Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2017 2:15:17 PM EDT
Going on the first mini vacation in 35 years. Taking the wife to see the ocean for the first time in her life. I haven't been to Fort Walton since 1965.

Anybody got any recommendations for current restaurants and hotels?

Anybody know the weather forecast there Sunday thru Wednesday?

Anybody have a recommended route to get there?

Thank You,

Mike/TH-45
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Waze for best route.

TripAdvisor for hotels and restaurants.

Weather.com for weather.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#2]
For a meal that's more than just steamed or fried seafood, I highly recommend Boshamp's.  

Book a ride on Sea Quest Dolphin Tour.  The wife loves the sunset cruise, saw dolphins on both trips out.  All you can drink wine, beer and soda too!

I second waze app for directions.  We go down I65 to the Georgiana exit, then a couple hours of back roads.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I would usually take 331 just south of Montgomery, to 85 near Crestview. I made that trip many times when I lived down there.

For food, if it's still there harbor docks was always good, used to work there. Most of what they serve was caught that day or the day before.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Well we made it here safe and sound. Took wife to see the sea right before dark. First thing she saw was the two red flags flying. She asked me what they meant. I told her the truth that it meant bad rip tides and folks should not go swimming. She noticed my bouncing a little up and down. She then asked what it meant to me. I told her simple in the days of my wild and reckless youth it meant grab the boards because the surf was UP! She then reminded me sternly I was NOT allowed in the water past my calves when I wondered out loud where I could rent a board!

Six to eight foot waves about 500 yards out with good form and sets. Can we all tell I miss my surfing days?

After crossing the bay across a rather large bridge she announced she would NOT go on a cruise either. LOL This was especially true when I told her that what she was looking at was a semi calm bay and not the waves at sea. See how much money I saved with a $4 toll bridge crossing. hahahahahaha
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Made it back last night, and I am beat.  All in all Fort Walton/Destin made  me want to cry.  It has gotten WAY too touristy!  I figured on growth, but it has gotten ridiculous.  It is good that I still knew a couple of places and folks on the boards helped.

For all y'all who helped, THANK YOU!

Brought back some mullet that I am having to smoke as NO ONE serves it anymore it seems, except in Niceville during their mullet festival.  Someone needs to tell the places to eat also that there is ways to cook seafood besides FRIED and steamed!  Shrimp scampi is also a way to eat shrimp.

Did get my round of Putt Putt at Goofy Golf.  For those that know it I finished the first course four under par and DID hole in one in the snake!

The three day fishing limit of Red Snapper is a crime.  I am sorry that mankind was too greedy 40-50 years ago.  I will admit I was part of it by working on the fishing boats in the 60's, but in my defense I was just a kid baiting hooks for the 'Yankees'.  It was catch as much as you wanted back then, and they DID!

Wife was suitably impressed with the ocean and its might and majesty, but she is insistent she is NOT about to go on a cruise.  LOL

Anyway, Florida, Thank You.  I am looking forward to a three day NAP!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top