Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2017 11:29:42 AM EDT
Anyone know what the name of the farm is or where it's located?  A 6 mile quarantine isn't very useful if you don't know where it is.

Link:  http://www.waaytv.com/appnews/update-thousand-chickens-to-be-euthanized-after-bird-flu-found/article_9e0c1442-82f3-584a-bd5a-282d3b447345.html
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have good intel, but if I had to guess, I would say its one of the farms out towards Taft and Kirkland.  

Just a WAG on my part.  Hopefully someone can give you better intel.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a lot of chickens they'll be choking.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have good intel, but if I had to guess, I would say its one of the farms out towards Taft and Kirkland.  

Just a WAG on my part.  Hopefully someone can give you better intel.
View Quote
The state DoA press conference last night reported that it was in the Ardmore area.  I'm checking GE now to see if I can find any big chicken houses in that area.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's a lot of chickens they'll be choking.
View Quote
Only on Arfcom.....  
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Can they feed them to hogs, or would that turn into swine flu?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can they feed them to hogs, or would that turn into swine flu?
View Quote

Or turn them into McNuggets, so the species-barrier can be broken for once and for all, leading to Pox-Eclipse...
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The state DoA press conference last night reported that it was in the Ardmore area.  I'm checking GE now to see if I can find any big chicken houses in that area.
View Quote
That's incorrect:  It was a WAAYTV news report that mentioned Ardmore, not the DoA press conference.  and apparently it's not in the Ardmore area.  First off, there are no large chicken houses in the Ardmore, TN side of the border or in SW Lincoln county for that matter.  There are a ton of them just west though in Giles county; those aren't the issue though.

Talked to my county commissioner today; he said he thinks it's in the Flintville area, which is on the south east end of the county.  I don't know why they are still being coy about identifying the farm or at least where the quarantine area is.  Maybe @pangea knows more.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The chicken houses just on the south end of Counts Road near the Old Elora road are what I've been told.  That's about 10 miles from me.

Google Earth or maps satellite will show you the ones rumored to be ground zero. My wifes aunt lives right across the old road from them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea I can see that, there are tons of chicken houses in that part of Lincoln county.  Big relief on my wife's part, she was really worried about our chickens.

Hairdressers in town told her that it was a nearby pond that got infected by migratory birds.  If so, the next question is how did the pond water get to the chicken house/chickens?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#11]
We were hoping that this wouldn't effect our birds too.

I have 13 hens and one rooster outside with 9 little ones on the sun porch and 18 in the incubator.  Going to replace my 2 year olds this fall.

A guy that works with us on MSFC has a couple of commercial chicken houses.  he says that the inspectors suit up in full hazmat gear when they inspect the houses and operation.  they even spray down their truck tires with disinfectant before they go to other operations. They take this stuff very seriously.

He told me that an infected wild bird flying over could shit in your yard, then you track it into the chicken house and kill your whole flock or the water in a puddle or pond could transfer it to other birds.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Based on what my commissioner told me, I believe I found the properties where the farm is located.  There not very far from the county border to the east in the extreme SE part of Lincoln county.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, that's the ones. The county line is the edge of that property.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Or turn them into McNuggets, so the species-barrier can be broken for once and for all, leading to Pox-Eclipse...
View Quote

Sounds like the next "Resident Evil" movie plot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#15]
"The Man" just paid me a visit. Two Tennessee Department of Agriculture agents stopped by to ask me about stabbing 5 of my 14 chickens mouths.  

I had just let the chickens out to range for the evening and asked if they could wait until they went back in the coop this evening.  They said that they will come back in the morning.  

I am officially on the quarantine.  The agents were very nice and amicable.  

They said that the effected birds are prone to disease as they are bred to be raised in a controlled environment and never interact with other birds. Yard birds are very resistant to the virus.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Good luck
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"The Man" just paid me a visit. Two Tennessee Department of Agriculture agents stopped by to ask me about stabbing 5 of my 14 chickens mouths.  

I had just let the chickens out to range for the evening and asked if they could wait until they went back in the coop this evening.  They said that they will come back in the morning.  

I am officially on the quarantine.  The agents were very nice and amicable.  

They said that the effected birds are prone to disease as they are bred to be raised in a controlled environment and never interact with other birds. Yard birds are very resistant to the virus.
View Quote

My wife's grandmother, who lives in Flintville and has 6-7 chickens, was paid a similar visit yesterday. They're supposed to come check again in two weeks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My wife's grandmother, who lives in Flintville and has 6-7 chickens, was paid a similar visit yesterday. They're supposed to come check again in two weeks.
View Quote

She lives near me.  How do I know?  Because Flintville is a tiny village and everyone lives near everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Now I've heard it's been found in Giles county, county line is almost 25 miles from the original farm.  Don't have a link or anything else, just something reported over on TNDeer.com
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#20]
As someone else posted the original batch was in Elora,  now also in Giles co.  and also Madison Co.  Alabama.

I fear the zombie apocalypse is upon us
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#21]
The Tn Dept of Agriculture did their follow up test on my birds on Thursday.  I haven't heard anything so that's good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I was wondering about that, glad you gave us some feedback. 

I would think that a) test results are pretty fast and b) if your chickens tested positive, they would have blue-lights and sirens onto your place to eliminate your chickens to stop the spread.  Since they haven't, I bet you and your chickens are in the clear (crossing fingers!).

My understanding is that there are no chicken sales (chicks) in Lincoln and Giles county TN and Madison county AL.  Don't know about Limestone county AL.  This is according to the Elkton Farm Store people, they can't sell chicks this year.  I need to call or go by Clark's F&S and CT Garvin's place on Mooresville Road.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm hatching my own chicks with mixed results.  The first batch this year had a decent success rate. (9 chicks survived out of 15 eggs) The second batch finished on Thursday with about a 90% failure rate.  (one chick survived out of 15 eggs)

I'm putting another batch in the incubator this evening if things go right.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Fayetteville tractor Supply has gobs of chicks and ducklings as of 11:00 this morning.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Why do I get the feeling that EFS just didn't want to mess with chicks this year.....?

Are you going to their auction Friday 4/7?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fayetteville tractor Supply has gobs of chicks and ducklings as of 11:00 this morning.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/862/Tractorsupply-chickens-168667.JPG
View Quote
So that's where chicken nuggets come from.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why do I get the feeling that EFS just didn't want to mess with chicks this year.....?

Are you going to their auction Friday 4/7?
View Quote
What auction? Tell me more  please.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Elkton Farm Store is back having their monthly auctions after a 2 year absence or so when Casey sold it to Kent and Susie Batchelor.  I think thye tak eoff a couple months during th winter.  Anyway, it's usually the first Friday of the month.  The next one scheduled is April 7 at their store in "downtown" Elkton.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

They came back to test for the third time.  Every time that there is a new outbreak they have to test again. He tested my pulletts this time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#30]
how many more times will they test them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top