Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 12:43:59 PM EDT
Having found myself very close to the Canadian border (like just a few miles from the Blue Water Bridge) I figure their is probably one in the area, but I have never visited one before, what can I expect? I have heard stories about under cover ICE agents hanging around the parking lots, and having people who "bought to much" pulled over, fined, and all their stuff being confiscated, does this happen? If so what is the arbitrary limit? What kind of merchandise can I find there?, is it just booze, and cigarettes, or is other stuff there to? How good are the prices really? Can I carry there?, or is it somehow federally off limits? Is state sales tax still collected? How does the whole "duty free" thing work?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone told you ICE agents are working legal OUTBOUND alcohol sales?

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone told you ICE agents are working legal OUTBOUND alcohol sales?

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Having found myself very close to the Canadian border (like just a few miles from the Blue Water Bridge) I figure their is probably one in the area, but I have never visited one before, what can I expect? I have heard stories about under cover ICE agents hanging around the parking lots, and having people who "bought to much" pulled over, fined, and all their stuff being confiscated, does this happen? If so what is the arbitrary limit? What kind of merchandise can I find there?, is it just booze, and cigarettes, or is other stuff there to? How good are the prices really? Can I carry there?, or is it somehow federally off limits? Is state sales tax still collected? How does the whole "duty free" thing work?
View Quote
Duty Free on our side is for people going to Canada. They have one way tire spikes to force you to cross the bridge after entering the duty free lot.

Mostly it's just giant bottles/cases of alcohol at crap prices (good for Canadians, as there's no Ontario taxes on it), overprice cigarettes, chocolate and other garbage gifts (perfume, purses, stuff no person without a coke habit and a mistress buys).

Carry is an effective no, as you will be entering Canada afterwards, where handguns without a Canadian permit (and approved import papers) are a big fat felony, but a Canadian one, so usually a big fine and your pistol confiscated (as opposed to our obsession with jailing people) along with being banned from entering Canada again for several months/years, and being placed on a "vehicle search required" list.

Sales tax is collected as normal, though Canadians don't mind because ours is less than in Ontario.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top