Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2014 12:53:37 AM EDT
https://mucc.org/approved-expansion-certain-rifles-shotgun-zone/?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=

"On June 12, 2014, the NRC approved this change in hunting regulations!

Now called the “Limited Firearm Deer Zone”, the added firearms for deer hunting include:

A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external high-compression power source such as an external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor."

I'm excited, slug guns suck.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#1]
What's so fun about shooting deer with the Red Ryder?

Nah, but seriously, sometimes I wonder why the slug-rifle line even exists..
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's so fun about shooting deer with the Red Ryder?

Nah, but seriously, sometimes I wonder why the slug-rifle line even exists..
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the line exists because rifle bullets will usually travel farther than slugs due to the different ballistic coefficients. Slugs decelerate more quickly and therefore don't travel as far before they drop to the ground.

The rifle line essentially divides the densley populated portion of the state from the sparsely populated portion of the state. It's there so that there is a lower chance of a rifle bullet traveling into a populated area. It's another law that was a good idea, but in reality is only enforceable after the fact, it does nothing to stop it beforehand.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#3]
While I agree this is certainly the intent...it's ignorant simply because it only applies for 2 weeks out if the year. The rest of the year I can shoot squirrels with a 30/06 in the shotgun zone or hunt coyotes with a 300 win mag. Stupid freakin rule and is especially outdated since the law was changed to allow hunting from tree stands during gun season

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
While I agree this is certainly the intent...it's ignorant simply because it only applies for 2 weeks out if the year. The rest of the year I can shoot squirrels with a 30/06 in the shotgun zone or hunt coyotes with a 300 win mag. Stupid freakin rule and is especially outdated since the law was changed to allow hunting from tree stands during gun season

View Quote

I think the concern is during that 2 weeks, there are way more people shooting, especially folks who never handle a firearm other than that 2 week period.  My house in considered to be in the boondocks, and the nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, but when the corn is down, I can see houses and cars a mile away, and I know there's other hunters in the wooded areas much closer than that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#5]
This change should open up a lot of opportunity to new hunters, and it'll be a lot cheaper and easier to take my kids with a .357 than a 20ga slug gun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now called the “Limited Firearm Deer Zone”, the added firearms for deer hunting include:

A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
View Quote

Guess that means I will need a new rifle as I do not have one that meets these specs
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think the concern is during that 2 weeks, there are way more people shooting, especially folks who never handle a firearm other than that 2 week period.  My house in considered to be in the boondocks, and the nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, but when the corn is down, I can see houses and cars a mile away, and I know there's other hunters in the wooded areas much closer than that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. While most of here on this forum are proficient with weapons, think of how many fudds there are that don't touch their rifle except for that 2 week deer season. I'd bet more than half of the deer hunters don't touch the rifle outside of deer season.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly. While most of here on this forum are proficient with weapons, think of how many fudds there are that don't touch their rifle except for that 2 week deer season. I'd bet more than half of the deer hunters don't touch the rifle outside of deer season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be completely honest, I'm guilty of this. I shoot my ARs and other rifles quite often, but never my slug gun outside sighting in and hunting. Cost and recoil being the biggest limiting factors for me. I've been using a 44mag super red hawk for the last couple years for that exact reason.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is primarily my beef with the boundary rule. I'm pretty sure that If I'm shooting from a tree stand towards the ground, chances are very very slim that the bullet will not stop past the ground or ricochet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is primarily my beef with the boundary rule. I'm pretty sure that If I'm shooting from a tree stand towards the ground, chances are very very slim that the bullet will not stop past the ground or ricochet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If everyone hunted that way, it wouldn't be an issue.  Unfortunately, they do not, and a shot across a bean field could hit somebody's livestock, buildings, equipment, or loved ones.

I live near the Indiana border, and I see the gun stores over the border stock the Ruger M77 chambered in .44 magnum around deer season.  Either that or a lever action would be suitable for hunting down here.

Edited to add:  it appears 50 Beowulf and 450 Bushmaster's case length falls under the length restriction, and both are straight walled cases.  Maybe it's time to buy another upper
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Guess that means I will need a new rifle as I do not have one that meets these specs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dam it. I just sold my sons .357 Handi Rifle. That sucker was a tack driver and with Hornady or Buffalo Bore ammo had plenty of power for deer <100 yards where I hunt. Might have to pick up that lever action I've been looking at.

Good change. Didn't make sense that you could hunt with an Encore pistol with 10" barrel but not a lever action or Handi Rifle in the same caliber.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Speaking of Encores, Indiana's pistol cartridge law did not specify straight walls, and cartridges such as the .358 BFG were invented.  It's a .300 WSM necked up to take a 225 grain .358 projectile.  Performance is supposed to be similar to a 35 Whelen.  My understanding is former Arfcom member Captain Schofield (passed away in 2011) was the guy who designed it and had an Encore barrel chambered for it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Just so I'm clear on this when we say case length we do mean literally case length correct? Not case overall length which would include the bullet as well.  In other words, not only would a 9 be a no go, but so would, 40, 45, and 10mm.  This would however allow things like the 45LC, 50 Beo, 41 Mag etc.  Is this a correct interpretation or did i misinterpret the NRC's meaning of Case length?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just so I'm clear on this when we say case length we do mean literally case length correct? Not case overall length which would include the bullet as well.  In other words, not only would a 9 be a no go, but so would, 40, 45, and 10mm.  This would however allow things like the 45LC, 50 Beo, 41 Mag etc.  Is this a correct interpretation or did i misinterpret the NRC's meaning of Case length?
View Quote

This is a good question. The .500 S&W has a case length of 1.625 but an overall length over 2 inches, so if just giong by case length it would be acceptable (Note: I am not familiar with the 500 s&w and personally, I would consider the 45 lc or 44 mag if I was to get a rifle to meet the specs, but I am far from an expert)
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is a good question. The .500 S&W has a case length of 1.625 but an overall length over 2 inches, so if just giong by case length it would be acceptable (Note: I am not familiar with the 500 s&w and personally, I would consider the 45 lc or 44 mag if I was to get a rifle to meet the specs, but I am far from an expert)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like they used the text largely from mi hb 4283 2013, we know what case length means, but I haven't found this change on the DNR website yet so it may still be up for interpretation.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Case" length is just that: the length of the brass case. "Cartridge" length is the overall length of the whole loaded round (primer, brass, powder, and bullet, as assembled).

Now whether the DNR defines cartridge and xase, I do not know.

1.16" gives you anything the length of a .38  Spl. case or longer. And 1.8" max means you can shoot a cartridge as long as a .460S&W, but no longer.

You can shoot a 3.5" shotgun slug, but not a .45-70 or .444 Marlin.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The one thing they didn't appear to consider is the use of a smaller diameter projectile in a sabot (it specifies the caliber of the rifle, not the diameter of the projectile).  

So you could get a .357 Maximum loaded with a .223 or .243 bullet, zipping out there at 2300 fps. maybe 3000 fps.  As long as you could get a consistent set of sabots so you get decent accuracy, it would make for an interesting way to stretch your range with a longer, lighter bullet.  

Some discussion here.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Would 450 Bushmaster qualify?  I believe the case length is 1.7 inches.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:49:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes,  already ordered a 450 Bushmaster upper.   After shooting it,  it really is a thumper!!!!!!

Joe

Quoted:
Would 450 Bushmaster qualify?  I believe the case length is 1.7 inches.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Ohhhhhh......Bambi gonna PAY!

The old Ruger 44Carbine is hell on milk jugs at 200M with Speer 270's, and it's been too long since I dragged the thing up north.
Now I don't have to.

.460 S&W in a proper bolt rifle, or a.450 Bushmaster upper sounds good too.

Dadgum Deer around here shifted thier travel pattern 8 years ago, from our woods, to the creek line, clear accross open Blueberry field and nowhere to hang a stand within reasonable shotgun range.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#21]
So where are we at on this ? Other than the link above I find no info on the change ?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So where are we at on this ? Other than the link above I find no info on the change ?
View Quote

It might take a while, but at some point the DNR website should address this.

I'm ready to start on a 450 Bushmaster, but I don't want to do so until the DNR issues some sort of opinion or interpretation that would give me comfort that they are ok with that caliber.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Figures, I just built a 458 socom.  While im not regreting that choice, I kinda wish they left the straight wall language out.  How does headspace method affect danger of projectile.   Obviously,  we have amature politicians writing rules again. I almost never hunt down here but when i do id prefer to take something other than a slug.  Honestly I feel modern slug guns and certainly breachload blackpowder guns are more dangerous.  The sabot comment is also intriguing,  one could load a screaming .30 cal in a 450 bushmaster that would have more velocity than most common rifle calibers.  

Mandatory elevated platform hunting would completely solve accidental shootings.  I dont call failure to identify game an accident...  but... then youd have to allow some disabled folks to hunt from the ground....

I wont complain too much, the nrc seems to be making less regulation rather than more.  We really need to start attacking the suppressor while hunting prohibition.  It makes zero sense to think a lawful nfa holder is out poaching.  It would already be a hefty prison sentence to be caught poaching with an illegal suppressor.   Why not just leave it at that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#24]
How does headspace method affect danger of projectile.
View Quote

IHeadspace method has little to do with it.  There is no restriction between rimmed and rimless cases.  I'm guessing the intent of requiring straight waled cartridges is to keep the effective range of the projectile down, and prevent folks from using necked down wildcats that have similar performance to longer range rifle cartridges.

Mandatory elevated platform hunting would completely solve accidental shootings. I dont call failure to identify game an accident... but... then youd have to allow some disabled folks to hunt from the ground....
View Quote

Shooting from an elevated platform in a dense woods is different than shooting from a platform on the edge of a beanfield, where shots of 400 plus yards are more than possible.  At some point the angle you're shooting at isn't going to prevent a bullet from ricocheting off the ground.

Regarding the bill's language and owning a 458 SOCOM, I agree it sucks.  The 458 would make a great reduced-range hunting cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the 2014 Hunting and Trapping Digest, page 21 at http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf?20140701115925

Originally Posted By Michigan DNR:
All Firearm Deer Seasons - Limited Firearm Deer Zone
(See pg. 12)
In the limited firearm deer zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer
hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm
restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:
• A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
• A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black
powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
• A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and
loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but
cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and
magazine combined.
• During the firearm deer seasons, a firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow
and arrow, crossbow and firearm.
Exceptions:
See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons
above for restrictions during this season.
• Centerfire or rimfire may be used Dec. 1 - Nov. 9 in the limited firearm deer zone
during the open seasons.
Exception:
Rifles may NOT be used for deer, turkeys,
migratory game birds and certain furbearers (see pgs. 48-49 for Nighttime
Furbearer Regulations).
• A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum
case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
• A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external
high-compression power source, or a muzzle-loading rifle.

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

From the 2014 Hunting and Trapping Digest, page 21 at http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf?20140701115925

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(See pg. 12)
In the limited firearm deer zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer
hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm
restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:
magazine combined.
Exceptions:
• Centerfire or rimfire may be used Dec. 1 - Nov. 9 in the limited firearm deer zone
during the open seasons.
Exception:
Furbearer Regulations).
• A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum

We don't have the new guides yet but that is good news thanks for the update !
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

NP, I have been watching this as I need a good excuse to buy another lever gun
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Very Nice, I hunt in the Rifle Zone with a Shotgun now...but I would like to reload Bambi Bullets.

Now that I can do this I'll pick up something in like 44mag or 454 cause since I might have access to some land closer to home in Zone 3 sometime soon so I have options for both.

Only rifle I have is my AR in 223...not really what I want to use for deer (even though some do).
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but it should have been decided by county or community, not statewide. There are plenty of boondocks counties under the rifle line.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, but it should have been decided by county or community, not statewide. There are plenty of boondocks counties under the rifle line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are longer range firearms in the woods now and there hasn't been a major problem. Out of the fifteen years selling slugs we had two officers in with lead dug out of houses. You can't fix stupid  
A good friend killed a doe at 440 yards with a ultimate muzzle loader and we have been trying do so at 500 yards. I believe this is beyond the range of most pistol cartridges.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There are longer range firearms in the woods now and there hasn't been a major problem. Out of the fifteen years selling slugs we had two officers in with lead dug out of houses. You can't fix stupid  
A good friend killed a doe at 440 yards with a ultimate muzzle loader and we have been trying do so at 500 yards. I believe this is beyond the range of most pistol cartridges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is rather my point, that a one-size-fits-all solution does not work in this case. Plus I really wanted an excuse to buy a 458 socom upper.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I too wish that the .458 SOCOM was eligible under this...  I just finished building mine,  and I plan to move back home to MI in the next 6-8 months.  

I'm not very excited about hunting with a shotgun again.  
Using a .300 blackout for short range has worked exceptionally well my last two seasons with deer.  Suppressors are even legal here too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Now I have to decide whether to build a 450 Bushmaster or a 50 Beowulf.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you plan to reload, find out what is easier to find in stock.  Price for hunting ammo is about the same.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
For some reason,completely unknown to me,I haven't taken my beowulf out yet.And I've had it for a good 5 years or so!

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

For some reason,completely unknown to me,I haven't taken my beowulf out yet.And I've had it for a good 5 years or so!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ironically you're in the rifle zone anyway aren't you?    

Unrelated now I'm kicking myself for not buying a bunch of 450 bushmaster last year.   The academy sports in Wichita Falls had a pile of it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unrelated now I'm kicking myself for not buying a bunch of 450 bushmaster last year.   The academy sports in Wichita Falls had a pile of it.
That I am. Last couple of years,used my Larue Stealth. This season gonna use the 6.8.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I got a 6.8 together a couple years ago and I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Good ta have ya on board DAC!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!!

The Cousin and I stretch the legs of .260 and a couple .300RUM's shooting woodchucks, and doing block permit culling.
Crap, my Blueberry field justifies a good flat shooting centerfire.

The change is good, but it still ignores the reality of the western side not being as congested as the East.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

"Case" length is just that: the length of the brass case. "Cartridge" length is the overall length of the whole loaded round (primer, brass, powder, and bullet, as assembled).

1.16" gives you anything the length of a .38  Spl. case or longer. And 1.8" max means you can shoot a cartridge as long as a .460S&W, but no longer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you can shoot a .50-70
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(See pg. 12)
magazine combined.
Exceptions:
during the open seasons.
Exception:
Furbearer Regulations).

So in the new guide for the year it states that's Centerfire or Rimfire may be used Dec 1-Nov 9 in the limited firearm deer zone during the open season. Am I missing something with theses dates; Dec to Nov? And does this include all calipers or is it just the .35  caliber or larger?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So in the new guide for the year it states that's Centerfire or Rimfire may be used Dec 1-Nov 9 in the limited firearm deer zone during the open season. Am I missing something with theses dates; Dec to Nov? And does this include all calipers or is it just the .35  caliber or larger?
View Quote

Not having read that part lately I believe it is stated that way so you can use any firearm in the limited deer firearm zone to hunt things other than deer during those times w/ any firearm.  OTOH you must adhere to the .35 caliber or larger rules during deer season.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#46]
I kind of figured; but it could be worded a little clearer I guess.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

This sounds like you can use your .300 Win mag for shooting rabbits and squirrels all year long except Nov 9th -30th, but you can't use it to shoot  "deer, turkeys, migratory game birds and certain furbearers."

Why would the new "Restricted Rifle" regulations exclude pistol rounds that are acceptable in a pistol. I can use a 45ACP in a handgun but not carbine.  (Case length of 45ACP is less than 1.16")

Has anyone compiled a list of acceptable Options under the new regulations?

.357 Mag
.41 Mag
.44 Mag
.45LC
.450 Bushmaster
.454 Casull
.460 S&W Magnum
.50 Beowulf
.500 S&W

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This sounds like you can use your .300 Win mag for shooting rabbits and squirrels all year long except Nov 9th -30th, but you can't use it to shoot  "deer, turkeys, migratory game birds and certain furbearers."

Why would the new "Restricted Rifle" regulations exclude pistol rounds that are acceptable in a pistol. I can use a 45ACP in a handgun but not carbine.  (Case length of 45ACP is less than 1.16")

.357 Mag
.41 Mag
.44 Mag
.45LC
.450 Bushmaster
.454 Casull
.460 S&W Magnum
.50 Beowulf
.500 S&W

View All Quotes
Quoted:

.357 Mag
.41 Mag
.44 Mag
.45LC
.450 Bushmaster
.454 Casull
.460 S&W Magnum
.50 Beowulf
.500 S&W

.480 Ruger

Custom / wildcat calibers:

.475 Linebaugh
.500 Linebaugh
.38/44 Bain & Davis

These are a little dated but still available:

.50-70 Gov't
.44-40
.38-40
.44 Special
.351 Winchester

Plus there's a whole bunch of obsolete cartridges that fit the bill if you want to go through the effort.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#49]
oops... double post
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Wish i had not sold my Win 94 .357 Mag now.

Can't use my .38-40, .30-30 or .45-70.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top