Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2015 4:28:11 PM EDT
What are TN's laws regarding the storage of a rifle in the trunk of a vehicle?

Are loaded mags separate from the rifle kosher?

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You can have a loaded long gun or handgun anywhere in your vehicle as long as you legally can possess firearms. Have to have a permit to carry a handgun on your person out of the vehicle. I personally recommend empty chamber, loaded mag on the long gun but that's just my $.02
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can have a loaded long gun or handgun anywhere in your vehicle as long as you legally can possess firearms....
View Quote

Only exception is in posted lots and school property, which requires a carry permit.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a VA and AZ permit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:16:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't show 'em both if ever asked, it'll probably confuse the cop. Just keep with the Southern one.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't show 'em both if ever asked, it'll probably confuse the cop. Just keep with the Southern one.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously! We have a wildlife management area where I work and I have to send emails out at the beginning of hunting season every year letting them know that there will be people with guns there and its OK, leave them alone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can have a loaded long gun or handgun anywhere in your vehicle as long as you legally can possess firearms. Have to have a permit to carry a handgun on your person out of the vehicle. I personally recommend empty chamber, loaded mag on the long gun but that's just my $.02
View Quote

The long gun must have an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was required when only permit holders could have a long gun in the car. That part is not specified in the current law because it does not specify between handguns and long guns. But I do recommend it. I've seen a few patrol cars with holes in then over the years(more professional and all that) so that's why empty chamber is called cruiser carry.

Edit for TCA Citation:
39-17-1307.  Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.

(a)  (1) A person commits an offense who carries, with the intent to go armed, a firearm or a club.

(2)  (A) The first violation of subdivision (a)(1) is a Class C misdemeanor, and, in addition to possible imprisonment as provided by law, may be punished by a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500).

(B) A second or subsequent violation of subdivision (a)(1) is a Class B misdemeanor.

(C) A violation of subdivision (a)(1) is a Class A misdemeanor if the person's carrying of a handgun occurred at a place open to the public where one (1) or more persons were present.

(b)  (1) A person commits an offense who unlawfully possesses a firearm, as defined in § 39-11-106, and:

(A) Has been convicted of a felony involving the use or attempted use of force, violence, or a deadly weapon; or

(B) Has been convicted of a felony drug offense.

(2) An offense under subdivision (b)(1)(A) is a Class C felony.

(3) An offense under subdivision (b)(1)(B) is a Class D felony.

(c)  (1) A person commits an offense who possesses a handgun and has been convicted of a felony.

(2) An offense under subdivision (c)(1) is a Class E felony.

(d)  (1) A person commits an offense who possesses a deadly weapon other than a firearm with the intent to employ it during the commission of, attempt to commit, or escape from a dangerous offense as defined in § 39-17-1324.

(2) A person commits an offense who possesses any deadly weapon with the intent to employ it during the commission of, attempt to commit, or escape from any offense not defined as a dangerous offense by § 39-17-1324.

(3)  (A) Except as provided in subdivision (d)(3)(B), a violation of this subsection (d) is a Class E felony.

(B) A violation of this subsection (d) is a Class E felony with a maximum fine of six thousand dollars ($6,000), if the deadly weapon is a switchblade knife.

(e)  (1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle if the person:

(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or purchasing a firearm by § 39-17-1316; and

(B) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle.

(2) As used in this subsection (e):

(A) "Motor vehicle" has the same meaning as defined in § 55-1-103;

(B) "Motor vehicle" does not include any motor vehicle that is:

(i) Owned or leased by a governmental or private entity that has adopted a written policy prohibiting firearms or ammunition not required for employment within such a motor vehicle; and

(ii) Provided by such entity to an employee for use during the course of employment.

(f)  (1) A person commits an offense who possesses a firearm, as defined in § 39-11-106(a), and:

(A) Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921, and is still subject to the disabilities of such a conviction;

(B) Is, at the time of the possession, subject to an order of protection that fully complies with 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(8); or

(C) Is prohibited from possessing a firearm under any other state or federal law.

(2) If the person is licensed as a federal firearms dealer or a responsible party under a federal firearms license, the determination of whether such an individual possesses firearms that constitute the business inventory under the federal license shall be determined based upon the applicable federal statutes or the rules, regulations and official letters, rulings and publications of the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives.

(3) For purposes of this section, a person does not possess a firearm, including, but not limited to, firearms registered under the National Firearms Act, compiled in 26 U.S.C. § 5801 et seq., if the firearm is in a safe or similar container that is securely locked and to which the respondent does not have the combination, keys or other means of normal access.

(4) A violation of subdivision (f)(1) is a Class A misdemeanor and each violation constitutes a separate offense.

(5) If a violation of subdivision (f)(1) also constitutes a violation of § 36-3-625(h) or § 39-13-113(h), the respondent may be charged and convicted under any or all such sections.

HISTORY: Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1990, ch. 1029, § 6; 2007, ch. 412, § 1; 2007, ch. 594, § 3; 2008, ch. 1166, § 1; 2008, ch. 1176, § 1; 2009, ch. 431, § 1; 2009, ch. 455, § 6; 2010, ch. 793, § 1; 2012, ch. 726, § 1; 2014, ch. 647, §§ 4, 5; 2014, ch. 870, § 1.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Good to know and i agree, to leave the chamber empty on long guns.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably a good idea to print that and keep a copy in the car, a lot of cops are still fairly ignorant about firearms laws. They go by what was law when they were rookies and fail to keep up. Like the case a few years ago where the Sumner county man was arrested and CONVICTED for an illegal short barreled rifle when in fact it was a Kel-Tec PLR-16 .223 pistol. I hope that guy gets wind of this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/11/18/constitutional-right-to-obtain-exculpatory-evidence-from-prosecutors-extends-to-plea-bargain-phase/

In that case the prosecutor withheld the fact that it was a legal pistol as classified by BATF from the judge, jury and the defense. I will try to find the link to the story.

EDIT:Ok I was wrong, wasn't convicted but forced to sell the gun in exchange for having case dropped.http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=546327&page=3
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Probably a good idea to print that and keep a copy in the car, a lot of cops are still fairly ignorant about firearms laws. They go by what was law when they were rookies and fail to keep up. Like the case a few years ago where the Sumner county man was arrested and CONVICTED for an illegal short barreled rifle when in fact it was a Kel-Tec PLR-16 .223 pistol. I hope that guy gets wind of this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/11/18/constitutional-right-to-obtain-exculpatory-evidence-from-prosecutors-extends-to-plea-bargain-phase/

In that case the prosecutor withheld the fact that it was a legal pistol as classified by BATF from the judge, jury and the defense. I will try to find the link to the story.

EDIT:Ok I was wrong, wasn't convicted but forced to sell the gun in exchange for having case dropped.http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=546327&page=3
View Quote

That prosecutor needs to be disbarred and jailed.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I heard a new one, the other day.

If you build an AR-15 from an 80% lower, the rifle is not legal until you send in the form.

A guy I used to work for, stopped by and told me that he had been given that little piece of helpful information when he took his AR-15 to the range to test it out.  I'll have to ask for clarification, the next time I see him, but I think he was saying that the person that told him that, worked at the range.  I don't know which range, since my brain was focused on "what fucking form are they talking about?".  I asked him "what form?", and he just shrugged his shoulders.  Apparently, the helpful gun law expert wasn't helpful enough to tell him which form "the form" was.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Yea seriously what form? Tell your guy to take one of the green postage return cards from registered mail and flash that at the guy and say "I sent it registered mail, is it in the system yet?" Lololol
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Every traffic stop I've seen between Knoxville and Jellico on I-75 (which I traverse 3 times a week) the LEOs have the trunk and doors open for searches. I am assuming it's a voluntary search for the most part.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Every traffic stop I've seen between Knoxville and Jellico on I-75 (which I traverse 3 times a week) the LEOs have the trunk and doors open for searches. I am assuming it's a voluntary search for the most part.
View Quote

Search my vehicle?  Um, no.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Likely drug task force searches. TN loves their drug task forces. I've never seen anyone stopped on the interstate by anyone other than State Trooper (speeding) or drug task force.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Likely drug task force searches. TN loves their drug task forces. I've never seen anyone stopped on the interstate by anyone other than State Trooper (speeding) or drug task force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. The THP and Campbell county have hit the jackpot up there before. Several years back they searched a car with a couple million hidden in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top