Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 7:37:38 PM EDT
I am a single dad who moved into the Jackson area a couple of months ago, and I'm looking for ways to keep myself and my boy (13) entertained on a budget.

Since we've been here, I took him to the subterranean lake over in Sweetwater, that was pretty cool!  And we have been to Memphis, where we ate at King's Palace (legit best ribs ever btw) and tried out an escape room, lots of fun!  Every once in a while we will catch a movie.  I like bowling but he can't stand it.  Shooting is always fun, and I've been thinking about getting into airsoft or paintball.  State parks are good, especially if there is something to do other than walk around.  What do you guys recommend ?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Natchez Trace state park has a range.  
Check out the safari park.  http://www.tennesseesafaripark.com
You also have the discovery park in Union City.  
You also ought to visit the Memphis Zoo.
Shiloh is not very far.
You can also go to Tupelo and see where Elvis was born.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
LBL
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a bunch of Orange stuff and you can spend every Saturday disappointed for free like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a bunch of Orange stuff and you can spend every Saturday disappointed for free like the rest of us.
View Quote
UT orange is surprisingly versatile, not only can you wear it to the games, but it's also good for hunting and doing your court ordered litter pickup.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
LoL, I moved here from Arkansas; disappointment is my constant companion!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Pinson Mounds is just south of Jackson and is worth visiting for an hour or two, although there's not that much to it.  I like going after the leaves are off the trees for the best view from the top of the mound.

If you come up to Union City for Discovery Park (which I would recommend), I'd take a few minutes to see to Dixie Gun Works.  It's almost as much a museum as a store.  Final Flight Outfitters is worth a visit for modern stuff - guns, archery, and clothing.

Reelfoot Lake State Park does boat and canoe tours and is worth a visit.  Fishing is good there too if you're into that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
go to the K&M website and have a look.   they're hosting a Pro/Am PRS match soon.  I recommend you and your boy go volunteer to RO for the weekend.   watch 200 cuss out some high dollar equipment.   won't cost you anything and is highly educational shooting fun.  good to meet some industry people too.   ask them about youth shoots.

i'd wager there are some turkey shoots in your neighborhood.  prob associated with volunteer fire depts.  not too expensive and maybe you'll win some meat

bunch of civil war battlefield stuff near murfreesboro and Chattanooga you could visit.  or get him lubed up at the jack daniels distillery.   east tennessee has about a bazillion waterfalls.   i'd recommend fall creek falls, virgin falls and window cliffs. (in reverse order)

there's a humongous knife store and buds guns in sevierville and then you could walk through gatlinburg.  pretty sure he'd enjoy those.  then do cades cove, hike to abrams falls.

if he really liked lost sea in sweetwater, there's also ruby falls and rock city
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Use to be a nice radio control field north of Jackson. I use to fly there or just go to watch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LoL, I moved here from Arkansas; disappointment is my constant companion!
View Quote
You will get tired of orange.  I didn't like it in the first place when I crossed the river.

But disappointment is relative.  I grew up in southeast AR.  There's not much worse than there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I live just North of Jackson. Need anything I'M me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I live in the North part of Madison County. Lived there all my life. I'M me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
A dad and a 13 year old boy in west TN equals fishing. Tons of good opportunities here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Great. Finally got moved back to TN. Hoping it dries out enough for a septic install this week and we'll be set. Even have my own range now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep, we'll have to get together one of these days.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am a single dad who moved into the Jackson area a couple of months ago, and I'm looking for ways to keep myself and my boy (13) entertained on a budget.

Since we've been here, I took him to the subterranean lake over in Sweetwater, that was pretty cool!  And we have been to Memphis, where we ate at King's Palace (legit best ribs ever btw) and tried out an escape room, lots of fun!  Every once in a while we will catch a movie.  I like bowling but he can't stand it.  Shooting is always fun, and I've been thinking about getting into airsoft or paintball.  State parks are good, especially if there is something to do other than walk around.  What do you guys recommend ?

Thanks for any suggestions!
View Quote
A couple things off the top of my head:

- Chattanooga Aquarium
- Jack Daniels Distillery, Lynchburg (also Lynchburg Winery, right on the square)
- Natchez Trace Parkway, about 444 miles; starting just south of Nashville to Jackson MS.  Cool day or two ride.
- Buffalo River canoeing/kayaking, north of Waynesboro; but surely there's a river nearer you.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top