Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 10:13:35 AM EDT
40+ miles of twisties in beautiful Fall colors - with no traffic - was a fun bike ride. Will return. PS dont tell everbody let them stay over at Deal's Gap.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Been wanting to go up on the tower this year.  Completely forgot about it.  I'm smelling a day trip this weekend.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
40+ miles of twisties in beautiful Fall colors - with no traffic - was a fun bike ride. Will return. PS dont tell everbody let them stay over at Deal's Gap.
View Quote

Have you done Cherahala Skyway (sp?) yet? Very light traffic, spectacular views.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you done Cherahala Skyway (sp?) yet? Very light traffic, spectacular views.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cherohala is one of my favorite rides.  I love the Summer temps at altitude.  It's like riding with air-conditioning.  I need to find a route to ride it from Knoxville without using 129.  I've always done the Dragon-Cherohala loop, but really have no interest in riding the Dragon anymore.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cherohala is one of my favorite rides.  I love the Summer temps at altitude.  It's like riding with air-conditioning.  I need to find a route to ride it from Knoxville without using 129.  I've always done the Dragon-Cherohala loop, but really have no interest in riding the Dragon anymore.
View Quote

Saying the obvious, you could take 411 south & then ride over to Tellico.

I just made my first ride up to Rugby two weeks ago. I've got Jamestown, Pall Mall & Cumberland Gap on my bucket list as well. Rugby was a bit of a let down, IMO.

I also want to ride the Lookout Mtn hwy until it runs out of hills, where ever that is.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just made my first ride up to Rugby two weeks ago. I've got Jamestown, Pall Mall & Cumberland Gap on my bucket list as well. Rugby was a bit of a let down, IMO.

I also want to ride the Lookout Mtn hwy until it runs out of hills, where ever that is.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I usually take the Tellico/411 route back home when I do the Dragon-Skyway loop.   But who wants to ride the Skyway, then turn around at 129 and ride the exact same road back?  I meant I was looking for an alternate "loop" route.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I usually take the Tellico/411 route back home when I do the Dragon-Skyway loop.   But who wants to ride the Skyway, then turn around at 129 and ride the exact same road back?  I meant I was looking for an alternate "loop" route.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you're down that way, stop by the Thunder Mountain General Store & get a ThunderDog from my friends Ken & Meilissa--they also have 100% gasoline--no ethanol.  

https://www.facebook.com/ThunderMountainGeneralStoreandDeli/?fref=ts

Tell 'em I said "Hey!"

David

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm lucky to be here in Polk Co, I can ride to Tellico, up to Wartburg, Lookout Mtn or a host of other venues & return by a different way I went out.

But! There's something to be said about coming back the same way. Things look different from another direction & you often see something that you missed the first time.

I'm just glad I don't live out in the West TN, flat land area.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When you're down that way, stop by the Thunder Mountain General Store & get a ThunderDog from my friends Ken & Meilissa--they also have 100% gasoline--no ethanol.  

Tell 'em I said "Hey!"

David
View Quote

I saw that place when I rode the skyway the first (only) time. I'll have to stop in next time. The leaves are turning some now, maybe a ride today would be nice.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I saw that place when I rode the skyway the first (only) time. I'll have to stop in next time. The leaves are turning some now, maybe a ride today would be nice.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell 'em I said "Hey!"

David

Great folks--used to be our next-door neighbors.  Glad they were able to follow their dream.  We haven't been to see them yet, but it's on the list!

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, made the ride Sat. Top of the mtn temp was a brisk 37 deg F. Thankfully I had on my leather jacket while riding my bike.  

David's friends' place:  

Their cheap high test gas:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top