just toss the form since the OAL was over 26"?  
Did that whole registration even happen or is it a moot point & I can just register my 7.5" pistol on the same lower w/o issue?

Thx.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I called the Michigan State Police Firearms Branch today and asked about this.

I stated that I had a stripped lower purchased as an "other" which I intended to assemble as a pistol with no stock, and that I was about to buy a 10.5 inch barrel that could possibly take the overall length to around 27 inches.  

After explaining that, my exact question was "What do I have to do here, since the barrel is less than 16 inches, but the overall length is greater than 26 inches?  It isn't a pistol according to Michigan, but it isn't an SBR according to the Feds."  

She stated "You don't have to do anything if you're overall length is greater than 26 inches.  We would consider it a long arm."

I replied "Are you sure?  My concern is that the barrel is less than 16 inches and I don't want to get into trouble."  (I probably could have left it at her first answer, but my goal here was to get some clarity.)

She replied "We're only concerned with the overall length."

So, not exactly a law written in stone or anything that could be referenced in a legal defense, but it is one more thing to take into account.

The fact she stated "We would consider it a long arm." instead of referring to it as a firearm to me feels like a gap, since "long arm" is so well defined in Michigan.

In the end I'll probably try to ensure I have a muzzle device that keeps the whole package under 26" anyway, then register it as a pistol.  If I later add a muzzle device that takes it over 26" I'll just treat it as a rifle (No concealed carry, and transport it unloaded) with the hopes that it being in the system as a pistol would give me some added protection if an LEO ever questioned it.  

I called the MSP at 517-332-2521 and asked to speak to the Firearms Branch.  The woman I spoke with was named Nicole, who was polite and helpful.
View Quote
Michigan is concerned with the ability to conceal the firearm. Somehow they came to the conclusion that under 26" OAL needs to be registered as a pistol.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:08:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I got my Stamp today for my SBR, so I took the 12" upper off the registered pistol lower and put it on its engraved SBR lower so that's done.  Now I have 7.5" upper that I want to assemble and put on the same registered pistol lower.   The OAL lenght will be 23.5", shorter than I had on the RI 060 I turned in for the 12" pistol, what do I need to do to stay legal when I put the 7.5" upper on?  

Also, I took the "better safe than sorry" route on the 12" upper and registered it as a pistol, even though the OAL was greater than 26".  The Sheriff's Dept took my form and I never heard back from them so I assumed the OAL wasn't an issue.  So, the questions are:

Did that whole registration even happen or is it a moot point & I can just register my 7.5" pistol on the same lower w/o issue?

Thx.

View Quote
Not sure why you would need to re-register your AR pistol. The serial number is already in the database.  You could ask the MSP.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Ugh stupid new laws. Not to hijack, but I have a similar question and was wondering if anyone can provide some measurements or clarification...

DSG 10" upper (dsgarms.com/dsgu-556-10-mcsr10-agb-a2), these are currently "pre order" and at a price that I am thinking is... reasonable. Goal is ar 15 PISTOL that can come along in the truck if wanted. Anyone have a measured out upper with 10" barrel? I'm curious what the min length I could achieve is. Thanks for the help, sale ends sooner than later...
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Ask in the pistol forum. That's how I figured it out before ordering
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I believe it will be shorter than 26" oal
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Crossposting

Here is a form from the MSP, you send it in and anything that is over 26" and was previously classified as a firearm/pistol, can now be removed from that category. I guess MSP is disregarding the OR part in the law!

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931
(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/ri-044_406611_7.pdf
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thx.

View Quote

I would check with the MSP on the over 26 inch registration, to see if it was indeed registered (since Michigan's new policy is to NOT register anything 26 inches and over, I suspect is was NOT). For a $1 fee, you can get a letter from the MSP on any serial number you own that is registered as a pistol (I plan to do this for all of my "questionable" firearms). This includes grandfathered items over 26 inches, such as my AK folder and my pistol gripped riot gun that are registered. ALL  registered pistols are legal to carry with a CPL (under current law).
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Crossposting

Here is a form from the MSP, you send it in and anything that is over 26" and was previously classified as a firearm/pistol, can now be removed from that category. I guess MSP is disregarding the OR part in the law!

Act 328 of 1931
(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.

View Quote

Perhaps you are missing the intention of what comes after the "or". "Conceals itself as a firearm" I would take that to mean "looks like other than a firearm", ie: a cane gun, a pen gun, etc. etc. (which I thought were AOWs under state law). Only my interpretation there.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Perhaps you are missing the intention of what comes after the "or". "Conceals itself as a firearm" I would take that to mean "looks like other than a firearm", ie: a cane gun, a pen gun, etc. etc. (which I thought were AOWs under state law). Only my interpretation there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crossposting

Act 328 of 1931

I agree with both your statements, and the second statement is why I don't think it qualifies. Hence the reason (IMHO) that it means something that COULD be classified as a pistol. Like I said before, the law concerning "Michigan Pistol" is a PITA.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#37]
So if not a pistol over 26 can it have a vertical grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top