Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 23
Posted: 11/6/2013 2:37:09 AM EDT
The season is over, the World Series is over, the free agents may seek other contracts, the Jim Leyland era is over, Lloyd McClendon is a Mariner and we have a new manager in Detroit. It is time to put the 2013 season in the rear view and look forward to 2014.

Speaking of our new manager, Brad Ausmus had 6 career at bats against current Tigers pitchers. He has face Anibal Sanchez four times and Justin Verlander twice. Ausmus had a walk and a sacrifice RBI against Sanchez. Justin Verlander faced Brad Ausmus in two plate appearances and struck him out once.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Might as well get an early start.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit, So we're having to start all over with the coaching staff?
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Gene Lamont and Jeff Jones are going to be back as the bench coach and pitching coach, respectively. Dave Clark from the Astros will be the Third Base Coach.

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The 2014 Spring Training Schedule is out:

Detroit Tigers 2014 spring training schedule

(All games at 1:05 p.m. unless noted otherwise.)

• Feb. 25: Tigers vs. Florida Southern College

• Feb. 26: Tigers at Braves (Disney World)

• Feb. 27: Tigers vs. Braves

• Feb. 28: Tigers vs. Yankees

• Feb. 28: Tigers at Phillies (Clearwater)

• March 1: Tigers vs. Astros

• March 2: Tigers at Braves (Disney World)

• March 3: Tigers vs. Cardinals

• March 4: Tigers vs. Pirates

• March 5: Tigers at Astros (Kissimmee)

• March 6: Tigers vs. Phillies

• March 7: Tigers at Yankees (Tampa), 7:05 p.m.

• March 8: Tigers vs. Mets

• March 9: Tigers at Marlins (Jupiter)

• March 10: Tigers at Cardinals (Jupiter)

• March 11: Tigers vs. Blue Jays

• March 12: Tigers at Yankees (Tampa)

• March 13: Tigers vs. Marlins

• March 14: Tigers vs. Nationals

• March 15: Tigers vs. Astros

• March 16: Tigers at Nationals (Viera)

• March 17: Tigers vs. Nationals

• March 18: Tigers vs. Blue Jays

• March 18: Tigers at New York Mets (Port St. Lucie), 1:10 p.m.

• March 19: Open date

• March 20: Tigers at Nationals (Viera)

• March 21: Tigers at Braves (Disney World)

• March 22: Tigers at Blue Jays (Dunedin)

• March 23: Tigers vs. Marlins

• March 24: Tigers at Pirates (Bradenton)

• March 25: Tigers vs. Braves

• March 26: Tigers at Phillies (Clearwater)

• March 27: Tigers vs. Braves

• March 28: Tigers vs. Rays

• March 29: Tigers at Nationals at Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., 2:05 p.m.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Gene Lamont and Jeff Jones are going to be back as the bench coach and pitching coach, respectively. Dave Clark from the Astros will be the Third Base Coach.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Couldnt be any worse then the horrible 3rd base coach we had this year.

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#6]
We've gotta get Cabrera back to first base.  His body isn't built to take the daily pounding he gets while playing third.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

We've gotta get Cabrera back to first base.  His body isn't built to take the daily pounding he gets while playing third.
View Quote

I agree.

The more I think about it, the more I wish they hadn't handed Prince all the fucking money. We're going to be regretting that contract for about 6 more years.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
And Max wins the Cy Young!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats to Max!
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Miggy has another MVP.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Miggy has another MVP.
View Quote
Hell.Yeah!

(Came here to post that haha)
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sick of these fucking individual awards. The Tigers need a TEAM award.

It's like a stupid consolation prize you get at a Fair for not winning the main prize.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's like a stupid consolation prize you get at a Fair for not winning the main prize.

View Quote

The shitty thing is that the Tigers should have won it this year. They had the Red Sox right where they wanted them, and they pissed it away. And seeing the way the World Series went, the Tigers would have curb stomped the Cards.

The Tigers had the offense and starting pitching to go all the way. They lacked the bullpen and that's what fucked them.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The shitty thing is that the Tigers should have won it this year. They had the Red Sox right where they wanted them, and they pissed it away. And seeing the way the World Series went, the Tigers would have curb stomped the Cards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Tigers had the offense and starting pitching to go all the way. They lacked the bullpen and that's what fucked them.

That's what really sucks. World Series can sometimes comes around every once in a life time for your team. Pissing way last year and this year's chance to win the World Series might be the only chance they get for another 30 years.

Look at how quickly the Rangers fell apart.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm afraid they'll give up too much to get the bull pen in order.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's what really sucks. World Series can sometimes comes around every once in a life time for your team. Pissing way last year and this year's chance to win the World Series might be the only chance they get for another 30 years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won't win as long as Fielder is on the team.  Miggy needs to get back to playing 1st base.  He's going to be playing injured every year he stays at 3rd.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Omar Vizquel, Mick Billmeyer and Wally Joyner to coaching staff.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They won't win as long as Fielder is on the team.  Miggy needs to get back to playing 1st base.  He's going to be playing injured every year he stays at 3rd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prince Fielder to Texas for Ian Kinsler.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Prince Fielder to Texas for Ian Kinsler.[/span]  
View Quote

Okay, sh!t just got real!
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Holy Fucking Shit!

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#22]
thats good, one less thing
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Holy Fucking Shit!

View Quote

This is why I have my fingers crossed like a mother fucker that DD doesn't get the MLB commissioner job.

Link Posted: 11/22/2013 3:33:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Peralta to third, Iglesias to SS, Kinsler to 2B, Miggy to first?

Hot damn!!!

Give iglesias a damn Jugs machine, and set it up in his back yard for him in the off season, and get that kid into the .270+ range...and it's going to be another good year.

I get the feeling that the last shoe hasn't dropped however, and worry Tori and Jackson might be up for a swap.
We still NEED a catcher that can hit reliably.

Link Posted: 11/22/2013 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys should keep in mind that for the last three seasons, the team Prince Fielder played on won their division and the guy who hit in front of Prince Fielder won the MVP.

Prince averaged 27.5 hr/season and 107 RBI/season as a Tiger. That production is gone now.

Freeing up the money to keep Max and Miggy will be good, and Prince's contract was terrible, but let's not act like he wasn't a valuable player who helped this team win the division 2 years in a row.

Link Posted: 11/22/2013 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You guys should keep in mind that for the last three seasons, the team Prince Fielder played on won their division and the guy who hit in front of Prince Fielder won the MVP.

Prince averaged 27.5 hr/season and 107 RBI/season as a Tiger. That production is gone now.

Freeing up the money to keep Max and Miggy will be good, and Prince's contract was terrible, but let's not act like he wasn't a valuable player who helped this team win the division 2 years in a row.

View Quote

Very true, but at least we won't be missing anything in the playoffs. :)
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#27]
i`m sure his comments  to the fans during the post season had a bit to do with him being traded,  Tiger`s fans dont forget that quick,
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Peralta is going to the Cards
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#29]
that sucks
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#31]
LOL, so do the fans
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I fucking hate the godddamn post season.

I miss Tiger Baseball. I miss Baseball period. I miss Dan Dickerson. I miss Jim Price.

I hear the Tigers are close to signing The Beard. I guess that'll be nice.

Kids are counting down the days to Christmas. I am counting down the days to Spring Training.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I hear the Tigers are close to signing The Beard. I guess that'll be nice.
Kids are counting down the days to Christmas. I am counting down the days to Spring Training.

View Quote

Tigers serious about Wilson

The Detroit Tigers and free-agent reliever Brian Wilson are working toward a deal, according to Lynn Henning of the Detroit News. The Tigers are looking for a closer and previously had talks with Joe Nathan and Grant Balfour, though nothing materialized with either player.

Wilson, 31, rebounded strongly from Tommy John surgery, posting an 0.66 ERA in 13? innings with the Dodgers in 2013 after missing most of the 2012 season. He didn't rack up any saves while in Los Angeles but has converted 171 of his 196 career attempts.

I feel the same way about spring training.  Can't get here soon enough.... :)

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I hate Balfour...

Wilson is an animal. He will fit in just fine, and be a good snag.

We still need talent behind the dish though. Avila is awesome defensively and is damn good at blocking the worm burners, but lacks a good shot to 2B. Which gives Verlander the heebiejeebies with a runner on 1st.
He also hit's like a tripple A Bench warmer.

It's time. He's gotta go.

Count me in as antsy to get spring Ball started.
I miss Tractor seat time with the game on, and Football and Hockey ain't getting it this year.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I hate Balfour...

We still need talent behind the dish though. Avila is awesome defensively and is damn good at blocking the worm burners, but lacks a good shot to 2B. Which gives Verlander the heebiejeebies with a runner on 1st.

I miss Tractor seat time with the game on, and Football and Hockey ain't getting it this year.

View Quote

That's one piece of bullshit that I will not put up with. Alex has a distinction, and it is a distinction that surpasses any catcher in the game....

Alex calls the best game in baseball. Fucking PERIOD!

Personally, I wouldn't care if Alex hit .100 I mean that (OK, I don't mean that because I know he can do better), but Alex handles this pitching staff, THE BEST STARTING ROTATION IN THE FUCKING LEAGUE, like Mozart handles a piano, or like Buonarotti handles a chisel, or like Van Gogh handles a brush. He's an artist behind the plate.

You can see, with your eyes see, and in the box score see, but especially with your eyes SEE how comfortable this staff is with Alex behind the dish and Laird or Pena back there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Nah, I don't agree that Alex calls the best games, I would have no problem seeing him no longer wearing a Tigers uniform. But his dad is a big player in the front office.

Link Posted: 11/30/2013 4:45:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's one piece of bullshit that I will not put up with. Alex has a distinction, and it is a distinction that surpasses any catcher in the game....

Personally, I wouldn't care if Alex hit .100 I mean that (OK, I don't mean that because I know he can do better), but Alex handles this pitching staff, THE BEST STARTING ROTATION IN THE FUCKING LEAGUE, like Mozart handles a piano, or like Buonarotti handles a chisel, or like Van Gogh handles a brush. He's an artist behind the plate.

You can see, with your eyes see, and in the box score see, but especially with your eyes SEE how comfortable this staff is with Alex behind the dish and Laird or Pena back there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate Balfour...

Pure shit there bub. Pure emotional shit.
It's OK to like the guy for busting his ass and taking abuse better than any other without whining.
He's unmatched in that regard, and damn good at blocking all the low sliders that result in past balls with lesser Catchers.
I think that is a LARGE bit of the confidence he does inspire. Max and Justin don't have to worry about past balls advancing and scoring runners, and are free to put freaky stuff down low and get the strikes.

Laird and Pena both lack the development time that Alex has had with the pitching staff, so there is no comparison.
All the same, look at the numbers with Pena behind the plate Vs. Alex.
If Avila had 50% better production, him bieng a non hitting fuck wouldn't matter.
But that isn't the case. His production is only marginally better, and not nearly enough to make up for his offensive deficit.

Then there is his 2B shot. It's worse than Verlanders move.
Any reasonably speedy runner on 1st, has a damn good chance of stealing off of Alex.
Justin goes into brain lock and starts falling apart with runners at first.
You want to bring up confidence? Please.

He's gotta go.
Just like letting Inge go sucked, but had to be done.
Alex is no Pudge, and Alex is NOT getting any better with the bat.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Don Kelly is signed for another year.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Fister to the Washington Nationals.

ETA: Steve Lombardozzi, Ian Krol and Robbie Ray to Detroit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Fister to the Washington Nationals.  
ETA: Steve Lombardozzi, Ian Krol and Robbie Ray to Detroit.
View Quote

Good trade. Ian Krol is a young, cheap, power arm lefty and those are hard to find. He needs a little polish, but in his rookie season he held an ERA under 4.00 in 27 innings and he had low walks. He's already better than Phil Coke and the scuttlebutt is that his ceiling is high.

Robbie Ray is going to be an All Star when he gets to the big leagues. He went from A+ to AA last year and his record improved. He's a starter with a sub 4.00 ERA(3.72 combined as I recall) low walks, high strikeouts (more strikeouts than innings pitched, fewer hits than innings pitched) who helps his team win games.

Lombardozzi replaces Santiago. He played 113ish games for Washington last year, rarely started and hot .265. Low homers, good glove, Nats fans say he came through when it mattered most. Nats fans are sorry to see him go.

And, Smyly moves to the rotation.

I say the trade is a win. This will keep the Tigers in competition and it adds a lot of low cost youth to the team. This team just widened it's window.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 12:58:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Didn't expect this many moves. Wow
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I dont think they are done yet, bullpen is next
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I dont think they are done yet, bullpen is next
View Quote

Coke down the river would answer my prayers.

Jobu has GOT to go!!

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Joe Nathan is now a Tiger.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Was gonna post that earlier today. But at the time, it was just reporting they were close to a deal. So, I didn't want to jump the gun.

Nathan was a fucking Tiger killer for years. We had no chance of coming back everytime that dude was on the mound.

I hope he is still that good, and we're not getting him in the twilight of his years.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Was gonna post that earlier today. But at the time, it was just reporting they were close to a deal. So, I didn't want to jump the gun.

Nathan was a fucking Tiger killer for years. We had no chance of coming back everytime that dude was on the mound.

I hope he is still that good, and we're not getting him in the twilight of his years.
View Quote

He was lights out last season. 1.39 ERA, 43 saves, 74 Ks and 22 BB in 64.2 IP.

I wanted The Beard, but my buddy in Detroit wanted Nathan. I am not disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:36:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Dude is 39.

Too old to really give a rats butt, and knows he's got one or two seasons left if he dosn't blow a tendon pushing things too hard.
All the same, he's got a shot at retiring after winning the series, and knows how to deal with the mental shit and get there.

My guess is he will be a holy damn terror before hanging up the glove.
He's got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Another good snag IMO.

Still have to dump Coke though.

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Castellanos goes to third while Miggy goes back to first!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:39:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Castellanos goes to third while Miggy goes back to first!
View Quote

Man, I almost think! Miggy could have won back to back triple crowns had he been on first base.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:...
Still have to dump Coke though.
View Quote

Luckily, it was a non-guaranteed contract :)

http://www.freep.com/article/20131121/SPORTS02/311210093/detroit-tigers-phil-coke

Let's hope they let him go during spring training. :)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top