Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2017 9:46:45 PM EDT
Why does TN still have arcane liquor laws? Is this NOT 2017?  Isn't long time liquor lobbyist Tom "the golden goose" Hensley now long dead?

For example:

1) Separate boards for liquor and beer. I've actually seen restaurants able to sell liquor but not beer. WTF, Chuck?  

2) Not allowing liquor stores to sell lower alcohol-content-than-liquor beer?

3) Not allowing liquor stores to sell much of anything other than by-god liquor?

4) Only allowing ONE liquor store per owner, i.e. not able to own one in Memphis and another one in Knoxville?

5) No liquor sales on Sundays but by-god buy all the beer you want or need.

6) No liquor sales on holidays but by-god buy all the beer you want or need.

7) No liquor sales on Election Day but by-god buy all the beer you want or need.

8) No liquor stores within x-amount of feet of a church or school. I can sorta understand the school thing since they're there five days a week quite often, but most people only go to church on Sunday, when liquor stores are CLOSED..........  

Now, I get the whole dry county/town thing. Vote it in or not, I get that. What I don't get is that beer is perfectly fine but you quickly go-to-hell for wanting a glass of wine or mixed drink.

Please. Someone explain this horrendous hodge podge of liquor laws in TN in small words so that I might understand.

Oh, yes, one other thing. Anyone whom has been to Vegas knows they sell liquor in K-Mart. Vegas also has THE most churches per capita than any other city in the US the last time I checked.

Small words, please...........  
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:12:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Simple answer...this is the Bible Belt

These laws take years to change, plenty of dry counties still around.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#2]

You are incorrect about #2 and #3, st least in Nashville. You can buy regular beer like Coors or Corona at liquor stores, as well as the non-alcoholic ingredients for mixed drinks. It may not be the same in BFE where you live, but many of the more arcane laws have been overturned in Nashville. We can even buy wine in the grocery stores now, though I still go to Red Liquors & Wines to purchase mine.  

You're getting old..

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/044/247/297.png

You are incorrect about #2 and #3, st least in Nashville. You can buy regular beer like Coors or Corona at liquor stores, as well as the non-alcoholic ingredients for mixed drinks. It may not be the same in BFE where you live, but many of the more arcane laws have been overturned in Nashville. We can even buy wine in the grocery stores now, though I still go to Red Liquors & Wines to purchase mine.  You're getting old..

View Quote

Because the liquor distributors and politicians still have the good ole boy network going. If walmart and kroger can sell liquor someone is going to lose money.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Simple answer...this is the Bible Belt

These laws take years to change, plenty of dry counties still around.
View Quote

I get the whole Bible Belt thing, have no issue with that. Local voters & all that, eh?

But WHY is it ok to buy a case/keg to take home by heaven forbid one has a cold beer with their Mexican dinner?  

ETA: I haven't been in Frugal MacDougal's in a while & haven't seen beer on the liquor side at all. High gravity beer, yes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I get the whole Bible Belt thing, have no issue with that. Local voters & all that, eh?

But WHY is it ok to buy a case/keg to take home by heaven forbid one has a cold beer with their Mexican dinner?  

ETA: I haven't been in Frugal MacDougal's in a while & haven't seen beer on the liquor side at all. High gravity beer, yes.
View Quote
There is no more "liquor store side" at Frugal's. They busted out the wall and it's just one big store.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is no more "liquor store side" at Frugal's. They busted out the wall and it's just one big store.
View Quote

He's right, Papaw, you should get out more often and stop yelling at clouds.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Again, I haven't been inside Frugal's in close to a year now.

But! Since they can't sell liquor on Sundays, holidays & election day, where's the advantage of knocking their wall down? Whenever I was there on a Sunday, the liquor side was closed and locked up. All I can see is it allowing the use of one or two less cash registers on the beer side?

Say what one wants about Vegas, they know how to run a city, IMO. If people want it, SELL IT. Nashville could learn a lot from them, IMO. Carpet bagging politicians want Nashville to be "world class", then they need to get with the fucking program, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Say what one wants about Vegas, they know how to run a city, IMO. If people want it, SELL IT. Nashville could learn a lot from them, IMO. Carpet bagging politicians want Nashville to be "world class", then they need to get with the fucking program, IMO.
View Quote

Start Here Bob.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top