Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2016 2:14:26 PM EDT
Hi all,
I grew up in Nashville (Brentwood) and moved away 21 years ago. I very rarely go back for business reasons and when I do, the place is nearly unrecognizable. That said, I loved that area and the family and I have decided to leave the Atlanta suburbs for the Nashville suburbs. We don't really have any ties keeping us here.

We're a family of 5. Boy, girl, boy ages 11, 9, 2 and a Great Dane. My oldest son has autism and receives special services at his school now. The other two are typical but we'll need a school that can accommodate his needs.  I travel a ton for work and 90% is by air. So a commute under an hour to BNA would be nice. Our price range is $300-400K. Closer to $300K is better.  My wife stays home so we're looking for areas with families similar to ours. We want a good social circle.

Priorities for us in this order: school districts, square footage, privacy.

I think I want south of Nashville. We've done some online searching in Springhill, Thompson Station, Murfreesboro and Columbia. Right now I like Springhill. Please offer other suggestions or narrow that down to a particular part of the city. Brentwood is crazy now!

We're getting our house ready right now. We're coming up April 23rd to look at areas and find a realtor. Looking for recommendations here too. We'd like to be moved in prior to the next school year.

I love to shoot and would like an outdoor range. I once belonged to Owl Hollow as a teenager. I'd be happy with a place like that.

We're your basic all American family looking to move to the best state in the south. Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations in advance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd recommend Franklin as a good place to start if you want the burbs, with that kind of money I'd personally move a little further out (south) and have some land.  I moved back to West TN after a 22 year absence, it was like a live episode of Green Acres after living outside Jacksonville FL.  It's good to be back in TN though.    Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't overlook Bellevue/Kingston Springs, either. The morning commute from the West Side is definitely easier than from the south, and MUCH easier than coming from Murfreesboro. Undefined is a neighbor and he probably knows a lot more about real estate prices around here than I do.

Edit: Owl Hollow is $90/year and full of Fudds now, making it not a lot of fun to shoot at anymore. Email Tony at Strategic Edge and get on their membership waiting list. Once you join there you'll never shoot anywhere else. I gladly drive a 20 year old Civic 58 miles one-way to shoot there a few weekends a month, it's that cool. right here..
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't overlook Bellevue/Kingston Springs, either. The morning commute from the West Side is definitely easier than from the south, and MUCH easier than coming from Murfreesboro. Undefined is a neighbor and he probably knows a lot more about real estate prices around here than I do.[/url]
View Quote

Really on Bellevue? The last time I was there it looked like it was turning for the worse. I remember when the mall out there opened. I understand it's now closed. I'll certainly do my homework though. How are the schools?
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The mall property is now a giant construction project. Look towards Hwy 100/Pasquo or the McCrory Lane area, but I don't have any problems where I live. Chateau Ironhand is on top of a hill kind of above the Hwy 70 Publix.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The mall property is now a giant construction project. Look towards Hwy 100/Pasquo or the McCrory Lane area, but I don't have any problems where I live. Chateau Ironhand is on top of a hill kind of above the Hwy 70 Publix.
View Quote

Sorry if I derail a bit, but what are the plans for the old Bellevue Mall site?

On topic:  If you're considering the country life, going out towards Fairview but still in Davidson County is still relatively unspoiled if you get off of the main road just a bit.  I made a recent pilgrimage to the home I grew up in and was pleasantly surprised to see things looking relatively untouched after you get past the Natchez Trace terminus.  Like you, I moved away a bit more than 20 years ago.  Unless things have changed dramatically, once you get to Williamson County, everything in that area is zoned for Fairview schools, which were the red-headed stepchild of the Williamson County school system.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I currently live in spring hill. Its a nice town but there has been a influx of northerns and traffic can be a pain in the rear at times. Thompson station is nice and rural. From these areas your commute to BNA would be >1hr. You could definitely find a nice home within your budget in this area and probably a little acreage toward Thompson station. Spring Hill is mostly subdivisions majority of houses sit on .5 to 1 acre. I went to Owl Hollow a couple weeks ago to test my new AR it has probably been a couple years since I went cause I have a farm in wayne co. They have changed to a private gun club and membership is $90 for calendar year. I would join again but we are thinking of moving and it would be a waste of resources. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sorry if I derail a bit, but what are the plans for the old Bellevue Mall site?
View Quote

A little difficult to keep that straight, since there have been a few plans announced, then fizzled out when they couldn't get funding or metro approval or whatever.

I think the current plan is for a complex with a mix of retail, office, and a few other things.  Not a single, large building (mall), but a complex of smaller buildings.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
We couldn't afford Williamson County, so we ended up north of Nashville in Hendersonville.  It's decidedly suburb, but with county options if that suits you better.  So far, we absolutely love it here.  

Every time I go west of Nashville, I like it there too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't overlook Bellevue/Kingston Springs, either. The morning commute from the West Side is definitely easier than from the south, and MUCH easier than coming from Murfreesboro. Undefined is a neighbor and he probably knows a lot more about real estate prices around here than I do.

Edit: Owl Hollow is $90/year and full of Fudds now, making it not a lot of fun to shoot at anymore. Email Tony at Strategic Edge and get on their membership waiting list. Once you join there you'll never shoot anywhere else. I gladly drive a 20 year old Civic 58 miles one-way to shoot there a few weekends a month, it's that cool. [url=http://www.strategicedge.us/gun-range]right here..[/url]
View Quote

You can say that again.  At owl hollow I got told to slow down my rate of fire right after I gave the guy a hundred bucks for me and a guest.  

I was taking aimed shots with a handgun, all good hits.  

I'm on the list for Strategic Edge, I took my ccw class there, it's nice.  

I'm in Spring Hill, it's a great community for children/families.  I'm looking for a few acres in the area, land is high in Williamson county, might have to go elsewhere.  We really like the area/people though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
This is happening! My house will be on the market within 2 weeks and I'm heading up tomorrow. We have a realtor taking us all over Spring Hill on Saturday.

Anything going on this weekend?  Since my parents will be there, I can have a date night sans kiddos for the first time in ages.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Big car show this weekend at the Titans stadium.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife is the best Realtor I've ever known and owns a company in Williamson County.  PM me if you want boots on the ground
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife is the best Realtor I've ever known and owns a company in Williamson County.  PM me if you want boots on the ground
View Quote

Where were you earlier!  We found one and will give her a chance. I've fired realtors before if I feel they aren't working in our best interest. If I get that feeling, you'll be hearing from me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Where were you earlier!  We found one and will give her a chance. I've fired realtors before if I feel they aren't working in our best interest. If I get that feeling, you'll be hearing from me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't see this thread.

If your Realtor is not busting his/her ass for you now is the time to switch. If you come in from out of town all of the homes should have been previewed to weed out the junk and not waste your precious time.  Did your Realtor do this?

The hard part of their job is after you find what you like  
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Our realtor turned out to be amazing. She's been sending us new listings daily and, by now, she knows exactly what we're looking for. We had a full day on Saturday and fell in love with a house. Going through the process now to buy. Hope my current house sells quickly.

ETA: she did weed out the bad ones.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who's your wife? Which company?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, we finally found our house. Moving to a neighborhood called Bellshire in Spring Hill. Unfortunately the home won't be ready until September so we'll be renting until it's ready. It's a ton of stress moving but we have to focus on the end goal. I'll be leaving GA July 1st.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, we finally found our house. Moving to a neighborhood called Bellshire in Spring Hill. Unfortunately the home won't be ready until September so we'll be renting until it's ready. It's a ton of stress moving but we have to focus on the end goal. I'll be leaving GA July 1st.
View Quote

Well, if you are ever in need of EMS services, my middle son will almost certainly be one of the First Responders. Keep an eye out for the musclebound, tatooed, long-haired, Sioux paramedic. If you croak, he may want your scalp when the coroner is done with you.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice, welcome neighbor.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Once you get settled, check out the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) There are a few teams in the area's that you are looking at and your kids can start once their in the 4th grade.

www.tnsctp.org

Welcome
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top