Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/11/2011 12:13:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: harleyrkc]
Can we get a tacked list of which local CLEO's and sheriffs dept's were willing or not willing to signoff on Class 3 toys?  Feel free to post your results here to start with.  Hopefully your results will help someone else figure out who in there area is willing to signoff, and who to avoid.

Burton CLEO was a pleasure to deal.  Just remember to take a third copy of your paperwork for him.  He keeps a running record of all FFL / Class 3 / etc. paperwork he signs.

Updated to add:
Found this over on the MGO forum.
Contact information for every City Police and County Sheriff Department in the state.  Michigan Law Enforcement Agencies

The good guys list
Burton, Genesee County
Clintron Twp.
Grandville, Kent County
Muskegon Twp.
Midland
Portage Chief White
Richfield Twp., Chief Gritzinger
Rochester
West Bloomfield
Sturgis, St. Joseph County
Allegan County
Berrien County, Sheriff Paul Bailey
Cass County
Calhoun County
Cheboygan County
Clinton County
Dickinson County
Genesee County, Sheriff Pickell
Gratiot County
Hillsdale County
Jackson County
Kent County
Livingston County
Marquette County, Sheriff Mike Lovelace
Mecosta County
Macomb County
Monroe County, Bill Nichols (District Attorney)
Muskegon County
Oakland County, Sherriff Bouchard
Ocean County
Otsego county
Ottawa County, Sheriff Rosema
Shiawassee County
Sterling Heights
Washtenaw County
Wexford County
Wyandotte City

The bad guys list
Redford Township, Chief Pahl
Monroe City
Bay County, Sheriff John Miller
Kalamazoo County
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
A list for each county would be excellent.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 1:17:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Monroe City PD denied
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Macomb Co Sheriff good to go. Sterling Heights was good to go when I use to live there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By harleyrkc:
Can we get a tacked list of which local CLEO's and sheriffs dept's were willing or not willing to signoff on Class 3 toys?  Feel free to post your results here to start with.  Hopefully your results will help someone else figure out who in there area is willing to signoff, and who to avoid.

Burton CLEO was a pleasure to deal.  Just remember to take a third copy of your paperwork for him.  He keeps a running record of all FFL / Class 3 / etc. paperwork he signs.

burton as in burton city in genesee county?
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 2:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJ1234567] [#5]
Mecosta county sherrif said he would sign it.

*edit*

Not only will he sign, he came out and signed on the spot, there was no need to drop anything off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I updated my OP and will continue to do so if you guys keep posting your results.  I'll go take a look over on the Michigan Gun Owners forum, I think a similar thread turned up there yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Could I bypass the city and go straight to county? I live in warren if that matters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not October yet, dummy

Might want to edit your title.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Kent county Sheriff will sign off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
can you bypass your local township or city police and go straight to the county?
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Updated OP.  And its your decision which signature you go for.  I started with my local CLEO out of convenience and to push some buttons since I used to get attitude from them prior to this new guy.  It looks like the attitude issues with there office have been dealt with.    Remember guys these are our rights, don't take no for an answer.  You can politely inform him that its a courtesy asking them to sign, there are other signatures and the trust route available.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Who is the CLEO in Kalamazoo County and Monroe City that are being ignorant?

They need to change the law on getting a CLEOs signature. Should be like a C&R license, just letting you know but don't need you to do anything else.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Any word on who to speak to at Macomb County Sheriff?  I called the records division, and the lady was clueless...she gave me MI State Police contact number in Lansing.......

I want to get in on a GB for a supressor this week, but want to make sure i can get a sign-off.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Hillsdale Prosecutor should sign. He's one of the guys quoted in the initial news report about the opinion.  Sheriff will likely sign as well, but I haven't talked to him yet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Can it be a police chief in any Michigan city or must
it be the chief of your local city???
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#19]
marquette county sheriff mike lovelace will sign, just picked up my form 4's for two suppressors
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I've sent 2 email requests to the Berrien County Sheriff. So far he has not replied.
I guess it's time to call.and ask.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:36:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blood_donor] [#21]
I facebook'd Bouchard (Oakland County sheriff), and he says he will sign if the paperwork is in order.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mmorohpmoly:
Who is the CLEO in Kalamazoo County... ?

The Kalamazoo County sheriff is Richard C Fuller III.

Has anyone contacted the Kalamazoo City Chief Jeffrey Hadley? Another option for Kalamazoo would be the prosecutor Jeff Fink.

Has anyone contacted or thought about contacting the head of the State Police Col. Kriste Kibbey Etue? If she is willing to sign the forms, then everyone would be able to get a signature.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:21:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CujoTwoOne] [#23]
I'll be interested in seeing if the Kalamazoo City Chief or Prosecutor will sign off on the form, it's starting to look like I'll be having to go the trust route.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By snakeman48:
I've sent 2 email requests to the Berrien County Sheriff. So far he has not replied.

I live in Niles, so I am going to try Richard Huff. He signed my FFL's before. He seem to be a great guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Deussne:
Originally Posted By snakeman48:

I live in Niles, so I am going to try Richard Huff. He signed my FFL's before. He seem to be a great guy to deal with.

I'm in the township of Niles, so I'm forced to seek the Sheriff's signature.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Though I have't tried...yet,sheriff of Isabella county said he would sign off.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 3:56:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTS-Mike] [#27]
Spoke on the phone with Sheriff Rosema of Ottawa County, and he wanted more information how the transfer process worked, and his part in it.
He apparently had gotten several calls inquiring about it, but no one knew how the process worked, so he contacted the prosecutor, who didn't know much about it either.

So I spent a bit of time going over what "Joe Buyer" would have to do to acquire a suppressor or MG. (form 4, fingerprints, signature, ATF approval, background check, 3 month wait, etc....)
All toll, at the end of the conversation, he said he wanted to relay this info to the prosecutor, but he didn't forsee it as being a problem.

He will be getting back to me yet though.

So does that make him a "probable maybe"?  

ETA:  He is signing, he just never called me back directly.  
My customer had his signed off no problem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By WTS-Mike:

Spoke on the phone with Sheriff Rosema of Ottawa County, and he wanted more information how the transfer process worked, and his part in it.

He apparently had gotten several calls inquiring about it, but no one knew how the process worked, so he contacted the prosecutor, who didn't know much about it either.

So I spent a bit of time going over what "Joe Buyer" would have to do to acquire a suppressor or MG. (form 4, fingerprints, signature, ATF approval, background check, 3 month wait, etc....)

All toll, at the end of the conversation, he said he wanted to relay this info to the prosecutor, but he didn't forsee it as being a problem.

He will be getting back to me yet though.

So does that make him a "probable maybe"?  
Heard anything yet? After 5 days.  Would like to know if Rosema will sign off.  Find it hard to believe no one has bought a MG before now

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:20:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: harleyrkc] [#29]
THOLL223 MG's are a lot more expensive.  MY CLEO had never even seen a Form 4 prior to me getting one signed for an MG.  Thankfully he just wanted to know what he was signing and then had no problem doing so.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:59:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARMS] [#30]
I have contacted Cass County Sheriff and he has told me he needed to contact the ATF and the State for direction.

I think he will sign when he gets himself educated in this area but that has been 2 weeks ago. I am sure this would not be high on his list of priority's.

Does anyone know of a document
that explains this so I could send it to him for a little nudge.

Also looking at the trust route and looking for an attorney that is reasonable if anyone knows one.

I will update this when he has made his decision.

Cass County Sheriff signed!

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is the response I received from the West Bloomfield Chief after I waited three weeks for a response, then re-sent my Email.

Good Morning Mr. XXXXXXXX,

I do not know why, but your email just came through last night.

Since this is something new, I ask that you please be patient while we give the matter a little thought and consider what our responsibilities are and what policies we should create.

I will keep your email in my in box so that your request does not get overlooked.

Thank you.

Fingers crossed
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Sturgis in St. Joseph County  will sign off on suppressors.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Today I talked to the undersheriff here in Clinton County and he said were good to go here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Muskegon Twp. police chief said he would sign.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 3:44:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THOLL223] [#36]
Was at the Gunshow this weekend and heard from one of the Class III dealers in Ottawa County that Ottawa County Sheriff is signing now.  Drop it off and pick it up a couple days later.  

This is not first hand knowledge from getting one signed but what I was told by the Dealer (Tac Weapon Supply out of Grand Haven)

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By THOLL223:
Was at the Gunshow this weekend and heard from one of the Class III dealers in Ottawa County that Ottawa County Sheriff is signing now.  Drop it off and pick it up a couple days later.  

This is not first hand knowledge from getting one signed but what I was told by the Dealer (Tac Weapon Supply out of Grand Haven)  

That's what he told me when I asked as well, but like you said, it's hearsay until someone in Ottawa county posts of their first-hand experience.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 4:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTS-Mike] [#38]
Ottawa County is signing (Sheriff Rosema)

Yes that was me at the show.
One of my customers had his signed off last week.  I am holding the form 4 in my hand with the Sheriff's signature.  (first HAND enough?)  

So yes good guys list.  

Eta: "firsthand" attempt at comedy...
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Bay County Sheriff John Miller will NOT sign off....
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By kuenkers:
Bay County Sheriff John Miller will NOT sign off....

That's gay. Call him a fag for me, K?  I still haven't heard from Sheriff Nielsen here in Midland.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Midlands new Police chief signed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Saginaw Twp Chief will sign for suppressor.  No hesitation at all.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got a call back from Sheriff Jerry Nielsen in Midland County...

HE WILL SIGN

Now I need to go buy a silencer, LOL
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Mudboy:
Midlands new Police chief signed.

Excellent
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Kent County Sheriff said he will sign, but only where he patrols.

So for the signature, he referred my customer over to the East Grand Rapids PD who signed readily and was reported...  

"No problem getting signature - very nice and done while I waited "

Kent County Sherrif did his Fingerprint cards $15 Each and done while he waited  (there are cheaper options though)

Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Any word on if the Canton Public Safety director has signed off on any of these?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mmorohpmoly:
Who is the CLEO in Kalamazoo County and Monroe City that are being ignorant?

They need to change the law on getting a CLEOs signature. Should be like a C&R license, just letting you know but don't need you to do anything else.

Richard Fuller. He is an idiot... and not just because of his stance on NFA sign-offs.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone know if Monroe Co will sign?
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AKM47:
Anyone know if Monroe Co will sign?

Monroe Co. is good to go.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#50]
silly question, but what should I ask my sheriff/Cleo?
Can someone put together a sample letter? Please.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top