Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2017 10:00:18 PM EDT
Thinking about moving to the area.

Crime rate on various websites seems to indicate "very high". What is it really like to live there?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Crime rate will vary with what area you are looking at. To rank all of Knoxville as high is a crock.

We have been down this road before not long ago when it was also stated that Knoxville was ranked as being very anti Semitic, another crock.

What's it like to live here? Probably about like other cities our size. That's a very generic and subjective question that has no real answer.

Where do you live currently?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I live in West Knoxville and like it a lot. You won't get away from crime no matter what. Some areas are just better than others.
I live just outside the city limits. You might have the occasional day break in, but I work nights and an home days. Most in our neighborhood know it and stay away.
Living outside city limits is your best bet. Things are still easy to get to very quickly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#3]
So when did Knoxville get crime ridden.

I was there from 02-07 and a crime infested Gotham it was not.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Violent crime, shootings/homicides do seem up based on media coverage.  I don't know stats, but they are easy enough to pull online.  The whole state is in the midst of an opioid drug OD epidemic.  Still, Knoxville is a safe city, IMO/IME.  There are some no-go areas, but the city is freaking HUGE and spread out.

If you want close to Knoxville, there are lots of options.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Like any city, there are small well defined pockets of high crime.  They are limited to mostly older inner city areas.  90% of Knoxville is an awesome place to live.  I prefer and live in the West Knoxville area.  This area has the highest concentration of standard conveniences i.e. parks, shopping, entertainment, etc.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I lived in Knoxville in the 80s and what is being said now was true then. Part of the problem with statistics is explained with an old Mark Twain quote "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics!"
Part of Knoxville's problem is that it has such a large footprint city limit wise that encompasses everything from ghetto to farmland. Add in one of the top 25 party colleges in the USA and you have lots of reported crime incidents that make the entire city look bad. Look at the trulia real estate app and click on their color shaded map that shows the crime index at the street and neighborhood level. I've found it to be very accurate.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I moved here from Atlanta in 2015.   I'm west-ish and literally one street inside city limits.

I have never felt unsafe.  I don't carry as much as I need to

It's a nice city.  I go downtown frequently (but am gone before midnight) and have never felt unsafe.  As always, being weary of your surroundings will keep you out of 95% of bad situations.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I am downtown in the "old city" often on weekends well after midnight and I don't necessarily feel unsafe. Especially in comparison to larger cities.

Knoxville has lots of fantastic options for micro brews, whisky places, and several good concert venues as well. I highly recommend it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top