Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2014 10:15:00 AM EDT
The wife said the other day my son asked to go to the zoo again.  Two years ago we took them to Potters Park in Lansing and it was a good trip the kids really liked it.  So I was just wondering if there are other Zoos in Michigan that people have been to that you recommend?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Theirs a smaller one by Birch Run that was pretty cool.

Actually,here ya go.This has all the zoos here.

I went to this one when I was young.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a FYI Binder Park Zoo is a "weapons free zone".
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The Toledo zoo is a very good one. About 15 miles over the border. If you live in the Detroit area, this is a good option.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't see zoos listed as prohibited places under MCL 28.425o.

Is Binder Park a privately owned zoo with a "no guns" policy?

Because if it is owned by state or local government, they are preempted, and cannot ban firearms.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys.   I was leaning towards Binder or John Ball.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

There's no legal weight to those policies. Yes, you are legally trespassing by ignoring the signs, but that is the extent of it. If they make your carry, just leave when they ask you to and nothing should come of it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Detroit Zoo is still a top zoo in the midwest.  Contrary to popular belief it is not in Detroit but Pleasant Ridge and Kwame's name is not on the water tower any longer.  Reasonable rates and great exhibits that change regularly.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the Birch Run zoo best.    We went there last month and got lucky, the owner was walking through and talking about the different animals and playing with many of them.   The white tiger was trying to play with him like a house cat and the male lion ran right over and layed down to be petted like a dog.   The African porcupines weren't out when my boys were looking for them so he went inside their cage and called the one out, it came right out to him.   They had baby cows, pygmy goats and a baby miniature horse for the kids to pet.   Its right down the road from from Frankenmuth and if you pick the day you can hit the Birch Run gun show too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like the Birch Run zoo best.    We went there last month and got lucky, the owner was walking through and talking about the different animals and playing with many of them.   The white tiger was trying to play with him like a house cat and the male lion ran right over and layed down to be petted like a dog.   The African porcupines weren't out when my boys were looking for them so he went inside their cage and called the one out, it came right out to him.   They had baby cows, pygmy goats and a baby miniature horse for the kids to pet.   Its right down the road from from Frankenmuth and if you pick the day you can hit the Birch Run gun show too.
View Quote

Cool. Thanks for the heads up on that one. Ive seen the signs but never paid much attention. Have to make it a stop.

We are Detroit Zoo members. Really enjoy going there. A lot nicer than when I went there as a kid. All the Oakland/Macomb Co tax dollars have helped. We attend a lot of the special events there also. Halloween is fun.

We've also been to the Cindy Lou Zoo in Roscommon. Pretty nice. Worth it if your up that way but wouldn't make a special trip. If you are up that way,  hit the Ogemaw Deer Park (north of West Branch) also. Its free admission. Just pay for feed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a Detroit Zoo member and grew up 2 miles from the Zoo.  It actually resides in multiple Cities including Huntington Woods and Royal Oak.  I was not aware that it was located also in Pleasant Ridge but all the cities come together at the Zoo location.  It is not staffed as well as the Toledo Zoo but I think the layout is better.  I just visited the Toledo Zoo this weekend and I do agree it is a very nice zoo .  The Detroit zoo also includes the Zoo on Belle Isle, so if you are a member you have access to both.  My little boys enjoy the zoo, so the family membership is well wort the price.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Cool. Thanks for the heads up on that one. Ive seen the signs but never paid much attention. Have to make it a stop.

We are Detroit Zoo members. Really enjoy going there. A lot nicer than when I went there as a kid. All the Oakland/Macomb Co tax dollars have helped. We attend a lot of the special events there also. Halloween is fun.

We've also been to the Cindy Lou Zoo in Roscommon. Pretty nice. Worth it if your up that way but wouldn't make a special trip. If you are up that way,  hit the Ogemaw Deer Park (north of West Branch) also. Its free admission. Just pay for feed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll have to take my boys by that Ogemaw Deer Park that sounds cool.    The Birch Run zoo doesn't have the fancy landscaped enclosures for the animals but they didn't seem to be bothered by it, they seemed more calm than the other zoos I have been to.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:01:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Detroit Zoo is definitely the best in Michigan. Like stated, its not in Detroit, but a northern border city. Its right off the freeway, easy in, easy out. Afterwards, you are right near Royal Oak, so there will be a lot of places to eat and walk around.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone been to the Saginaw Childrens Zoo? Is the area around it decent?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top