Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Deussne:
silly question, but what should I ask my sheriff/Cleo?
Can someone put together a sample letter? Please.

Not a silly question.

No need for a letter, just bring in the forms, drop them off, and request the sheriff/CLEO sign them.  (the staff will put it in the CLEO's inbox, and it may take a few days to a week, depending on the schedule of the CLEO.

Attach a post-it note "pointer" to the area you are wanting signed. (BOTH COPIES)
You could also add a post-it note on the front with your phone number and a note to call you if they have any questions.

The signature of your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) to indicate that he has:
         •• "no information indicating that the transferee will use the firearm or device described
               on this application for other than lawful purposes", and:
         •• "no information that the receipt or possession of the firearm or device...would place
               the transferee in violation of State or local law".
So the reason he is signing is listed (above)

And you should have your part filled in above that stating your "reasonably necessity" for ownership of the item
"hearing protection"  or "gun collection", or "all lawful purposes"

While you are there dropping off the form 4, get them to do the fingerprint cards for you (your dealer should have provided 2) FBI FD-258LE cards for this purpose)

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally got a response from the Clinton Township Chief, and he said that he will be signing off on form 4's, but on a case by case basis.  He will review each form and decide accordingly, instead of making a blanket yes they will sign statement.  I can understand that, but i can't see whaty they would deny anyone that is looking to apply anyways, since no felons will waste the time and try, so add another good chief to the list.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snakeman48] [#3]
Add Berrien County to the good guy list. Sheriff Paul Bailey signed 4 form 4's for me today for my 2 cans.

I told him I had one more on form 3 transfer to my SOT, and another being built. He just said bring them in when I get them and we'll get them signed.  

They printed my 4 FBI finger print cards for $15.00 total. Mailed everything in today with my 2 checks.

Now we just sit back and wait, and wait, and wait.

He also said I was the first that he signed for for suppressors, and nobody has brought any in for machine guns to date.

On Edit: Ask your SOT for an extra pre filled out Form-4 copy, as Sheriff Bailey keep a copy of them for his records.

He made copies of the ones I took in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Grandville PD is good to go.

(Under KENT COUNTY, but the sheriff there is deferring to the local PD unless he patrols your neighborhood)
and Fingerprinting there is $10/card  FYI

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By snakeman48:
Add Berrien County to the good guy list. Sheriff Paul Bailey signed 4 form 4's for me today for my 2 cans.

I told him I had one more on form 3 transfer to my SOT, and another being built. He just said bring them in when I get them and we'll get them signed.  

They printed my 4 FBI finger print cards for $15.00 total. Mailed everything in today with my 2 checks.

Now we just sit back and wait, and wait, and wait.

He also said I was the first that he signed for for suppressors, and nobody has brought any in for machine guns to date.

On Edit: Ask your SOT for an extra pre filled out Form-4 copy, as Sheriff Bailey keep a copy of them for his records.

He made copies of the ones I took in.

Can he legally keep permanent records of federal tax records?
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Well, there is no stamp on the papers yet, and it only contains the info of the SOT, me, and the item.

Can he do this legally, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
From Recent customers reporting back....

Gratiot County Sheriff - A-OK (Prints $10 total for BOTH cards)  While he waited.
Livingston County Sheriff A-OK  (prints $15 ea card) While he waited.
Shiawassee County A-Ok

Grandville PD  A-0k (prints $10 each card)  (under KENT County)
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I didnt see the CIty of Portage on here anywhere, has anyone had any experience with the Portage Police Chief? I'm looking to buy a can for my AR's and would like to do so on individual records rather than a trust if possible.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By H60ADriver:
I didnt see the CIty of Portage on here anywhere, has anyone had any experience with the Portage Police Chief? I'm looking to buy a can for my AR's and would like to do so on individual records rather than a trust if possible.

Just call and ask him if he will sign.

After emailing my county sheriff several times, and not getting a reply, I called his office and finally got to speak to him about it.
After a pleasant conversation and discussion about the law, as it was new when we spoke, he said he would sign. This was at the end of September 2011.

I presented my my first 2 sets of form-4's in between Christmas and New Years and he signed with out any issues. Got all 4 of my FBI finger print cards printed for $15.00
It was the first time he had signed any form-4's, and I had to show him where he needed to do so. I was the first from the county to get his signature for suppressors.
So I asked if anybody had him sign for machine guns, and he said no. He only issues semi auto AR's to his Deputy's so they don't have all the AFT paper work.

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 6:15:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#10]
Stopped by Otsego County Sherrifs and they said no problem.  $15 for finger prints.  

Already know what I am getting, stopped by Williams gun shop last week to have a look and they seem like a good shop to deal with.  They let me fondle a few
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Emailed the Chief of Police in Portage today, if I have not received a response i na couple days of days I will call the office.  Will advise!
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Muskegon County Sheriff - Signed no problem. (while we waited)
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Oakland County Sheriff no problem but did have to wait 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 10:58:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Feedingcannibal] [#14]
Calhoun County Sheriff Alan Byam signed mine.  Took just 2 business days.

I did submit a letter with my Form 4s, simply stating that I was asking for his signature for the hearing protection provided by a suppressor along with contact info (email, phone).  Figured anything to aid in the process was a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Just spoke with Chief White from the Portage Police Department about a Form 4 for a suppressor.  Said he will sign for a Portage resident provided there aren't any outstanding issues (legal) that would prevent them from owning the device.  He was a pleasure to speak with and said that the department would be more than willing to handle the fingerprints and just to drop it off when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Just talked to Sheriff Farber of Oceana County. He said he is willing to signoff after a background check.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Guess I never updated this.  WB is good to go.
Originally Posted By LFR787:
Here is the response I received from the West Bloomfield Chief after I waited three weeks for a response, then re-sent my Email.

Good Morning Mr. XXXXXXXX,

I do not know why, but your email just came through last night.

Since this is something new, I ask that you please be patient while we give the matter a little thought and consider what our responsibilities are and what policies we should create.

I will keep your email in my in box so that your request does not get overlooked.

Thank you.

Fingers crossed

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Washtenaw County sheriff signed. Took almost 3 months. Got a trust after 1 month and trust paperwork was in almost 2 months when they called and said paperwork was signed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Just curious if anyone has tried Wayne County.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone tried Van Buren County?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Police chief in Kalamazoo WILL sign. City of Kalamazoo=good to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Wexford County Sheriff is gtg, $15 for the fingerprint cards.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Anything new with the City of Wyoming (Kent County)?

Last I heard they were not signing. Does anyone know if the Sheriff for Kent will sign off if your having problems with the City?

I just want to buy a .22LR can and by the time I pay for a dang trust, it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Oakland County signed off, took 3 weeks for me. $30 for the finger prints.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: harleyrkc] [#25]
I had an interesting experience at the Burton PD getting another form 4 signed.  We have a new police chief.  I contacted the desk about speaking to the new chief about a signature.  The lady was some what rude and short with me when I told her what I needed the signature for.  She took my phone number and had the chief contact me.  He said he didn't have a problem but that he'd like me to drop them off and give him a day to look them over.  When I went to drop them off the same lady tried to tell me they don't do those signatures anymore until I explained that the chief said he didn't have a problem with it.  I left her with three copies of the form and a copy of my CCW license, and I got a very pleasant call from the chief less then 24 hours later tellling me the forms were signed and inquiring about the gun listed on the form.  He was quite interested in what it looked like.  I thanked him for his time, let him know that the third copy of the form was for him and told him where to get more info on the gun he asked about.  

FYI..... I've had really good luck with signatures by offering to leave them with the third copy, and I don't consider it unreasonable that they may want to have a record of anything they signed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I didn't see any mention of Jackson County in here, so here's my $.02:

Matt from Schupbach's in Jackson said he called around to nearby county CLEO's as soon as the AG issued his opinion last Sep. Jackson is good to go, and Matt is very helpful getting the paperwork around (he put everything in a neat folder for me with sticky notes on each paper with simple notes explaining what to do) and gave me a step-by-step list of instructions.

He also said that (this is not confirmed, just what he heard over the phone last fall) that he didn't think the CLEO in Ingham would sign off. Ingham CLEO might have changed his mind since then, but when I got the papers earlier this summer it didn't look promising. (Matt made me the folder anyway, I was going to try to apply in Ingham Co. to see what they say and then my transmission promptly went out; my suppressor-dream is on back burner for now )
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:13:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: H60ADriver] [#27]
Turned in my Form-4's to Chief White in Portage this afternoon, sounded like there would be absolutely no issues at all.  Looking forward to finally getting this going.

***Update*** Got my paperwork back singed already, dropped t off yesterday afternoon, got ap hone call at noon today saying it was ready for pickup!  Hats off to Chief White for being prompt and supportive.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By tiny113:
Has anyone tried Van Buren County?

Thanks

Curious about this as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Police Chief for the City of Rochester had it back to me the same day...I also know Sheriff Bouchard is good to go too for Oakland County Sheriff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Genesee county is good with Sheriff Pickell. Fingerprints are $20 per card!!  But its OK cause he signs and u get the prints fast. Then your gtg. It could be a lot worse.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Richfield Township chief Gritzinger signed off in about 5 minutes. He had never done one so I walked him through it and is good to go. Sadly he is retiring next month.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 11:21:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TBoneDetroit] [#32]
After a little research, looks like the AOW I'm thinking about takes the same Form 4 as a full auto or a suppressor. I see Redford Twp. listed in the "bad guys" section on page one, anyone tried them for AOW? Or is it definitely a no go (surprises me, they used to have a very good gun officer, though he wasn't the Chief...).

Anyway, I also see no mention of Wayne County, anyone tried there? If not, I guess I can still go the trust route, seems like a hassle that shouldn't be unnecessary.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 12:19:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TBoneDetroit] [#33]
Originally Posted By TBoneDetroit:
After a little research, looks like the AOW I'm thinking about takes the same Form 4 as a full auto or a suppressor. I see Redford Twp. listed in the "bad guys" section on page one, anyone tried them for AOW? Or is it definitely a no go (surprises me, they used to have a very good gun officer, though he wasn't the Chief...).

Anyway, I also see no mention of Wayne County, anyone tried there? If not, I guess I can still go the trust route, seems like a hassle that shouldn't be unnecessary.

Well, not sure how recently anyone has tried Redford. It appears at some point in the recent past, we got a new Chief. Eric Gillman I see listed as chief in some articles (news story where he tackled a suspected bank robber as late as Oct. of 2011). But the website now references a Chief Eric Pahl (and though I might be wrong, he looks a lot like the guy I recall having been the gun officer from some time ago).

Anyway, I've put in a telephone call and left a message that I was calling WRT signing off on a Form 4 that was a Federal form that requires a Chief's signature. Not sure if he'll know what it is, I didn't go further, just asked that he return my call. We'll see how that goes...
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 1:43:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TBoneDetroit] [#34]

Well, not sure how recently anyone has tried Redford. It appears at some point in the recent past, we got a new Chief. Eric Gillman I see listed as chief in some articles (news story where he tackled a suspected bank robber as late as Oct. of 2011). But the website now references a Chief Eric Pahl (and though I might be wrong, he looks a lot like the guy I recall having been the gun officer from some time ago).

Anyway, I've put in a telephone call and left a message that I was calling WRT signing off on a Form 4 that was a Federal form that requires a Chief's signature. Not sure if he'll know what it is, I didn't go further, just asked that he return my call. We'll see how that goes...

A couple days after my above call, I got a return call from the Chief's assistant (Lisa?). She got the details from me as to what I was calling about, and said she'd get back to me. Been several weeks, I guess this week it'll be time for a follow up phone call. Also time to start looking into a trust I guess, am now thinking of a can rather than an AOW for my first foray into NFA territory.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 3:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TBoneDetroit] [#36]

A couple days after my above call, I got a return call from the Chief's assistant (Lisa?). She got the details from me as to what I was calling about, and said she'd get back to me. Been several weeks, I guess this week it'll be time for a follow up phone call. Also time to start looking into a trust I guess, am now thinking of a can rather than an AOW for my first foray into NFA territory.

Just spoke to the Cheif's assistant again (it is Linda). Has promised me a return call this time (since she's seen I'm not giving up, I expect I will get a call, though I'm not real optimistic about the response I'll hear when she does call). We'll see.

Anyone made any effort to tall to the Wayne County Sheriff, or are those of you in Wayne County simply going the Corporate or Trust route to avoid the hassles?
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Okay, two weeks tomorrow since I spoke to her. Sometimes a lack of response is a response. But maybe I'm dense, it also occurs to me that she's not even aware of the specifics of what I'm asking if he'll sign (Form 4).

Going to call again tomorrow, and ask for an email address. Will include links to the Form 4 in the email, that may be helpful. Also will include links to the Attorney General's opinions on silencers and machine guns.

Might as well also get started on plan B in case I'm correct that the new Chief intends to ignore or deny requests, can anyone link me information on creating a trust for the purposes of NFA firearms registration?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Okay, two weeks tomorrow since I spoke to her. Sometimes a lack of response is a response. But maybe I'm dense, it also occurs to me that she's not even aware of the specifics of what I'm asking if he'll sign (Form 4).

Going to call again tomorrow, and ask for an email address. Will include links to the Form 4 in the email, that may be helpful. Also will include links to the Attorney General's opinions on silencers and machine guns.

Might as well also get started on plan B in case I'm correct that the new Chief intends to ignore or deny requests, can anyone link me information on creating a trust for the purposes of NFA firearms registration?
View Quote

Called back this morning, return call this afternoon. As i suspected, they were a bit in the dark about what was even being asked (knew it related to Class II weapons, because I'd told them that). Spent over an hour composing and sending an email complete with links to the Form 4, two pertinent Atty Generals opinions and one PR page on silencers from the Atty. General's office. Now, we shall see if there is a reply forthcoming, and if it is the one desired (hopefully Redford Twp. can be added to the GTG column WRT CLEO sign offs).
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Called back this morning, return call this afternoon. As i suspected, they were a bit in the dark about what was even being asked (knew it related to Class II weapons, because I'd told them that). Spent over an hour composing and sending an email complete with links to the Form 4, two pertinent Atty Generals opinions and one PR page on silencers from the Atty. General's office. Now, we shall see if there is a reply forthcoming, and if it is the one desired (hopefully Redford Twp. can be added to the GTG column WRT CLEO sign offs).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Plan B it is... finally heard back from Chief Pahl via email, he is in agreement with the policy of his predecessor, and won't be signing any form 4s.

Sent a reply thanking him for his time, and  letting him know that I (and presumably others) will still be moving forward with our lawful purchases, in my case via a legal Trust. A shame he'll let his political opinion affect his interaction with the public, on a simple matter that seeks not his permission, but only testament to the legality of an item. Redford Township stays firmly in the "No" column.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Just moved to Wolverine Lake, the Chief of Police was driving by and made small talk. Took the opportunity to ask about CLEO sign off's and he does do them.

Had a really productive talk with him about the area and the department, seemed like a high quality individual.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#41]
If I live in an area that doesn't have its own police dept and does not contract with the sheriff, can I go to the state police to sign off my nfa forms or do I have to go to the county sheriff?
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 9:41:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TBoneDetroit] [#42]
Originally Posted By AKM47:
If I live in an area that doesn't have its own police dept and does not contract with the sheriff, can I go to the state police to sign off my nfa forms or do I have to go to the county sheriff?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AKM47:

HTH, found this in the ATF FAQ on NFA Firearms

Q: What law enforcement officials’ certifications on an application to transfer or make an NFA weapon are acceptable to ATF?

As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.

Of course forming a Trust is another way to go if none of the above seem to be an option.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone get signed off in Lenawee County?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:05:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Can anybody tell me the status of midland county? Any good guys here?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#45]
anyone know either way about royal oak?

my 17 year army odyssey is almost over and I'm coming home.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#46]
It's a nice area, a little expensive-mostly known for it's night life.

Oakland County Sheriff will sign for NFA transfers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#47]
dude, you of all people should know I'm from there,

but I will take that to mean that im better off going the county route, which doesn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKM47] [#48]
I contacted Monroe County today to see if they would sign off on my form 1 for an sbr.  I was referred to the county prosecutor who didn't know anything about the new law.  I respectfully tried to explain it to him and he told me that he would look into the law and said to call him back Wednesday.  Hopefully they will sign.  If not I might have to go the trust route.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone ever try having the State Police sign off if the county won't?  The area where I live doesn't have our own police and we don't contract with the county.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:45:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Feedingcannibal] [#49]
Calhoun County: Sheriff Saxton just signed my sbr Form 4 yesterday.  One day turnaround.

Good news as he is somewhat new.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Berrien County Sheriff Paul Bailey, signed my Form1 to SBR my Sig P556, and a Form 4 for a suppressor.

Called him, told me to stop by that afternoon, and got all 4 finger print cards done, and forms signed. One stop.
He knew the new SBR law, and told me I was the first SBR he signed for.

Got to love a true Patriot
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top