User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nah. They'll be contenders again next year. We've still got Porcello and Price who are both still young. We've got Iggy coming back, we've got JD coming back, Miggy is hardly past his prime, and he and JV both had surgery in the offseason, which limited their pre-season preparations.

The Tigers need to fix the bullpen and they need a new left fielder to replace Torii Hunter. They will probably be adding Moya or Collins to the bench. They're still a good team, and they'll contend again next year. They just need to fix the shitty bullpen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hard times on the horizon in my opinion. All of the legit players the Tigers have are a year older and the only one that'll help is Castellano's. Miggy and Verlander's massive contracts kick in limiting their options on going after big time game changers and they are going to be losing some people to free agency. The Tigers are now going to resemble the Yanks with a couple aging super stars and a lot of AA -AAA stiffs filling out the roster.

Nah. They'll be contenders again next year. We've still got Porcello and Price who are both still young. We've got Iggy coming back, we've got JD coming back, Miggy is hardly past his prime, and he and JV both had surgery in the offseason, which limited their pre-season preparations.

The Tigers need to fix the bullpen and they need a new left fielder to replace Torii Hunter. They will probably be adding Moya or Collins to the bench. They're still a good team, and they'll contend again next year. They just need to fix the shitty bullpen.

JV's been going downhill for 3 years he ain't coming back to his former self despite what Rod's selling. Iggy's been sidelined twice in two years and it's far from certain he's ever going to be more than a top notch fielder. KC is on it's way up Tigers are going to fade just like every other veteran team in history. This team has struggled to put away it's lousy division there's nothing to point to that says they are going to be better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Was a weird vibe in the Park tonight...

Till next season!

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I read this facebook post on a local sports radio fb page, I thought it was fucking spot on.

I contend the Tigers' fixation on having a superstar-studded roster is the wrong approach to winning championships. Baseball is more of a team sport than the NBA, NHL and NFL. In those sports, the superstars can step up and deliver when the game is on the line. That's not as possible in baseball, due to fixed batting lineups, pitching rotations/pitch counts.

The Tigers had great starting pitching, but when Verlander and Scherzer are only going 6 innings because of high pitch counts, are they really worth their exorbitant salaries? I'd argue they're not, especially if the team has to scrimp on its relief corps and use a bunch of minor leaguers/reclamation projects to finish off the games.

In short: The Tigers need more balance, fewer big money superstars

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/10/detroit_tigers_max_scherzer_ex.html

DETROIT -- Max Scherzer isn't sure what the future holds for him.

The reigning AL Cy Young Award winner could open next season as a member of the New York Yankees. Or the Boston Red Sox. Or perhaps the Los Angeles Angels.

Then again, there's still a chance he could stay in Detroit.

Scherzer wasn't in the mood to address his future after Sunday's season-ending loss to Baltimore in the ALDS, but he did acknowledge that he'd like to remain in Detroit.

"I do hope I'm back," Scherzer said after the Tigers' 2-1 loss. "I love this clubhouse, love the players in here. I've gone to battle with these guys for five years."

Scherzer is expected to enter the offseason as one of the most highly touted starting pitchers available on the free-agent market, along with James Shields and Jon Lester.

All three pitchers are expected to garner interest from a bevy of teams, including the Yankees, Red Sox and Chicago Cubs. However, the Tigers could be in the mix, too, as they'd have a giant hole to fill with the potential departure of Scherzer.

"I love being in this clubhouse," Scherzer said when asked if he'd like to return to Detroit. "I'd love to be back."

As it stands right now, at least four of the team's five current starting pitchers are expected to open the season in the rotation next year. Justin Verlander, Rick Porcello, Anibal Sanchez and David Price will all be back.

It's possible the Tigers could have a handful of prospects compete for the No. 5 spot in the rotation. Drew VerHagen, Robbie Ray, Kyle Lobstein and Buck Farmer could all be considered.

Then again, the Tigers may attempt to try and fill the fifth spot with a free-agent addition. And it's possible they could enter into a bidding war for Scherzer, despite having ended contract talks with Scott Boras, Scherzer's agent, earlier this season.

Scherzer took a gamble this past spring when he turned down a lucrative contract offer from the Tigers, which was reported to be worth $144 million over six years.

The contract would've placed Scherzer among the top six highest-paid players in baseball, based on average annual salary. Instead, Scherzer reportedly turned down the offer and contract talks were tabled for the season.

Asked whether he has a timeline for when he'd like to have his future nailed down, Scherzer said he couldn't "predict anything about the offseason." But if the Tigers express interest in bringing him back, he would most certainly listen.

"It's unbelievable when you consider how much talent is in here and types of guys we have in this clubhouse," Scherzer said. "Hopefully, we can find a way to get back together and do it again in 2015."

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
well, for a $144 million, they could fill the bullpen, with some quality closers, and have money left over, get rid of coke, jaba, trade off nathen, i would rather see one of the rookies fill the fifth spot in rotation, if we have some quality late inning pitchers, then mad Max does not matter
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if the Tigers are going to pull up and rebuild.

Max, Vmart, Joba, Coke, Hunter and Jim Johnson are all free agents this year. Soria could be gone if the Tigers don't pick up his option too.

Unless Porcello and Price extend then they'll be eligible for free agency after next year. Soria, Nathan, Kelly, Avila and Davis, would all be free agents too.

Sanchez, Al Al, Kinsler and JD are locked up through 2017. Verlander is locked up through 2019 and Miggy is locked up through 2023.

If the Tigers wanted to, then they could let all their free agents walk and rebuild this team. It probably wouldn't be much of a contender, especially after next season, but too keep their stars is going to cost them a fortune. The upside would be that it might not be a long rebuilding turn around.

They would have Nick, JD, Miggy, Kinsler, Davis and Iggy in the lineup/field next year. They could bring up Moya to play left, McCann as the backup catcher and Collins as a utility outfielder. They could keep Romine as the utility infielder. They'd have Price, Porcello, Sanchez, Verlander and Lobstein in the rotation.

Maybe if they're out of it by the second half then they could trade all kinds of guys for some pitching prospects at the deadline. They could trade Price, Porcello, Nathan, Soria, Davis and Avila and get back a ton of pitching prospects and maybe be back in it by 2016 or 2017.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

well, for a $144 million, they could fill the bullpen, with some quality closers, and have money left over, get rid of coke, jaba, trade off nathen, i would rather see one of the rookies fill the fifth spot in rotation, if we have some quality late inning pitchers, then mad Max does not matter
View Quote

Give up one of the starters like Price, Porcello or Verlander, and I bet you could get 2 good arms in the pen. I just don't see the need to have 4 starting pitchers who are good enough to be an ace for other teams, when you have to budget very tightly for crappy ass relief pitching that makes you lose games anyway.

Fuck the Cy Young and MVP, the only award that means anything for a fan base are championships.

We also need a more balanced lineup. Opposing teams could go one or two innings at a time before really feeling under threat from our hitting.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Give up one of the starters like Price, Porcello or Verlander, and I bet you could get 2 good arms in the pen. I just don't see the need to have 4 starting pitchers who are good enough to be an ace for other teams, when you have to budget very tightly for crappy ass relief pitching that makes you lose games anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck the Cy Young and MVP, the only award that means anything for a fan base are championships.

We also need a more balanced lineup. Opposing teams could go one or two innings at a time before really feeling under threat from our hitting.

I am already hearing rumors that they are willing to trade Price.

And stop ragging on Verlander! He has a no trade clause and WANTS to retire a Tiger. That alone should say something about his dedication. Also, he was a 15 game winner this season, and he was the only pitcher to leave a game with a lead in the ALDS. He is still plenty good enough, and he was the only one to get better down the stretch when it mattered most.

And let's not forget that a big part of the reason that Verlander's ERA is as high as it was is because every time he came out of a game with runners on base, the bullpen would those runs score before ending the inning.it happened a lot.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not bagging on Verlander. I'm just saying the Tigers need to stop thinking about winning via handful of superstars and start winning via having a complete team.

Look at all the teams that have won World Series titles without having a bunch mega stars on their teams. St Louis and San Francisco are good examples. Sure, they have one or two big names on their teams, but they have a balanced team, and they can manufacture runs. The Tigers, again, rely too much on getting runs by hitting the deep ball all the time.

I was just saying, if we aren't going to spend more money to get more hitters and upgrade the bullpen, than we're gonna have to trade away a few superstars in order to get the desired results.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Omar looked good for KC last night
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Alan Trammell has returned to the Detroit Tigers, this time as a special assistant to general manager Dave Dombrowski.

The Tigers today announced that Trammell will assist in on-field duties at both the major league and minor league levels, be involved in all personnel meetings, travel throughout the minor league system and participate in community relations.

"On behalf of ownership and the Detroit Tigers organization, we're thrilled Alan Trammell has returned to the ballclub," Dombrowski said in a released statement. "Tram will forever be revered as one of the greatest Tigers to ever wear the Old English D, and we view this as an opportunity to add an outstanding baseball person who offers a wealth of experience and perspective from his 20-plus seasons, all with the Tigers, and his most recent years of managing and coaching. It's great to have him back."

Trammell did not immediately respond to a call seeking comment.

"I am very excited to be back on board with the Tigers," Trammell said in the statement. "It is an honor to return to Detroit, and I am looking forward to working with Dave and contributing to the organization."

Trammell, 56, spent the previous four seasons as the bench coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Prior to his time in Arizona, Trammell was the bench coach for the Chicago Cubs in 2007-10, where he was part of back-to-back National League Central Division titles in 2007-08.

Trammell was the manager of the Tigers in 2003-05 and served as the club's hitting coach in 1999. In between his stints in Detroit, Trammell served as the first base coach of the San Diego Padres in 2000-02.

Trammell spent his entire 20-year playing career with the Tigers, hitting .285 with 185 home runs and 1,003 RBIs. He was a six-time American League All-Star, a three-time AL Silver Slugger and earned four AL Gold Gloves at shortstop.

Trammell and Hall of Famers Ty Cobb and Al Kaline are the only players to play 20 or more seasons with the Tigers.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Victor Martinez will return on 4-year, $68-million deal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Victor Martinez will return on 4-year, $68-million deal.
View Quote

Awesome!

We need a new thread!
Page / 23
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top