Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2016 11:39:42 PM EDT
It's not too bad.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Costco has been selling wine for years.  But they had to keep it separated from the main store until the recent July 1 law effective date.  Although I'm not a wine aficionado, that Sangria isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Picked up a bottle of that for the wife, she said she enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a big Kirkland booze fan of all flavors. Maybe someday I won't have to go to Atlanta to buy my Kirkland (Macallan) 12yo single malt Scotch...  

Trader Joe's has has some decent cheap house wine as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Went and bought 2 more bottles of it today. First time I was in there they had premixed margarita. It was all gone today. I wonder if they had that by accident the first time? Nobody knows anything about the wine also. Too many choices.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
That Sangria is not for me... its 6.0% abv fruit juice

But Kirkland's Pinot Grigio (pronounced peanut-garagee-oh) is awesome. And cheap.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Costco has been selling wine for years.  But they had to keep it separated from the main store until the recent July 1 law effective date.  Although I'm not a wine aficionado, that Sangria isn't too bad.
View Quote

Interesting tidbit - here in Knox the separate but attached liquor store is not Costco. They don't have Kirkland's brands, they accepted Visa when Costco did not, and charges would clear to "Knoxville Liquor & Wine" (some name like that).  I heard that for whatever reason Costco doesn't have a liquor license(?) so they leased out that area. That's just hearsay tho.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The 2 in Memphis has a liquor store attached to it also. The one on the south side is owned by a doctor. They have tons of liquor bottled for them.

Knowledgeable people working the store is where the side stores will beat costco.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Interesting tidbit - here in Knox the separate but attached liquor store is not Costco. They don't have Kirkland's brands, they accepted Visa when Costco did not, and charges would clear to "Knoxville Liquor & Wine" (some name like that).  I heard that for whatever reason Costco doesn't have a liquor license(?) so they leased out that area. That's just hearsay tho.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my Costco.  Maybe I was wrong then.  I just assumed that liquor store was actually owned by Costco and they only kept it physically separated because of the former law against selling liquor in anything defined, in full or in part, as a grocery store.  I thought they were just meeting or skirting all legal requirements for separation and ownership.  Who knows...    

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's my Costco.  Maybe I was wrong then.  I just assumed that liquor store was actually owned by Costco and they only kept it physically separated because of the former law against selling liquor in anything defined, in full or in part, as a grocery store.  I thought they were just meeting or skirting all legal requirements for separation and ownership.  Who knows...    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One's in Memphis are not owned by Costco.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The 2 in Memphis has a liquor store attached to it also. The one on the south side is owned by a doctor. They have tons of liquor bottled for them.

Knowledgeable people working the store is where the side stores will beat costco.
View Quote

That's a bit odd that Memphis and Knoxville all have attached but separated liquor stores.  I suspect Costco has quietly been in the liquor business for a while.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe not owned on paper anyway.  It's just seems odd that Costco would build a building with a separate space specifically for a liquor store in 3 same state locations.  I still think they are somewhere in the owner chain.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That Sangria is not for me... its 6.0% abv fruit juice

But Kirkland's Pinot Grigio (pronounced peanut-garagee-oh) is awesome. And cheap.

View Quote

That Sangria is fine--it just needs a shot of vodka first.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Maybe not owned on paper anyway.  It's just seems odd that Costco would build a building with a separate space specifically for a liquor store in 3 same state locations.  I still think they are somewhere in the owner chain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall but AL or GA has the Costco liquor in one of those "wings". They can't have it in the store like, say LA, for example.

Pre-Edit:  After consulting wifey, I can say that it is the store in Marietta, GA. I was also scolded for not knowing where I buy buy my annual case of Scotch  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]
The liquor stores attached to Costco are individually owned due to state law forbidding the ownership of more than one liquor store by a single entity.

No owner can have any interest, either direct or indirect, in any other retail liquor store, wholesale license, or liquor by the drink license.
View Quote

https://www.tn.gov/abc/topic/off-premise-retail-package-store-license
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The liquor stores attached to Costco are individually owned due to state law forbidding the ownership of more than one liquor store by a single entity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No owner can have any interest, either direct or indirect, in any other retail liquor store, wholesale license, or liquor by the drink license.

So I couldn't own a "chain" of liquor stores? I don't see the logic in that thinking, what hard could it cause?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So I couldn't own a "chain" of liquor stores? I don't see the logic in that thinking, what hard could it cause?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure it's to keep you from getting too big.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're subtly playing along with my Freudian slip, bravo!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tennessee has byzantine liquor laws. Distillers must be separate from distributors, who must in turn be separate from retailers. In each "Grand Division" of the state (East, Middle, West), a distiller may only sell to one distributor. Retailers cannot buy straight from distillers, but must go through a distributor. The legislature was really protective of this so called "three-tiered" distribution system, which is why direct shipment of wine from vintners to consumers was resisted for a long time. Wine in grocery stores further upset the established order.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top