Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2016 9:41:48 PM EDT
My BCM SOCOM barrel is back from ADCO and I need a little help this weekend reinstalling it in the receiver. My go-to guy for this kind of work has a full weekend, and all I really need is the use of an action block and a good barrel nut wrench. Loosening the barrel nut took two beefy dudes, a pro-grade workbench and vice, and a gunsmith-quality wrench. I don't know the name of the silverback gorilla that BCM uses to tighten the nuts, but he put the whammy on it, for sure. It doesn't need that kind of torque to reinstall, but I want to do it right.

I'll bring a six-pack of good beer as payment for time/effort.

Let me know.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I can help you out Sunday afternoon.
PM sent with contact info
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#2]
if you wander as far as cookeville, i can help.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I can offer a workbench and vice, but that's about it.

ETA.....I can also help drink the 6 pack.  I'm pretty good at that
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You need the infamous Pappy.  He can remove a pin and welded flash hider by hand.  But you may have to come to the far west of the state.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Standard barrel nut?

Do you have a vice?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
John, I bet they had some lock-tite on the original install.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a small vice that I used to yank the barrel off of my other AR, and it did OK. I managed to get one of the guys at Royal Range to help me get the old barrel nut broken loose in Sunday, but I think I'd be pushing my luck to go in there again and ask for help, since we snuck it in about an hour before they closed.

Bob, is the guy that builds uppers going to be at the Goodman show this weekend? I didn't see any kind of thread locker on the old barrel nut(yes, I'm using a standard barrel nut), and Finslayer83 told me he had the same issue on another BCM upper he used to own, prior to me buying this one from him a few years ago.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]
is there a show this weekend?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
According to their website, there is.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
John, I bet they had some lock-tite on the original install.
View Quote

I've heard of at least one manufacturer doing that, but their barrel nuts supposedly require heating with a torch, before they will let go.

The assembly book that I bought when I built my first AR, suggested putting a little lube on the threads, since there is a chance of the dry threads seizing over time (dissimilar metals).  Dry threads, plus having to turn the nut a bit more than normal to get the gas tube to clear, would probably be a royal pain to break loose.

I'm not far from Bellevue, but my vice is currently in my Father's basement.  I've assembled uppers with the little 4 inch vice on my toolbox at work, so you don't need much of a vice for assembly.

If it's raining this weekend, that will kill the majority of my plans for the weekend.  Even if it's not raining, driving to Bellevue and assembling an upper would be more fun that most of what's planned for my weekend.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a small vice that I used to yank the barrel off of my other AR, and it did OK. I managed to get one of the guys at Royal Range to help me get the old barrel nut broken loose in Sunday, but I think I'd be pushing my luck to go in there again and ask for help, since we snuck it in about an hour before they closed.

Bob, is the guy that builds uppers going to be at the Goodman show this weekend? I didn't see any kind of thread locker on the old barrel nut(yes, I'm using a standard barrel nut), and Finslayer83 told me he had the same issue on another BCM upper he used to own, prior to me buying this one from him a few years ago.
View Quote

Not sure if J&T will be there or not. But yes, there IS a Goodman show this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm taking the upper assembly to the show tomorrow, as all it needs is for the nut to be torqued down properly. I have it all assembled, but don't have a good wrench. Maybe I'll just buy one tomorrow at the show, or from a local shop if I can find one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I've swapped out a lot of barrels on M16's and M4's and never needed heat. If you need heat then the barrel wasn't put on correctly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've swapped out a lot of barrels on M16's and M4's and never needed heat. If you need heat then the barrel wasn't put on correctly.
View Quote

Have ya ever take off a Colt barrel?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every M16 or M4 I ever worked on was either a Colt or an FN. So yes, I have. I guess the ones you've swapped out were only used for range time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I went ahead and reassembled it completely tonight, but I do appreciate the offers of help. I'm probably going shooting early Sunday morning and wanted to get it done ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm 20 mins south of Franklin if you decide you need help.  I have a torque wrench and a reaction rod.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
"I'll bring a six-pack of good beer as payment for time/effort."

I thought the fire water was customarily traded to Native Americans, not by.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very uncool.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Very uncool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very uncool.

I agree, this isn't GD.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#21]
For a little action...
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Game back on. Time outs and penalties assessed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree, this isn't GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very uncool.

I agree, this isn't GD.

This isn't GD, so I hesitate to even ask this.....but I'm curious, was that really offensive to you as a native American?   Maybe I'm just naive, or just ignorant, but I don't get it.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#24]
would you offer to trade a black Arfcommer watermelons and fried chicken in exchange for help assembling their upper? Why stop at "fire-water"? Why not throw in a few used army hospital blankets, while you're at it?

Again, try that out in GD, not in a thread in which I'm sincerely asking for a little help.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Lets see.........booze, fried chicken and watermelon.   Sounds like a hell of a party.  I'm IN!  Especially if it is over at Mikie's.

IHJ, it really would be good to see you again................just let me know when.

BTW you coming to the Boro show at the end of the month?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lets see.........booze, fried chicken and watermelon.   Sounds like a hell of a party.  I'm IN!  Especially if it is over at Mikie's.

IHJ, it really would be good to see you again................just let me know when.

View Quote

I'd rather listen to Mikie talk shit about what he'd do to "that chick", then bring said "chick" over to embarrass the hell out of him...Again.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#27]
lulz at where this thread went.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
lulz at where this thread went.

View Quote

I shouldn't have mentioned the lube.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Next time you see 'Mikie' get him to tell you about the cute intelligent chick in the store he bought his boots at.  He is getting WAY too picky.  I had him set up perfectly.  All he would have had to do is ask her out.

Cute, advanced degree in Archeology and likes GUNS!

Quoted:

I'd rather listen to Mikie talk shit about what he'd do to "that chick", then bring said "chick" over to embarrass the hell out of him...Again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top