Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2014 6:13:12 PM EDT
Okay, so I've recently finished my first AR-15 build and I would like to go to the range soon to start shooting. But I had a quick question first. And that is. Can I transport my AR-15 and the ammo in the same case or do I need to keep them separate?

Here is the case I was looking at getting . Condor Double Rifle Case I would probably keep the ammo in one of the front pouches.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can transport ammunition in the same case as the firearm, just not in the firearm. Loaded mags do not constitute a loaded firearm until they are placed in the firearm, so you can put loaded mags in the pockets if you want.

Just make sure the case is either locked or in a separate part of the vehicle than the driver (trunk, truck bed tool box, etc).

Enjoy your trip to the range!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep a copy of this in my glove box, just in case I run into a LEO who thinks the law states otherwise:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._66_238184_7.pdf
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes you can transport ammunition in the same case as the firearm, just not in the firearm. Loaded mags do not constitute a loaded firearm until they are placed in the firearm, so you can put loaded mags in the pockets if you want.

Just make sure the case is either locked or in a separate part of the vehicle than the driver (trunk, truck bed tool box, etc).

Enjoy your trip to the range!
View Quote

Nothing said about being locked here. Just "encased".

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, the law says unloaded and  1)in a case, or 2)taken down, or 3)in the trunk, or 4)inaccessible from the interior.

Pretty easy to follow. You could have the upper and lower separated and sitting in the front seat of you wanted. As long as the magazine isn't in the gun, there aren't any laws concerning loaded mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top