Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2014 10:00:00 PM EDT
I was raised in the Downriver area (Trenton), graduated from EMU, worked on the newspaper in Alpena for 16 months in the early 90s after graduation. I fled Michigan in 1996 when I moved to Chicago. IL has been pretty good to me career-wise. But the cost of living here is crazy. Taxes insane. I currently live in the Chicago burbs. I've been thinking about moving back to the Detroit area. There are some jobs for my industry (customs broker/int'l transportation), but I can also branch out into global trade compliance for an importer, if I wanted to.

I've always said you couldn't pay me to move back, but the IL nonsense has gotten to the point where I'm considering getting out in a year or two. I love cold. Other areas that are good for my industry such as Atlanta or Dallas are a no-go due to the climate.

I finally got my IL CCW permit back in March, but Michigan's got a much better attitude about guns than the libs here.

I'd probably look at living elsewhere than the Downriver area. I've not been back to the Detroit area since 2006. I've got family there, but let's just say we don't get along and leave it at that.

So, am I out of my mind?

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I moved back in 2005 because I figured after almost 20 years that the economy must have gotten better, I was wrong.   MI has gotten better since I moved back though.   Right to work passed, we have passed all kinds of pro gun laws and dumped the business tax.   If you can find work then I think it would be better than IL.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm headed back within the next year,

After 18 years I've had enough, and I just want to come home and raise my kids in michigan,
We'll be moving back to se oakland county, hopefully withing 5 miles or so of my parents

I don't care what the job market looks like, it sucks most everywhere, and the vast majority of places I have lived in or spent time in since I left have no appeal for me.

Every time I come home it feels right, so I'm coming home.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Marie,

Consider Battle Creek/ Kalamazoo.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marie,

Consider Battle Creek/ Kalamazoo.

View Quote

My industry is.Detroit.area unless I.went trade compliance, which isn't really what I'm looking to do.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember your team thread about job hassles.

Do you have a company in mind here?  I used to work for a large freight forwarder here.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I remember your team thread about job hassles.

Do you have a company in mind here?  I used to work for a large freight forwarder here.
View Quote

No particular company in mind at this.time.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
All things considered, Michigan has actually gotten pretty awesome over the past few years.  Suppressors and SBR's legalized, they've done away with the pistol safety inspections, good fireworks are legal, and the citizens resoundingly defeated ALL of the proposed state constitutional amendments in the last election.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm headed back within the next year,

After 18 years I've had enough, and I just want to come home and raise my kids in michigan,

We'll be moving back to se oakland county, hopefully withing 5 miles or so of my parents

I don't care what the job market looks like, it sucks most everywhere, and the vast majority of places I have lived in or spent time in since I left have no appeal for me.

Every time I come home it feels right, so I'm coming home.
View Quote
MI has gotten a lot better for gun owners over the last 5 years and like you said the economy kinda sucks everywhere.   If we can hang on to the state congress and the Governorship we can really make progress over the next 5 years.   I'd like the pistol registry go away.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
As imperfect as Michigan still is, I would choose it in a heartbeat over Illinois. I'm in Oakland County, and it's not too bad. I'd rather be in the desert, but Michigan doesn't have any of that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sure you folks will allow me back in -

I went over to the dark side some years back and am a Blackhawks fan.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Most of us couldn't care less about pro sports.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I just finished grad school and I am moving back in two weeks. I have lived in a couple different states including GA, ME, UT, and NV. There really is no place like MI. Even though some of the people may seem...wacky...they are nothing compared to trying to deal with a californian. They really are from an alternate reality
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

We will have to bring you back to the right side.   I am in central Oakland County and I have to be in downtown Detroit and the surrounding "neighborhoods" quite frequently for work.  The commute is not bad at all.
Give thought to the Milford, Rochester, and Clarkston areas.  They are clean, fun, affordable, and the commute is not horrible.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I just moved back here in June after 15 years in Chicago. I am also in Oakland county, and it is pretty decent out here. Wyandotte seems like it has really become a hot spot. It seems really nice. A lot of the people I work with live down there.

Mike F
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just moved back here in June after 15 years in Chicago. I am also in Oakland county, and it is pretty decent out here. Wyandotte seems like it has really become a hot spot. It seems really nice. A lot of the people I work with live down there.

Mike F
View Quote

Wyandotte a hot spot now? I can't imagine! I went to Catholic high school in Wyandotte. Would sit out at Bishop Park in the summer on the river and watch the Lakes freighters go by.

I was thinking about Novi, actually. I have some friends from the Chicago area who moved out to the Detroit area due to work about a year ago. They're renting a condo in Novi or Northville, I can't remember which.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Depending on where your industry is, id probably choose st. Clair shores anywhere past hall road.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Depending on where your industry is, id probably choose st. Clair shores anywhere past hall road.
View Quote

Probably either downtown near the Ambassador Bridge or out by Metro.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Not crazy at all, though Chicago is a great city, the traffic and IL gun laws are insane. Metro Detroit and Mi in general are very gun friendly. Our MI CPL is honored in 40 States! We've got legalized machine guns, SBR/SBS and suppressors. State preemption so no local gun laws more restrictive than State, and if you've a mind, open carry is legal. If we can get rid of the concealed carry prohibited areas (got close in 2012/2013, then Sandy Hook happened), we'll be about as good as we can get (except getting rid of handgun registration altogether).

If making a living isn't an issue, Michigan is a great place to live!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anywhere in the city limits could go Ferguson quickly. There are also limited options for grocery and other shopping in the city.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#21]
No freaking way I'd live in Detroit. That's where companies for my industry.are generally located.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I believe MI is in the early stages of a recovery. It took along time to rehab & relearn how to work right, after the economic paralysis and DEPRESSION brought to us by GRANHOLM and OBAMA.

GR & TC are bustling.  The cities along the I-75 corridor will remain terrible for long while.  NE MI will never recover economically as it appears to be abandoned both economically & politically.

Moving back now will get you in as we regain steam.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As imperfect as Michigan still is, I would choose it in a heartbeat over Illinois. I'm in Oakland County, and it's not too bad. I'd rather be in the desert, but Michigan doesn't have any of that.
View Quote

No kidding. I have a good friend in Crystal Lake, IL that I visit once or twice a year and I can't wait to get out of there-it's crowded in Chicago and you can just feel the stress in every person you talk to.

Western Oakland County is where you want to be right now. Completely different attitude to Wayne County and the area has good freeway accessibility for getting to work.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:20:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wyandotte a hot spot now? I can't imagine! I went to Catholic high school in Wyandotte. Would sit out at Bishop Park in the summer on the river and watch the Lakes freighters go by.

I was thinking about Novi, actually. I have some friends from the Chicago area who moved out to the Detroit area due to work about a year ago. They're renting a condo in Novi or Northville, I can't remember which.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike F

You must make a great living, Novi/Northville are really expensive places to live.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#25]
We (my husband and kids and I) lived right in downtown Northville, and then we moved to Novi for a few years. Both were nice places to live. Northville has a downtown area where you can walk around and visit shops, the theater, the library, restaurants, etc. Novi is more spread out, though they do have Twelve Oaks and Fountain Walk. We moved to Livonia 3 years ago (my husband grew up here) and I really like it. Again it's more spread out but it's a great city with good schools (if you don't have kids that won't matter to you). It's also super easy to get downtown from here, just jump on 96 almost the whole way. They are also building a lot of restaurants and such around here, which will be nice to have closer to home.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/livonia-sees-business-boom/23113164
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You must make a great living, Novi/Northville are really expensive places to live.
View Quote

I do pretty decently. But I'd forgotten how expensive those two towns are.

My company's Detroit area branch just had a customs broker position come open. But I am not applying for the transfer. It's not a good fit for a number of reasons. I cannot stand the big boss in that office. I've had to deal with him enough when the now-former broker would be on vacation and I'd have to do their customs clearances from my office in Chicago (the broker was the only one who knew how to do them). Plus, the position is half export shipments. I loathe doing export. Hate it. Plus, I've been doing import exclusively for the past 8 years, so I've pretty much forgotten how to do it.

So, it's not a good fit. I'd be applying in a flash if it was a fit. I told my GM that today.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I just spent 2 years working in Detroit of and on. I stayed in Southgate, a 20 minute drive to downtown if you go early. I'd take a good look at Wyandotte if I were to stay. Detroit has its own income tax, so they can keep people with jobs from living there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just spent 2 years working in Detroit of and on. I stayed in Southgate, a 20 minute drive to downtown if you go early. I'd take a good look at Wyandotte if I were to stay. Detroit has its own income tax, so they can keep people with jobs from living there.
View Quote

I remember about the Detroit income tax. 20+ years ago I worked briefly in Hamtramck. Got hit with the Detroit income tax.

I grew up around Wyandotte, Southgate, etc. No way would I live in Detroit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been working on plans to move back to SE Michigan for next year.  It's really not a bad option anymore!  My original plan was for March,  but I've hit a few roadblocks for that deadline.  

I'm debating either my home town of Ypsi or Redford.  Might sound like bad options,  but they are kind of the areas that I liked living in.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#30]
If you are working in Detroit itself, forget living anywhere north of Detroit. The rush hour traffic is horrendous.  I had routinely sat on I-75 at a crawl or standstill and a drive that should take 30 min would usually take 1.5 hours and sometimes over 2.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I am thinking about heading back to MI myself.  My company just posted a position in Utica that I am really considering applying for.  The only caveat I have is that I grew up in W MI and I am tired of being in a "big city" (Orlando).

I have been looking on Zillow and Realtor.com at places to live.  It looks like if I move it is going to be the Chesterfield area or NW of Utica about 15 to 20 miles.  Are these good areas?

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Utica is far north enough that you can be 'not in the city' with a fairly short commute. Northern Oakland And most of Macomb counties are nice places to live.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Buy my house. North Oakland County. PM me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#34]
You've looked at Ford, correct?

Lots of good places to live.  I'd recommend north of the cities that have been discussed.  I'm in White Lake.  Brighton and Milford are nice too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Lots of good places to live.  I'd recommend north of the cities that have been discussed.  I'm in White Lake.  Brighton and Milford are nice too.
View Quote

Another vote for the Brighton area.  

In 2008 my former firm relocated me back to Michigan from Atlanta after living there 14 years.  The commute is not that bad if you need to get to east side or downtown.

Quality life is good, low crime, and Livingston County politics leans toward conservative.  Although, I do see a few O stickers from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, I'd not be looking at Ford. My dad worked there for more than 30 years, mostly in logistics, which is how I got into the industry. I will not work for an automaker. Crap goes south and out you go. No, thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top