Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2017 7:01:33 PM EDT
Hello,  I'm new to the site even though I've been a shooter for years.  I'm building a rifle for the girlfriend and myself and need a little help with them.  At the time money is tough and I can't afford the tools to build them properly.  One day I will get the tools and hopefully learn how to reload ammo as well,  just when the funds come.  

So at this point I'm just looking to find either someone who would help me do what I need to them, and teach me along the way,  or have someone point me out to a gunsmith in the Hixson to Chattanooga area that wouldn't mind me tag along with the build to learn. So one day I can do it for myself when I acquire my own tooling.  

I know of a a gunsmith and few gun stores but I have not asked any of them if they'd let me,  figured the people on here would know better.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm close to you but I don't know shit about building AR's.  

But be patient, there'll be someone along before long that can/will help ya out.

Oh, yes, we have rules in arfcom. Whenever a wife/GF is mentioned, pics must be posted of said wife/GF.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol sorry I don't like posting pictures of myself or loved ones anywhere really,  bad enough she has facebook.  If it makes you feel good I'll post a pic of some random person lol? Yeah Ive always wanted to be a gunsmith so I have multiple interest in learning this haha
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:23:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Work is killing me right now but once things slow down I may be able to help you out a bit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I send my stuff to ADCO... and I have the tools already.  Easy to box it up and get a complete upper back.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as you're talking about building average AR15 pattern rifles, completely from a box of parts, you only really need one specialized tool: that's for the barrel. A twenty dollar multitool covers it.

If you are buying barreled uppers, standard hand tools and a flat surface are all you really need. Dude what thought them up was a pretty smart feller. You can even break one down using only the tip of a bullet!

Watch youtube videos, it really is pretty straightforward.  Unless you're more looking for companionship, in which case, someone is probably doing an 80% build party or something eventually.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I have one complete upper and spare parts in which I needed to swap a lot of parts around making basically two uppers, only one would be short a barrel and bcg for a short moment until I get more money.  I can get a barrel wrench but I was under the impression that vices, receiver blocks,  punch sets,  castle nut tools were all needed.  I need to swap pretty much the whole receiver, barrel, buffer tube, and  etc. Was hoping to learn hands on instead of in a video cuz it leaves a better impression and more to learn that way.  As busy as I am companionship really isn't a goal lol.  80% build party?  And what's ADCO?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Also forgot to mention one will be original di ar setup when finished.  The one I'm building right now is an Adams arms rifle length piston
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not in the Chat. Area so I can't help there but including blocks and wrenches and a cheap vise you should be under 100 in tools. The tech forum section has step by step build instructions. Lowers are easy as shit to do. I've only done 2 uppers 1 .22lt and 1 in .556 both were not complicated. Only have about 1k rounds through the 556 but no problems. Have never done a piston upper so don't know what tools you'd need but, I'd venture to say you can buy tools and do it yourself with info in the tech forums here for less  than paying a smith. Don't be scared. Understand the lack of funds, I, just about a year ago just completed my first complete build on one of several lowers, I bough in 2005. If, I was closer I'd volunteer to help. I'm willing to bet someone will show up soon, close, that can help. We all start somewhere and YOU want to do it yourself,  trust me.

ETA.... Ok I've got to know...EnragedMidgets..? There has to be a reason behind that screen name. This is the hometown forum so do tell please.
Oh and never mind Bob and the rules... I play by yours as well, and this ain't GD either.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Well honestly I made the screen name when I was like 13 or so playing games.  Used it on everything ever since haha. But it has grown to be kinda the opposite of who I am,  being that I'm average height and rather calm. But yeah I do want to build my rifle myself hence why I asked about a gunsmith who would let me watch.  But I also don't wanna mess anything up lol. I'm weird like that I guess
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#10]
In all seriousness check out the tech forum side of this site they have strong by step instructions. GD is full of assholes but the tech side is pretty no BS. There is a lot of knowledge here and people who are happy to share. I'm happy to help, but you have a 5hr each way trip. You'd be better off trying on your own having spent the gas money on tools.

And thanks for the info on screen name. I understand the whole once you choose one sticking to it.

And since I can't say I've seen it said...welcome to arfcom. You will be glad you found this place, while cussing yourself at the same time.
Things to remember GD is full of assholes, but news breaks fast. "Tech " forums are full of knowledge and don't put up with GD Bullshit.

And the next time there's a home town get together close try and go. It might be nothing, it also might be something you'll never forget.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Well last night I  reposted an upper I have for sale,  if I can get it sold I'll prolly just buy all the tools now and take my time to build my rifle hoping I dont fuck it up lol.  Where are these tech forums at, I wonder if they have an Adams arms build one on there? Hopefully a tool list with links can be found as well!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where are these tech forums at, I wonder if they have an Adams arms build one on there?
View Quote

Click here & peruse away with your questions & reading. Post any questions you might have just as you've done in here.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]
The link Bob posted above is to the A2 builds subforum. That would be a great place to spend time if you're planning to build a rifle with a permanently attached carry handle and front sight base.

You might find that the AR Basics subforum is a better overall place to start, as it's not as narrowly focused and is specifically designed to help a neophyte, such as yourself, in becoming familiar with not just the mechanics of assembly/disassembly, but also with marksmanship and maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I ended up taking it to a local gunsmith and he didn't charge me an arm and leg like the Adco place would have. He did it in about an hour and was a nice knowledgeable guy. I didn't get to stay and learn but he said he had a hard time with the barrel coming off. So I'm glad I paid someone to do it that had years of experience.  
 If anyone needs a gunsmith or some cerakote go look up old hickory gunsmithing in Soddy Daisy TN.  He will give you a quote and stay true to it and I've seen some of his coating jobs first hand,  they looked really professional. Would recommend.  Now I just got to save up for the tools to build ar's myself
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Some manufacturers supposedly use locktite on the barrel nut.  I don't recall which manufacturer it is, but I have seen claims that barrel nuts on uppers from one manufacturer can result in destroying the threads if you don't use heat to break the locktite loose.

Just one of the reasons I avoid buying assembled uppers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm close to you but I don't know shit about building AR's.  

But be patient, there'll be someone along before long that can/will help ya out.

Oh, yes, we have rules in arfcom. Whenever a wife/GF is mentioned, pics must be posted of said wife/GF.  
View Quote
Hey @BobCole! 

Did you move to the Chattanooga area?! Not sure I let you know we ended up moving to the Soddy Daisy area.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey @BobCole! 

Did you move to the Chattanooga area?! Not sure I let you know we ended up moving to the Soddy Daisy area.
View Quote

Sorta of in the area. I'm in Polk Co, about 40 miles east. I've been here since August.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sorta of in the area. I'm in Polk Co, about 40 miles east. I've been here since August.
View Quote
Nice! I go fly fish the Hiwassee every once and a while up by Reliance. 
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice! I go fly fish the Hiwassee every once and a while up by Reliance. 
View Quote

Yep, I kayak that river all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top