Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 11:25:36 AM EDT
Updated:  Now DOA:   http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/29/constitutional-carry-efforts-die-tennesse-legislature/99773344/

HOUSE BILL 1748

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 11, Part 1;
Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13; Title 50 and Title 70, relative to the
definition, possession, and carrying of firearms.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by adding the following new subsection:

(g) (1) Any person meeting the requirements of this subsection may carry
any legally possessed handgun openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded.

(2) For this subsection to apply, the person must: (A) Be at least
twenty-one (21) years of age; and (B) Not be prohibited pursuant to §
39-17-1316, or any other applicable state law, from purchasing,
receiving, or possessing a firearm as defined in § 39-11-106.

(3) Carrying a handgun pursuant to this subsection (g) shall not constitute
reasonable suspicion or probable cause to believe the person is
violating any law, rule, or ordinance.

SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1308, is amended by deleting the language:

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or
carrying was: and substituting instead the following:

(a) It is an exception to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

SECTION 3. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1308, is amended by deleting
from subsection (b) the word "defenses" and substituting instead the
word "exceptions".

SECTION 4. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1308, is amended by deleting subdivision (a)(2) and substituting
instead the following: (2) By a person authorized to possess or carry a
firearm pursuant to § 39-17- 1315, or a person authorized to possess or
carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1307(g) or § 39-17-1351;

SECTION 5. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1309, is amended by deleting
from subdivision (e)(8) the language "pursuant to § 39-17-1351" and
substituting instead the language "pursuant to § 39-17-1307(g) or §
39-17-1351".

SECTION 6. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1311, is amended by deleting from subdivisions (b)(1)(H)(i) and
(I) the language "pursuant to § 39-17-1351" and substituting instead the
language "pursuant to § 39-17-1307(g) or § 39-17-1351".

SECTION 7. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1311, is amended by deleting
from subdivision (b)(1)(H)(ii) the language "permit holder" and
substituting instead the language "permit holder or person authorized to
carry pursuant to § 39-17-1307(g)".

SECTION 8. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1313, is amended by adding the following as a
new subsection: (e) This section shall also apply to a person authorized
to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1307(g).

SECTION 9. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1359, is amended by deleting
subdivision (a)(2) and substituting instead the following: (2) The
prohibition in subdivision (a)(1) shall apply to any person who is
authorized to carry a firearm by authority of § 39-17-1307(g) or §
39-17-1351.

SECTION 10. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 50-3-201, is amended by deleting from subsection (d) the language
"allowing persons with handgun permits to carry a handgun on such
property" and substituting instead the language "allowing persons
authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1307(g) or §
39-17-1351 on such property".

SECTION 11. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 70-4-117, is amended by deleting from subsection (d)
the language "Notwithstanding subsection (a), a person with a handgun
carry permit pursuant to § 39-17-1351 may possess a handgun the entire
year" and substituting instead the language "Notwithstanding subsection
(a), a person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1307(g)
or § 39-17-1351 may possess a handgun the entire year".

SECTION 12. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 70-4-123, is amended by deleting
from subsection (a) the language "§ 39-17-1351" and substituting instead
the language "§ 39- 17-1307(g) or § 39-17-1351".

SECTION 13. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 70-5-101, is amended by deleting from
subsection (c) the language "a person with a handgun carry permit
pursuant to § 39-17- 1351" and substituting instead the language "a
person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1307(g) or §
39-17-1351".

SECTION 14. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-11-106(11), is amended by deleting the semicolon (;) and substituting
instead the language "but does not include an "antique firearm" as
defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16);".

SECTION 15. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.

I got it from here:  http://www.tndeer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=342494
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not posted to the legislature's website yet. I'd like to read the actual bill and the companion bill when they are posted.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Would be nice. But certain groups stand to lose money in class fees and license fees. So money will trump our God given rights.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Law enforcement in this state will be against this...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would be nice. But certain groups stand to lose money in class fees and license fees. So money will trump our God given rights.....
View Quote

This is what I think will happen too.  It's the same reason why they didn't pass permit less OC  iirc.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Law enforcement in this state will be against this...
View Quote
Indeed!  Who cares what the Constitution calls for...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to swim against the tide on this one. I've worked gun shop counters, gun shows and shooting range check-in stations for years. I've had WAY too many IDIOTS come thru with loaded guns when they swore they were empty. Had one guy pull the mag from his pistol and PULL THE GD TRIGGER at the entry to a Pope Show one time. Bullet hole is still in the floor.  

Anyone ever been to the Cheatham Co range? Been muzzle swept while on-line? Had someone dick with their gun while you were down range? Set off a rd while you were down range?

These are the SAME GD idiots whom will be carrying with NO training, NO supervision and NO guidance.

Sweet jesus, help us all.................  
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess rights are for smart people.

I say we need training and a license to vote or to worship.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess rights are for smart people.

I say we need training and a license to vote or to worship.
View Quote
Actually, I would support both of those ideas.

But answer this: how fast would the media throw gun owners under the bus the first (or 50th) time some GD idiot had a ND or worse?

Do you not recall the purse swinging when that dumbass Rep got busted for DUI and had a pistol in his car? Jesus, one would've thought he shot a lesbian nun with the way it was covered.

Do you desire our dazzling hood rats to be lumped in with HCP holders? You think the media will write it differently? I don't.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The media unfortunately will never give positive coverage to gun owners.  Training isn't a bad thing though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Geeze. Rights are for all.

There are laws against illegal stuff already. Lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
We either have a constitutional right or we don't.

Those same idiots can vote, say stupid shit in public and worship whatever.

It's unfortunate buts it's the price of a free society.

Gun owners will be demonized regardless of the current system or constitutional carry. I feel that too many gun owners are all too quick to adopt a liberal mindset when they think of people they don't happen to like carrying guns.

It's the same baseless worry the antis scream about anytime a pro gun law is passed.

Blood in the streets! The OK Corral! Suppressor are for assassin!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We either have a constitutional right or we don't.

View Quote
TN Constitution says the legislature may "regulate the wearing of arms" and the "bear" part of 2A has not been incorporated to the states by SCOTUS, so no, we don't.

Cue the "original intent",  "rights given by God" arguments.  We're free to claim all that, even from prison.

- OS
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
No argument there. But! You have to realize we gun owners fight two battles: political AND the PR one.

Look at the Nashville news whenever there's a hoodrat shooting/killing/robbery. Do they show the icon of a hoodrat behind the news anchor? Shit no, they show the icon of a handgun. They're pushing that agenda that ALL guns are murdering objects, unfit for human ownership. Never mind that TN has 2-3 million guns in the state that didn't kill/rob/shoot anyone today.  

Do you honestly believe the GD media is going to separate the felonious hoodrat who began shooting in the mall from the common HCP holder? Do you think the media is going to dig and VERIFY whether said hoodrat was a legal gun owner or not when they rush the story to air or print? Fuck no, they're not. They're going to lump all that shit right in together.

Additionally, you think the BLM bullshit about "driving while black" won't pick up steam when cops began frisking said hoodrats a bit more when said hoodrats no longer fear/worry about getting/needing a HCP in order to avoid be "hassled by The Man"?

You guys are all frothing at the thought of Constitutional Carry but seemingly (IMO) ignore the larger political picture. That WILL come back to bite us in the ass, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No argument there. But! You have to realize we gun owners fight two battles: political AND the PR one.

Look at the Nashville news whenever there's a hoodrat shooting/killing/robbery. Do they show the icon of a hoodrat behind the news anchor? Shit no, they show the icon of a handgun. They're pushing that agenda that ALL guns are murdering objects, unfit for human ownership. Never mind that TN has 2-3 million guns in the state that didn't kill/rob/shoot anyone today.  

Do you honestly believe the GD media is going to separate the felonious hoodrat who began shooting in the mall from the common HCP holder? Do you think the media is going to dig and VERIFY whether said hoodrat was a legal gun owner or not when they rush the story to air or print? Fuck no, they're not. They're going to lump all that shit right in together.

Additionally, you think the BLM bullshit about "driving while black" won't pick up steam when cops began frisking said hoodrats a bit more when said hoodrats no longer fear/worry about getting/needing a HCP in order to avoid be "hassled by The Man"?

You guys are all frothing at the thought of Constitutional Carry but seemingly (IMO) ignore the larger political picture. That WILL come back to bite us in the ass, IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those dumbasses you mentioned being unsafe with firearms probably all had permits. You act like that is the telltale sign of being a responsible/safe gun owner kind of like a drivers license prevents bad drivers from killing people .

Bad apples get CC licenses every day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]
How badly has being allowed to have a loaded firearm in the car, without a permit, hurt us on the PR front?

And just to toss some background out there, I was in the back left corner of the building, with my daughter, when the idiot put the hole in the floor at the Pope show.  I have been downrange at the far left end of the 100 yard range at Cheatham, when somebody decided the pistol range was hot.  Had some moron working a table at the Hendersonville show point a folding stock rifle at my head, while making machinegun noises with his mouth, to demonstrate to a customer how the special ops guys shoot with the stock folded.

I'm not thrilled at the thought of permitless carry, but I'm not going to object to it without some good evidence against it (like a big increase in road rage shootings after the law was changed to allow loaded guns in cars without a permit).
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bad apples get CC licenses every day.
View Quote
No doubt. But look at like when TN gave DL's to illegals, IMO. Then they were drunk driving LEGALLY............  

*I* would at least like to keep the hoodrats carrying illegally. Give the cops something to bust them on, IOW.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How badly has being allowed to have a loaded firearm in the car, without a permit, hurt us on the PR front?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I can't say that it has, yet.

And just to toss some background out there, I was in the back left corner of the building, with my daughter, when the idiot put the hole in the floor at the Pope show.  I have been downrange at the far left end of the 100 yard range at Cheatham, when somebody decided the pistol range was hot.  Had some moron working a table at the Hendersonville show point a folding stock rifle at my head, while making machinegun noises with his mouth, to demonstrate to a customer how the special ops guys shoot with the stock folded.
Seems you're making a lot of my points.  

I'm not thrilled at the thought of permitless carry, but I'm not going to object to it without some good evidence against it (like a big increase in road rage shootings after the law was changed to allow loaded guns in cars without a permit).
Imagine our idiots at Cheatham spread out all over TN, multiplied by thousands. What could go wrong?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Imagine our idiots at Cheatham spread out all over TN, multiplied by thousands. What could go wrong?  
View Quote
If they were going to carry, after Constitutional carry is passed, then they are probably already driving around with a loaded gun within reach.

Scary, isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I think that constitutional carry is important but does not have a chance with what is running the TN legislature and governor.  I wish time was spent to reduce restrictions on the handgun carry permits, but don't have a lot of hope in that happening either since there doesn't seem like much support for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm going to swim against the tide on this one. I've worked gun shop counters, gun shows and shooting range check-in stations for years. I've had WAY too many IDIOTS come thru with loaded guns when they swore they were empty. Had one guy pull the mag from his pistol and PULL THE GD TRIGGER at the entry to a Pope Show one time. Bullet hole is still in the floor.  

Anyone ever been to the Cheatham Co range? Been muzzle swept while on-line? Had someone dick with their gun while you were down range? Set off a rd while you were down range?

These are the SAME GD idiots whom will be carrying with NO training, NO supervision and NO guidance.

Sweet jesus, help us all.................  
View Quote
In my permit class the instructor took two people's firearms out of the box and showed them how to load it. They both passed. I'm not sure how much "training" they received before being able to carry.

But I get what you're saying. There are many people who should never be allowed anywhere near a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#21]
It's dead Jim.

http://tnne.ws/2nBzUXc
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Tennessee isn't a gun friendly state, at best it's a gun tolerant state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top