Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quick question....now that sbr's are legal, do you no longer have to pin and weld a muzzle device on a 14.5 inch barrel, or do you have to get the tax stamp to have it just threaded on?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gm2376:
Quick question....now that sbr's are legal, do you no longer have to pin and weld a muzzle device on a 14.5 inch barrel, or do you have to get the tax stamp to have it just threaded on?
View Quote

You'll need the tax stamp.

This only removes the State restriction and doesn't do anything about removing the Federal Requirements. If  you want a 14.5" with a removable muzzle device you need your tax stamp from the ATF.

NFA is still in full effect.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool.  Thanks

Originally Posted By SilentType:

This only removes the State restriction and doesn't do anything about removing the Federal Requirements. If  you want a 14.5" with a removable muzzle device you need your tax stamp from the ATF.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SilentType:
Originally Posted By gm2376:

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KK66:

Could you please elaborate more on the subject? (Cliff notes on what you know about it?)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KK66:
Originally Posted By rjbergen:
You could always set up an NFA trust. Before you submit any Form 1s or 4s, I'd make sure you fully understand the pros and cons of NFA trusts vs. individual ownership of NFA items.

Also, if you don't want to bother with finding an engraver, you can have a lower that's already been registered transferred to you. It's still $200 and the long wait, but it's already be 'made' and you don't have to bother with the engraving. Only the maker must engrave it, so buying a factory SBR lower eliminates that for you.

Could you please elaborate more on the subject? (Cliff notes on what you know about it?)

I'll provide a quick summary, but a lot more information can be found over in the Class 3 forums here.

Trusts do not require CLEO signatures, fingerprints, and photos. They also allow for anyone listed as a trustee to possess the registered item.

Individual ownership requires CLEO signature, fingerprints, and photos. Individuals may only be in possession of the registered item if the owner of the item is present.

The ATF currently has a proposal that would add CLEO signature, fingerprint, and phot requirements to trusts. This would be required of every trustee for every form submitted. This would make it a pain for trusts; however, I think at the current time trusts are a better option because they eliminate a lot of the hassle and allow others to possess the item.

The reason I say to make sure you understand the differences is that if you change your mind later, you need to pay another $200 to move the item from a trust to an individual or the opposite way around.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Was finally able to successfully submit my Form 1 via e-file at about 1:00 last evening.

That is perhaps the most unreliable site I've ever dealt with.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:29:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: greco] [#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh happy day!
Now to figure out what I need to do to add a stock to my Krink...
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Well....3 Form 1s went out today. By this time next year I should be smiling.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:35:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Engel12626] [#9]
Originally Posted By greco:
Well....3 Form 1s went out today. By this time next year I should be smiling.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greco] [#10]
Three Form 1s delivered to BATFE today!!!  And the gun store called to say my Gemtech supressor paperwork approved today!!!
oh happy day (oh happy day)
oh happy day (oh happy day)
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
So what do I need to do now in order to turn one of my regular carbines into an SBR with a 12" barrel??
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Send 2 Form 1s to BATFE along with 2 fingerprinf cards, two passport pictures and $200. Then sit and wait for approval.  Then buy a short barrel or upper. Piece of cake.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Send 2 Form 1s to BATFE along with 2 fingerprinf cards, two passport pictures and $200. Then sit and wait for approval.  Then buy a short barrel or upper. Piece of cake.
View Quote

where do I get these forms and fingerprint cards?

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:35:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greco] [#14]
I down loaded the forms from the BATFE site on the I-net. Use the Form 1, for MAKING an NFA gun. Go to your local FBI office and get the BLUE fingerprint cards, not the ones with black lines. Then go to Walmart or some place that takes passport fotos. Get 2. Then send them a check. A PIA, but easy to do.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MichMan1] [#15]
After you download the application, please photocopy the front and back of the application to one sheet of paper. The National Firearms Act Branch will not accept the application if the front and back are submitted on separate pages.

Atf Fingerprint Order form

I think you need the official ATF NFA fingerprint cards FD-258LE.  Not just any cards will do.  Order several from ATF using the drop down bar in the link above.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RobFromMichigan:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RobFromMichigan:

Just call the ATF, request your respective packet (Form 1, Form 4), and they will send you everything you need.  Fingerprint cards, forms, etc.  Probably easiest part of the process.  I called yesterday, took 1 minute.

703-870-7526
      or
703-870-7528
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Supressors yet?  I guess it will be OK for a Texas resident will be able to temporarily have one in state as long as I have the requisite Federal Paperwork?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By killintime:
Supressors yet?  I guess it will be OK for a Texas resident will be able to temporarily have one in state as long as I have the requisite Federal Paperwork?
View Quote

Supressors are good to go here in Michigan.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the efile system is fucked up right now. it's only offering me to forms. Like 6 and 6a

wtf
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RasputinsMember:
I think the efile system is fucked up right now. it's only offering me to forms. Like 6 and 6a

wtf
View Quote

It's been like that for a while.  And may stay that way for a while.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By wolverine05:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wolverine05:
Originally Posted By RasputinsMember:

wtf

Yup. Your guess is as good as ours for when they'll get them back online. It is the federal government, so I wouldn't set the bar too high for them.

Take a bet: will if be faster to submit the paper forms and wait or will it be faster to wait for the e-file forms to come back, submit those, and the. Wait on the e-file which is supposed to be faster.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#22]
My store in Traverse City just got MK18 SBR's in. I've been waiting for this all my life
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Dysfunction:
My store in Traverse City just got MK18 SBR's in. I've been waiting for this all my life
View Quote

What store? I'm visitng TC this summer and wouldn't mind leaving some drool on their counters
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#25]
form 1 submitted 17 Aug,  approved 12 Sept !
If only suppressors were that quick :(

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Re-read this thread, could not find definitive answer.

I submitted a Form 1 for SBR AR. According to the tutorial I followed, OAL ATF wants is with stock extended. SBR I'm building will be 26.5" with stock extended. Collapsing the stock will make it less than 26". Does it need to be registered with State of MI as a pistol?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:
Re-read this thread, could not find definitive answer.

I submitted a Form 1 for SBR AR. According to the tutorial I followed, OAL ATF wants is with stock extended. SBR I'm building will be 26.5" with stock extended. Collapsing the stock will make it less than 26". Does it need to be registered with State of MI as a pistol?
View Quote

Michigan OAL is with the stock in it's smallest configuration in other words with the stock fully collapsed so if it is 26 inches or under then you would have to have it registered as a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#28]
what is the current wait time on a form 1 for sbr?  thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#29]
About four months.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]
The silencershop tutorial on Form 1 with a trust says they want stock extended..but Michigan uses stock collapsed?

With the stock extended on my 10.5" AR pistol it'll be over 26".  But with the stock removed/collapsed it is right at 26" even...

So it'll be a SBR for feds (requiring $200 stamp) but a pistol for Mi (requiring registration)?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By easy610:
The silencershop tutorial on Form 1 with a trust says they want stock extended..but Michigan uses stock collapsed?

With the stock extended on my 10.5" AR pistol it'll be over 26".  But with the stock removed/collapsed it is right at 26" even...

So it'll be a SBR for feds (requiring $200 stamp) but a pistol for Mi (requiring registration)?
View Quote

Yes that"s the way I read it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#32]
As defined under federal law, the firearm easy610 describes is a short barreled rifle, and not a pistol. The two terms there are mutually exclusive, under the federal definitions.

The MI definition of an SBR is nearly identical to the federal def. However, the state definition of a Pistol is not. It is possible to meet both definitions, and so you have to comply with laws relating to both.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Thank you for input.

easysixonezero
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top