Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2016 1:12:55 PM EDT
Greetings Tennessee folks,

I need help, I need to arrange a vacation for my wife (and me) in October:

We've been married for almost thirty years and have never taken a real vacation, a couple of days at the beach, but that's about it.

There where always higher priorities; when we where young I was in the Army, so there was never money, or an opportunity to take leave. Then we had a kid, then we bought a house, then I went to college, etc...

We have finally reached a place in our lives, where the house is paid off, we put our daughter through college, our other debts are paid. For the first time we have the chance to take a vacation, I asked my wife "what would you like to do?" She said "let's go to Nashville!"

I have a job that gives me paid vacation, I think we can spend $3,000 - $4,500 and take four to six days.

Considering she has been right there, supporting every fool hardy thing I have ever done over the years, never complaining, I really, really, need to get this right!

You guys who know the area, where should we stay, what should we see, where are the cool places to go, are there things we should reserve in advance?

Any help getting this just right would be so very greatly appreciated!!!

Any issues regarding ccw reciprocity with Virginia?

Tldr; What's good for a vacation in Nashville?

Thanks much,
L
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Opryland Hotel.

Do it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
As for CCW - we like Virginia again. You're good to go. Follow these rules.

1. Open carry is legal, but don't be a retard about it.
2. Signs with a gun with a circle and slash through it, or the exact language quoted from T.C.A., are legally binding. Don't go places that have such signage.
3. No drinking and carrying. Zero. Not a single drop.
4. Reread #3.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
As above, Opryland hotel is pretty neat.

Lots to do. I highly suggest doing a day downtown, Parthenon, etc...

Lots of cool Cival War stuff and sights around.

You could do music, lots of live shows. And country music hall of fame.

Not far out of city for awesome nature hikes and sights.

Food, try some Nashville hot chicken
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for Opryland Hotel you could spend a couple of days there and never leave the property. Google it if your not familiar!!!. They have a free shuttle to the cool stuff downtown and in the days of Uber and Lyft a ride back after the shuttle parks for the night is not a problem. Just heed what was said about drinking and carrying.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it have to be nashville?

Ya'll might like biltmore
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You're married and a virgin? What has that got to do with... Ohhh... wait, I read that wrong.

I concur with the Opryland Hotel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Just to offer you another option, The Hermitage and The Omni are two of the nicer hotels downtown. You can walk to Broadway from either and you'll have plenty of dining and drinking choices.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can, try to check the music concert listings for your scheduled time to visit. Ryman is a helluva place to hear live music. You wife might get lucky & catch her fav person/group with a bit of foresight & planning.

Plan on a side trip to Jack Daniels in Lynchburg & I highly recommend a 1/2 day visit to Franklin (about 10 miles south). Cool Civil War spots & a (rich) Mayberry vibe to the town.

Be sure to let us know when you get closer to coming in, maybe some of us can tour guide on a day or night?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Union Station hotel is excellent and downtown, closer to all the action.  Opry is nice, but if you want to drink, walk around, etc, not very handy for that.

Omni downtown is excellent too, but pricey.  Also within walking distance of a lot of stuff.

Ryman, Ascend Amphitheater, Bridgestone Arena, Nissan Stadium all regularly host good music.  

Most of the bars on Broadway have live, free music that is covers of today's country and pop music.  Since you're married just be sure to not engage the bachelorette parties and nice looking ladies.  Plus, I called dibs on them already.  

Visit George Jones museum top floor bar, excellent views.  2nd Ave N.

Patterson House for a speakeasy type bar with great drinks.  Old Glory is the same.

Skull's Rainbow Room for a great dinner and burlesque show.

Germantown has some great restaurants too.  5th and Taylor, Rolf and Daughters, Silo, Butchertown Hall... the list goes on.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you very much guys,
it sounds like we are in for a really good time!!!

I'll let you know how it's coming together as the trip grows nearer.

L
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Have reservations at Gaylord Opryland Oct 19 - 23.

Looks Tennessee will accept a Virginia CCW.

Thanks again for the information and wise counsel!
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have reservations at Gaylord Opryland Oct 19 - 23.

Looks Tennessee will accept a Virginia CCW.

Thanks again for the information and wise counsel!
View Quote

Both AL and TN accept all other states CCW.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Leaving in the morning, thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#14]
We had a great time, thank you all!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top