Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2016 10:49:56 PM EDT
Is there anybody in or around Clarkville that would be able to spare a couple hours on a weekend to work with me and show me what kind of tools and a proper set?

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
pretty sure joe evans center for arts and crafts at center hill lake (affiliated with TN tech univ) has been teaching blacksmithing for >30 years.  consider taking a class
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know if they are still around, but the Possum Trot Forge Council used to have meetings in Adams, TN.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Blacksmithing conference in Murfreesboro May 19-21. Will be a good place to meet and greet and find someone up your way.
https://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5525695488.html
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Is Larry Cole still around Clarksville?

Its been 25+ years ago but he spent an afternoon showing me a few basics and helping with a project. I see from the link he is still in the activity.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blacksmithing conference in Murfreesboro May 19-21. Will be a good place to meet and greet and find someone up your way.
View Quote

I was going to post this.  I too have an interest in learning some blacksmithing skills.  I may run down there for a day if I have time.  I've been in search for a decent and affordable anvil for about a year now. I figure it might be a good place to look.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was going to post this.  I too have an interest in learning some blacksmithing skills.  I may run down there for a day if I have time.  I've been in search for a decent and affordable anvil for about a year now. I figure it might be a good place to look.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anvils aren't hard to find, just stupid expensive for a good one. I run across them regularly if you have the $$$ laid back I can hook you up.
Rheumatoid Arthritis has put the damper on my smithing activities
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Anvils aren't hard to find, just stupid expensive for a good one. I run across them regularly if you have the $$$ laid back I can hook you up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the $/pound currently running?  15 years ago, $2/pound for a good quality anvil, seemed to be the 'better jump on that deal' price.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw a Hay Budden 125lb  sell for $650 the other day and the buyer about ripped his pocket getting the money out. Peter Wrights command high prices as well. look to spend $5/lb as an average for those. Good quality no name are anywhere from $2.50 to $4
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I saw a Hay Budden 125lb  sell for $650 the other day and the buyer about ripped his pocket getting the money out. Peter Wrights command high prices as well. look to spend $5/lb as an average for those. Good quality no name are anywhere from $2.50 to $4
View Quote

I like Mousehole (have used two of them, and don't currently have an anvil).  I would expect them to run about the same as a Peter Wright.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow...when I  was first interested in getting into all this a decent anvil was going for $1 / lb.....I am getting old

I do have my grandfather's old farrier anvil...it is priceless.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I can find them, I just don't want to pay more than $3/lb for a good quality/condition anvil.   Eventually, I'll either find what I'm looking for or break down and spring for one.   But as of yet, I haven't had that great of a need for one.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep your cool and wait on a deal. I use two made from old railroad track. One I made, one my dad made. If your patient you may find one at your price. Too many people that are willing to pay stupid prices have driven the price up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Too many people that are willing to pay stupid prices have driven the price up.
View Quote

Around 20 years ago, I saw an anvil at the Nashville flea market.  As I got closer, I could tell that it was not even worth asking about.  Don't know what make it was, but it was probably in the 100 to 125 pound range.  Somebody had 'antiqued it' with (from the looks of it) some serious application of an angle grinder (and definitely not in a good way), then tossed a coat of gloss black paint on it.  The deep gouges through the work face and into the underlying metal, made it something that would only be worth considering if you were willing to do some serious repair work and could get it at a dirt cheap price.

They had a $400 pricetag on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:52:25 AM EDT
[#14]
One on craigslist

$3.22 a pound, not bad but try to get it cheaper
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's a guy in Atlanta that might be worth a road trip.
https://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/5548632077.html
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#17]

I have a constant search going for the Nashville and surrounding areas.  They tend toe eaither be beat to hell, or stupid expensive.  But sooner or later, I'll find exactly what I'm looking for    

At the moment, I'm gathering up the knowledge and parts to build myself a propane forge.  Once I get that done, I'll be a lot more motivated to find one.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have a constant search going for the Nashville and surrounding areas.  They tend toe eaither be beat to hell, or stupid expensive.  But sooner or later, I'll find exactly what I'm looking for    

At the moment, I'm gathering up the knowledge and parts to build myself a propane forge.  Once I get that done, I'll be a lot more motivated to find one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Guy named Ron Reil used to have a webpage with his plans for a propane burner for a forge.  Seemed to be a good design.

ETA: Just did a quick Google, and abana.org apparently has a page on his forge design.  There's also a YouTube video on building the Ron Reil burner.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Guy named Ron Reil used to have a webpage with his plans for a propane burner for a forge.  Seemed to be a good design.

ETA: Just did a quick Google, and abana.org apparently has a page on his forge design.  There's also a YouTube video on building the Ron Reil burner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I've seen his burner design, and there are a few others that interest me as well.  I'll check the link out for info.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#20]
It's odd how things work sometimes.  I picked this up today.  Owner says it weighs in at 135 lbs which is smaller than I wanted, but I picked it up with the stand for $300.  It's in overall good condition and has a good bounce!

ETA....And I apologize to the OP.  Not meaning to hijack your thread.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's odd how things work sometimes.  I picked this up today.  Owner says it weighs in at 135 lbs which is smaller than I wanted, but I picked it up with the stand for $300.  It's in overall good condition and has a good bounce!

<a href="http://s339.photobucket.com/user/mackattack2005/media/20160504_194236.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n477/mackattack2005/20160504_194236.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s339.photobucket.com/user/mackattack2005/media/20160504_194244.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n477/mackattack2005/20160504_194244.jpg</a>

ETA....And I apologize to the OP.  Not meaning to hijack your thread.

View Quote

Good score!!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Just ran across a Hay Budden ( 125#  I think it weighed ) sitting in an antique shop in Bell Buckle  for $450 , the shop owner said she'd take $350 for it .

Edit -pic added
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top