Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2016 2:47:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It is still on his desk. Typically once a bill is transmitted to his desk, the Governor has ten days to make a decision, but from what I understand he only had until today to make a decision on this legislation. I assume this is because the general session has officially adjourned. Haslam left for Asia this morning on a trip to pull in business from Asia to Tennessee, so if he was going to veto it, he would have had to do that this morning. According to the TN State Constitution, if the legislation isn't signed, it simply becomes law without his signature.

It is important to remember though that this legislation ONLY allows permit holding full-time faculty members of state colleges and universities to conceal a handgun at the institution at which they are employed. If you are not a permit holding full-time faculty member, THIS CHANGES NOTHING FOR YOU!

I am the TN State Director of Students for Concealed Carry and I also serve as the Midwest Regional Director covering TN, KY, OH, IL, IN, MI, and WI. If you are interested in becoming involved with us you can check us out on Facebook by searching for "Tennessee Students for Concealed Carry" or "University of Memphis Students for Concealed Carry." You can find the national page by searching "Students for Concealed Carry."
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It's unfortunate that it only allows faculty to carry, but it's a step in the right direction. I graduate next May so I probably won't see a law allowing students to carry before then.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not just faculty.

It's all full time employees.

The gov wisely let it roll, and it was returned without signature to-day.

There are caveats though, and I'm not certain what all of them are.

I don't know if it immediately becomes law, or 30 day thing. TBR has been silent on it.

Fake edit: here, read for yourselves - http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB1736&GA=109
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#4]
IT is a start.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
It became Law today, with out his signature...
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
It's better than nothing, even if it's not everything we want. I've been pleased with the way TN has incrementally relaxed its gun laws. Seems some of our legislators understand how to play the long game.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the email my spineless, white privileged, freedom hating University President sent out.  Two things... I'd love to know how massaged and "CompStat'ed" those safe campus numbers are and I'd love for him to send out an email saying the exact same thing, except about the First Amendment or whatever other garbage his type believes in.  It'd be interesting to see the different reactions

Campus  Community:

Effective July 1, 2016, new legislation will allow full-time employees of the University of Memphis to carry handguns on our campuses if the employee has a valid Tennessee handgun carry permit. I opposed this legislation as I do not believe the presence of more weapons will make our campus safer. The University of Memphis campuses have consistently been among the safest in the state, which is critical to student success. We believe our exemplary safety record is due in part to guns being prohibited with the exception of those carried by highly-trained police officers.

Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) Interim Chancellor David Gregory issued a message yesterday containing the following statement:

“TBR strongly and consistently opposed the legislation to allow guns on our campuses . . . Our police chiefs and public safety officers will face greater challenges when responding to emergency situations with the complexity this law adds to their responsibilities. That said, it is now incumbent upon us and our institutions to ensure the guidelines are clearly articulated and do all we can to help our campuses remain safe for all.”

The UofM is studying the legislation and will provide guidance to comply with the new laws. More information will follow upon completion of our campus discussions.

UofM

M. David Rudd
President | Distinguished University Professor
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#8]
What a douche. I always wonder what would happen if a U president sent out emails saying he opposed title IX or something. Dude, it's the law, just follow it and STFU
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I got the same email today... interesting even more in light that just today there was a rape reported on campus.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the email my spineless, white privileged, freedom hating University President sent out.  Two things... I'd love to know how massaged and "CompStat'ed" those safe campus numbers are and I'd love for him to send out an email saying the exact same thing, except about the First Amendment or whatever other garbage his type believes in.  It'd be interesting to see the different reactions
Campus  Community:
UofM

M. David Rudd
President | Distinguished University Professor
View Quote

Interesting information:

(Commuter school, major athletic activities off campus...)

ETA: I grew up next to/across the street from MSU/UofM (on Norriswood, directly across from Richardson Towers).

I went to Campus School for elementary. Attended the University for a while, also. Where my house was is now a parking lot for the school...

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
And so, it's begun.

Waiting for the halls to run red with blood...  
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Wife's been carrying her 938.  Makes me feel a little safer since there are rapes that happen on campus and assaults/robberies (ETSU for those wanting to know).
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#13]
ETSU seems pretty on board with it. Full time staff and faculty with a HCP are allowed to carry.  My wife was "warned" about printing so obviously has to dress accordingly, which is a struggle with her at times because she doesn't think about clothing selection and carry when she is at work.  She can keep her gun within arms reach in a bag, but obviously the bag has to stay with her at all times.  She is not allowed to carry in the health clinic on campus, University (it's like a private school for kids/teens) or athletic facilities/athletic events.  

She was worried that she wouldn't be able to carry at all because she works in the same building where the campus clinic is and works in the clinic as well, but she can carry as long as she is not in the clinic.  She had to register with campus police and they are keeping things pretty well under wraps about who has a weapon.  I think that's about it.  If you all have questions let me know and I'll try to answer as I can and please feel free to correct if I stated anything incorrectly.

Also feel free to make suggestions about bags that aren't tactical in nature, but would make a good CCW bag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top