Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2016 1:45:21 AM EDT
I have a Mossberg 500 with a fugly digital camo Cerakote, and I want to get it parkerized and swap the plastic furniture out for wood. I live in Maryville--who around here can parkerize a shotgun? About how much should I expect to pay?

Only pic I have at the moment:

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you can parkerize the aluminum receiver on a Mossberg.  You might want to remove the barrel and mag tube and take them somewhere to get parkerized.  You could paint or powder coat the receiver.  Predator Custom shop did parkerization for me in the past, but they are now out of business. I have a 590 I'd like to get done, so I'm subscribing to this thread.  I'm in your area off the Pellissippi/Northshore exit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Some models come parkerized from the factory--are they not aluminum receivers?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The receivers are anodized with a low-gloss finish, not parkerized, from the factory. Your best bet would be to pull the barrel and mag tube, then send them off to be park'd, or have the entire shotgun done in cerakote.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Basically, I want it to look like this. How do I make it look like this.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Cera-Kote it so its all the same color. The parkerizing and anodizing on my 590 don't quite match due to being different metals.

Then you need to scrounge a set of wood stocks from Numrich while they still have them.

Edit: And starting off with a 590 instead of a 500 would help...
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cera-Kote it so its all the same color. The parkerizing and anodizing on my 590 don't quite match due to being different metals.

Then you need to scrounge a set of wood stocks from Numrich while they still have them.

Edit: And starting off with a 590 instead of a 500 would help...
View Quote

I don't want to Cerakote it. I'm trying to remove the Cerakote.

Unmatching colors is fine with me. I just want that matte, dull park'd color to it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
You can find Mosssberg wood on Ebay as well.  I bought a decent used set there for $36 shipped.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can find Mosssberg wood on Ebay as well.  I bought a decent used set there for $36 shipped.

View Quote

I'm not too worried about the wood. That should be fairly easy to get. Numrich has a lot too. I'm more worried about getting the receiver/barrel/tube to look like what I want.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Barrel, mag tube, action bars, and heat shield can be parkerized easily, so why not use CCR Refinishing in Greeneville? The receiver would need to be reanodized, and I don't know anyone who does that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not too worried about the wood. That should be fairly easy to get. Numrich has a lot too. I'm more worried about getting the receiver/barrel/tube to look like what I want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I do my 590, I plan to get the barrel and tube parked and then try to match the receiver with a similar flat finish.  Like you, I'm not that concerned about a perfect match.  I kinda like the "well used" look like the one in your pic above.  I like the wood too, but I'm using syn on this one to keep the weight down.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Barrel, mag tube, action bars, and heat shield can be parkerized easily, so why not use CCR Refinishing in Greeneville? The receiver would need to be reanodized, and I don't know anyone who does that.
View Quote

I wonder how well bead blasting the receiver would do in giving it a matte finish?

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well Greeneville is 1.5 hours away, so that's a good reason not to use them.

Can these receivers not be parkerized too? I always thought that was just another type of coating and was relatively simple to do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wonder how well bead blasting the receiver would do in giving it a matte finish?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bead blasting would leave you with no finish at all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had someone bead blast a shiny stainless barrel on my old savage bolt gun and it came out a nice matte silver.  I guess you have to know when to stop.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can these receivers not be parkerized too? I always thought that was just another type of coating and was relatively simple to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parkerizing is a finish for carbon steel ONLY, and WILL NOT WORK on your Mossberg's aluminum alloy receiver. Hence my suggestion to use cerakote or some other baked-on coating, if you want an even finish. You'd have to send your shotgun parts to two different places unless they do BOTH parkerizing and anodizing in-house.

Sheesh... Do a little research.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Contact Law Enforcment  Sales in Oak Ridge.  I he will be able to help you out with that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Contact Law Enforcment  Sales in Oak Ridge.  I he will be able to help you out with that.
View Quote

I've already talked to Mike. He definitely seems like the best option in the area.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've already talked to Mike. He definitely seems like the best option in the area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is good people.  If you want any form 3 stuff he has the cheapest transfer around FYI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top