Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2017 9:17:22 PM EDT
Hello neighbors to the north east of Georgia!

I am coming up with my family for my birthday and was wondering what is still there to do there after the fire? Any Helicopter tours still in business? I plan on taking my father in the air so he can see the beautiful Tennessee views! 
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the things to do are still there. It was mainly homes and a few businesses that were damaged. The so called business district in Gatlinburg was pretty much untouched except for smoke damage which has been cleaned up.

None of the helicopter businesses were even in Gatlinburg, they are located well outside of the fire damage.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the things to do are still there. It was mainly homes and a few businesses that were damaged. The so called business district in Gatlinburg was pretty much untouched except for smoke damage which has been cleaned up.

None of the helicopter businesses were even in Gatlinburg, they are located well outside of the fire damage.
View Quote
Okay thank you for the information. Is Starbucks still there in Gatlinburg? 
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFAIK.

The worst area of the fire was out Hwy 321 towards Pittman Center. The downtown area was virtually untouched. The other bad areas were inside the park and on the sides of the mountains there around Gatlinburg.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Come spring you will hardly be able to notice the fire damage aside from the burned buildings.  It looked like the fire stayed low to the ground.  The trees that remained standing looked like they would bounce back.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Come spring you will hardly be able to notice the fire damage aside from the burned buildings.  It looked like the fire stayed low to the ground.  The trees that remained standing looked like they would bounce back.
View Quote

Yes and no on noticing the damage. What will be noticeable is how it will green up especially inside the park.

In some areas the fire did stay low, but other areas it did not. I did a pretty good drive through and in some areas they damage is much more severe. The trees that won't make it are hard to tell right now since the leaves aren't out yet, but I bet there will be whole areas that it will be noticeable come spring. The park service will be cutting trees down for a while especially those close to the road and popular trails that are dead.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, still there (unfortunately lol).  Tried to get in a couple weeks ago but there was a line out the door.  There's another in Sevierville that's much easier to get to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top