Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 10:16:23 AM EDT
Will be staying in Nashville over the 4th of July, wondering what areas to avoid, if any; will have 2 adult daughters with me. And no, sorry, no pics
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Avoid the "Antioch" area. Nothing to see there, it's now little Mexico City as well as trashy people in general. This is SE Nashville, off of I-24 area.

Nashville is odd in the sense that one can go from projects to multi-million dollar homes in just a block or three. This is mostly the case in North & East Nashville, FWIW. Lots of history in those areas as well.

What does your family want to do? Hear music? See the sights? Hit the honkey tonks? What?

For the ladies, I suggest letting them hit the Green Hills Mall & Opry Mills Mall. You can hit some gun shops in the area, Franklin Gun Shop (cha-ching!) or The Gun Crew (just down the street from Andrew Jackson's "The Hermitage").

I suggest a small side trip down I-65 South to Franklin, TN. Lots of Civil War history there as well as filthy rich homes just off their square. Think Mayberry meets Beverly Hills. Lots of cool shops & restaurants on their Main St. to visit as well.

Try to visit The Hermitage Hotel for lunch. Built in 1902 & has lots of cool history. Just sit in the lobby for a cup of coffee if nothing else. Ditto for Union Station Hotel. Both are within blocks of each other, FWIW.

If you like beer, The Beer Seller on 2nd & Broad & The Flying Saucer next to Union Station Hotel are THE places for beer options. Both have like 75 drafts.

There's a whiskey distillery in the old Marathon Motor Works factory, off of Charolette Ave. Area is kinda sketchy at night, so do a daylight dash & ease on out of there, IMO.

Avoid Big River on Lower Broad, tourist trap. Merchants Restaurant is a cool place for lunch, also on Lower Broad. Stop inside Tootsie's Bar & experience a 1940s country music bar. Lots of music options in the Lower Broad area.

The girls might want to check out Jack White's place if they're into his music. I think it's "3rd Man Records" or some such?

Give us more of what y'all want to do & we can help you better.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
PLAN-
Hit motel, unpack, look for nightlife/attractions for next day, dinner/drinks, nite-nite.
Breakfast, attractions, lunch, repeat.
Repeat.

REALITY-
Hit motel, find bar with food, nite-nite.
Breakfast? Talk about what to do, find bar with food, repeat.
Repeat.

Seriously though, I take them anywhere they want to go, within 4 figure reason; , they can hold their own, to a point, then its time to kill someone if it gets out of hand.
Tennessee is a friggin BEAUTIFUL state, one that they haven't been to, and as I get older, I make it a point to check out possibilities for retirement everywhere I go. Y'all are almost spoiled,
But ya got that damn HOT/COLD thing going on- summer feels like Costa Rica; and when it snows, well, need I say more? I have cancelled 3 winter trips to Dale Hollow
because of bad weather I just want to avoid any bad areas ahead of time, and will most likely spend most of our time taking it all in.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
And being jealous!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Nashville is in the process of voting to become a sanctuary city. I would avoid the area in pink below.
To see a beautiful area of the state I recommend staying at Fall Creek Falls State Park and day tripping to the George Dickel and Jack Daniels Distilleries one day. Eat at Mary Bobo's in Lynchburg.
 Chattanooga would also be a great place to stay and road trip to the state park and distilleries from.
Nashville is trying it's best to turn itself into a liberal third world shithole. I am trying to get a general boycott going there until the tourism industry raises enough hell to halt this "progress". Please don't spend money here unless it's the gunshop bobcole works at.

Link to sanctuary city storyhttp://tennesseestar.com/2017/06/20/nashville-preparing-to-become-most-liberal-sanctuary-city-in-the-u-s/
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess we'll have to wear our "appropriate" clothing, just like we do in Chiraq! Neither me or the kids have a problem calling it how we see it; at least they learned that much from their ol' man!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please don't spend money here unless it's the gunshop bobcole works at.
View Quote
Actually, I help them at gun shows, not work there full or even part-time.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually, I help them at gun shows, not work there full or even part-time.  
View Quote
Well either way they're good people. I'm making an exception in my boycott for gun shops
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
PLAN-
Hit motel, unpack, look for nightlife/attractions for next day, dinner/drinks, nite-nite.
Breakfast, attractions, lunch, repeat.
Repeat.

REALITY-
Hit motel, find bar with food, nite-nite.
Breakfast? Talk about what to do, find bar with food, repeat.
Repeat.
View Quote
Well, that's chock full of info...............  

There's plenty of nightlife left in Nashville. Check 3rd & Lindsley for music offerings. Bluebird Café has some cool songwriter's nights. Wild Horse Saloon on Lower Broad is popular with the country music dancing crowd. Nashville Palace over by Opryland Hotel often has good country bands.

As for breakfast, skip Loveless Café for breakfast. Tourist trap & overrated. Pancake Pantry on Hillsboro Rd/21st Ave. South is popular but CROWDED. During the weekdays the line isn't terribly bad, but on a weekend it's down the street & around the corner.

If y'all are brave enough, try Prince's Hot Chicken. For the novice, they have multiple levels of "hotness". Even I can get by on their milder stuff. Avoid their nuclear level hot unless you want to punish your lower intestinal tract.........  

If it rains, you might wish to check out the car museum on Murfreesboro Road. Cool stuff there.

Nashville is supposedly to have THE largest 4th of July fireworks display this year in the country. DO NOT expect to park close to 1st Ave. South nor be able to drive quickly away afterwards. Hit some bars afterwards until traffic calms down, i.e. Beer Seller.

Have fun, be safe & enjoy y'alls trip!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Avoid Bordeaux. Not to be confused with France.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the help guys!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd look into a reservation at Skull's Rainbow Room in Printer's Alley.  It's only two blocks up from Broadway, which you'll certainly be on.

The food is excellent, drinks are super.  There's a burlesque show every night around 10pm that runs on the hour.  It will get packed, so I'd recommend a 9pm reservation, eat, and then wait for the show.

The fireworks show will attract up to 100k people downdown.  I would recommend retiring to Printers Alley afterwards as Broadway will be shoulder to shoulder, while most of them don't know about Printers Alley.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top