Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2016 2:50:04 PM EDT
Love TN.  I visit GSMNP area (Gatlinburg et al) about every year.  I have UT and IL (resident) licenses and FL permit.  Never a problem with Concealed Carry.  (Got to love a free state).

I understand Open Carry is now approved in TN.  Is it allowed for nonresidents with concealed carry authorization or only residents?

I would open carry at our cabin and in the park if it is allowed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I understand Open Carry is now approved in TN.  Is it allowed for nonresidents with concealed carry authorization or only residents?

I would open carry at our cabin and in the park if it is allowed.
View Quote

Open carry with permit is nothing new here.  A permit from any state gives you same juice as a TN permit.

Federal law allows carry in a National Park according to same laws of the state in which the park resides. Meaning in GSMNP, on the TN side, TN law, the North Carolina side, NC law. Exception is within federal buildings within the park. No carry there, and they are supposed to be posted.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you kindly.  

NC law was pretty straight forward, but I was not sure about TN regarding non-residents OC.  Did not know that OC had been around for a while in TN.  I did know that the National Parks reflect local law.  I know (and observe) the 'office' restrictions in the National Parks.  WI now allows OC as well.  Just good olde IL is . . . .

I am not 'big' on OC but I have had a number of close encounters with wildlife and like the option.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

...  Did not know that OC had been around for a while in TN....
View Quote

Has been thus since permit process was first implemented in 1989. Probably not understood and acknowledged everywhere by LE that was the legal fact till about '94.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
In TN we have a carry permit. It does not matter if open or concealed, as long as you have a valid permit. Most other state carry permits are recognized by TN. We do not have open carry without a permit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...Most other state carry permits are recognized by TN. ...
View Quote

TN recognizes permits from all states.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Some restaurants don't give a crap about open carry:

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...Most other state carry permits are recognized by TN. ...

- OS
True but some state's Weapon Carry Permits allows for other than just handguns. While in Tennessee those are limited to handgun carry only.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Where is this?  I will gladly give them my business just because!
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Probably Shooter's Grill in CO?

https://www.google.com/search?q=shooters+grill&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6_sqLncTOAhWI0iYKHVxfC9AQsAQIIA&biw=1421&bih=680

- OS
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Although technically (as per the law that is) businesses can only ban firearms or not ban firearms - there's no provision for only banning OC.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Although technically (as per the law that is) businesses can only ban firearms or not ban firearms - there's no provision for only banning OC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If my memory isn't off, there was an opinion letter from the TN Attorney General, stating that the owner or management could tell a permit holder to conceal their handgun, and tell them to leave the property if they refused to conceal (more along the lines of "you're being an ass, GTFO", instead of "you just caused me to change our policy on allowing carry").

I don't know if there have been any changes since that was written, that would make it no longer valid.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If my memory isn't off, there was an opinion letter from the TN Attorney General, stating that the owner or management could tell a permit holder to conceal their handgun, and tell them to leave the property if they refused to conceal (more along the lines of "you're being an ass, GTFO", instead of "you just caused me to change our policy on allowing carry").

I don't know if there have been any changes since that was written, that would make it no longer valid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure where the law stands, here locally, Little General gas stations have "no open carry" signs posted. Signage looks corporate printed and is a window cling, same from store to store. I conceal personally, unless I'm hunting .
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=shooters+grill&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6_sqLncTOAhWI0iYKHVxfC9AQsAQIIA&biw=1421&bih=680

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Not even the right time zone much less the right zip code.  

Uncle J's Seafood and More, Kelso, TN; about 5 miles east of Fayetteville, right off US Hwy 64.  Only open Thur-Sat. and about a block or so away from Pritchard's Distillery.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top