Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2017 11:54:27 PM EDT
The family and I have decided it is time to visit the Great Smoky mountains so we are heading that way!

Any advice on what to see and what to avoid is always appreciated from the ARFCOM brethren.

I visited the great Volunteer State when I was younger with my family when I had an uncle pass away.
They lived in Chattanooga but that was 35 years or so.

Thanks in advance and we look forward to visiting.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely Smokey Mountain Knife Works
View Quote

Glad I asked as I didn't have this on my radar!

I probably would have seen it once we got there but I need to get the family pumped up about it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I probably would have seen it once we got there but I need to get the family pumped up about it.

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Definitely Smokey Mountain Knife Works

Thanks!

In the same lot there's also a Lodge Cast Iron store, Bud's Gun Shop, and a Coleman Outlet that's really cool.  I would hit it while going into town rather than leaving town as there's no red light and turning left on that highway can sometimes be a pain.  

If you have an entire day, make a run over to Cades Cove and drive the loop.  Make sure you take lunch with you.  You can take a hay ride around the loop that will save you from having to drive yourself.  Just go to the horse barn and they'll have current prices.  It's my favorite part of the park.

If you only have half a day, make sure to go up and have a picnic in the park.  A good spot is up past Gatlinburg a few miles called the "Chimneys Campground".  I don't think it's closed down.  There's a nice roaring river you can go rock-hopping on, plenty of tables to set out your food and relax and stuff.  

Plenty of hikes in the area, but if you just want to get into nature, there's plenty of stop offs on the way back for "quiet walkways"  which are just as nice, IMO.

Hit up Smoky Mountain Brewery one night.  Their burgers are great, but their pizza is the best.  They have the oldest oven in town and it makes some of the best pizzas I've ever had.  You can sample beer before you buy, too.  I would recommend the Cherokee Red, but they've been changing the recipe lately and last time I got one it was a bit too carbonated.  They said they were changing it back, though, so who knows.  Black Bear Ale is another great one.

There will be no snow, but go up to Ober Gatlinburg and ride the chair lift to the top of the mountain.  Best views anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In the same lot there's also a Lodge Cast Iron store, Bud's Gun Shop, and a Coleman Outlet that's really cool.  I would hit it while going into town rather than leaving town as there's no red light and turning left on that highway can sometimes be a pain.  

If you have an entire day, make a run over to Cades Cove and drive the loop.  Make sure you take lunch with you.  You can take a hay ride around the loop that will save you from having to drive yourself.  Just go to the horse barn and they'll have current prices.  It's my favorite part of the park.

If you only have half a day, make sure to go up and have a picnic in the park.  A good spot is up past Gatlinburg a few miles called the "Chimneys Campground".  I don't think it's closed down.  There's a nice roaring river you can go rock-hopping on, plenty of tables to set out your food and relax and stuff.  

Plenty of hikes in the area, but if you just want to get into nature, there's plenty of stop offs on the way back for "quiet walkways"  which are just as nice, IMO.

Hit up Smoky Mountain Brewery one night.  Their burgers are great, but their pizza is the best.  They have the oldest oven in town and it makes some of the best pizzas I've ever had.  You can sample beer before you buy, too.  I would recommend the Cherokee Red, but they've been changing the recipe lately and last time I got one it was a bit too carbonated.  They said they were changing it back, though, so who knows.  Black Bear Ale is another great one.

There will be no snow, but go up to Ober Gatlinburg and ride the chair lift to the top of the mountain.  Best views anywhere.
View Quote

This is why I love ARFCOM and ARFCOMMER's!

That sound's like several great things to add to the list.

Great pizza is always on the list and we always eat at non-chain places or at least at chains that are revered and not local to us.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The Chimneys picnic area is closed. At least it was about a week ago. It closes for the season normally, but the fire hit it as well.

Also, the Chimneys trail is closed as well and looks to be for some time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Clingman's Dome has a great view.

On the way up stop at the TN / NC boarder.

The Appalachian Trail runs near both places if you'd like to check that out too.

Laural Falls is easy enough to get to.

Grotto Falls is a little more of a hike, but you can walk behind the waterfall. That's kinda neat.

I like the Apple Barn and the Old Mill restaurants. They are both in Pigeon Forge. There are plenty of pancake places too.

The Park Grill in Gatlinburg was good for dinner.

You'll have fun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Appalachian Trail runs near both places if you'd like to check that out too.

Grotto Falls is a little more of a hike, but you can walk behind the waterfall. That's kinda neat.

I like the Apple Barn and the Old Mill restaurants. They are both in Pigeon Forge. There are plenty of pancake places too.

You'll have fun.
View Quote

Nice suggestions!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Chimneys picnic area is closed. At least it was about a week ago. It closes for the season normally, but the fire hit it as well.

Also, the Chimneys trail is closed as well and looks to be for some time.
View Quote

It is closed so thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You'll have fun.
View Quote

Well the time is drawing nigh and it looks like a cold front is moving in so going behind the waterfalls might be out of the question.

If anyone is around and wants to meet up just let me know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in Pigeon Forge right now for a week.  Weather is cooperating and having a great time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]
We will be in Gatlinburg tomorrow!
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:01:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Temps are supposed to be cooler next week.  Been in Pigeon Forge since last Sunday.  Leaving on Sunday, gotta go back to work .
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Temps are supposed to be cooler next week.  Been in Pigeon Forge since last Sunday.  Leaving on Sunday, gotta go back to work .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woke up to a light dusting of snow this AM and it was brisk all say with a high of 45.

It is supposed to be 19 or lower on Tuesday night / Wednesday morning but we will be in Kennesaw, GA by then and the temps will a little warmer.

Then we head back to reality on Thursday.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Bad timing on the weather. It was almost 80 last week.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah it was 90 when we left East Texas (about 30 degrees above normal temps) last Friday.

Gatlinburg and the surrounding area is a beautiful place and we need to come back some time and spend a few more days to see everything.

There were so many places closed now because of the fire but there was still plenty to do.

We have left and are in Kennesaw, GA for the night before heading to the Georgia State Aquarium tomorrow.

It has been 37-41 degrees all day (from Gatlinburg to here) and snowing off and on all day as well.

The temp tonight was forecast for 10 in Gatlinburg so we headed South just in time.

Thanks for all of the suggestions (some we made it to and some not) as they were all spot on.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top