Posted: 10/8/2015 10:22:12 PM EDT
Possibly could happen tonight

Hell has froze over, 1991 since last whitey in charge. link
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Possibly could happen tonight
View Quote

Has anyone checked on the status of hell?  Icy yet?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations Memphis!!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congratulations Memphis!!!!!  
View Quote

He is a dem though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
This is not an improvement
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah we know,  thanks buzz kill.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Is he bringing a million more with him?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My phone blowing up from the self-delusional texts has been annoying me
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Holy shit.  I couldn't believe it.
Never thought I'd see this again in my lifetime.  My coworkers are floored.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anything is an improvement over the Herenton crew and its corruption and ignorance. Wharton was a Herenton guy and the city had to get rid of that mess. The last two mayors were elected on "popularity" only and they had no idea how to run a big city.

Apparently as a councilman, Strickland never voted for a tax increase. Lets see how long that lasts. I wont hold my breath. However, he has to be better than the last two.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I was stationed at NAS Memphis in the early 90's when the white flight really picked up after the 91 election, I lived in a nice quiet rural Tipton County then Memphis moved there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Anything is an improvement over the Herenton crew and its corruption and ignorance. Wharton was a Herenton guy and the city had to get rid of that mess. The last two mayors were elected on "popularity" only and they had no idea how to run a big city.

Apparently as a councilman, Strickland never voted for a tax increase. Lets see how long that lasts. I wont hold my breath. However, he has to be better than the last two.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Idk he ran nonpartisan, but chaired the Shelby county demarcate party.      On the other hand he's got to be better than king Willie .
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Recently, Detroit voted in its first white mayor since the early '70s.

When things get desperate enough, they're willing to throw a hailmary.

Still Democrats, however, and the cities will continue to circle the drain. There is really no saving them and I wonder why anyone, especially white, would even take the job. They'll just end up being scapegoats.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to be an optimist at this point. The last 2 mayors were a joke. I don't expect Strickland to turn Memphis into a conservative holy land, but my hope is that he at least stops the bleeding.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have to be an optimist at this point. The last 2 mayors were a joke. I don't expect Strickland to turn Memphis into a conservative holy land, but my hope is that he at least stops the bleeding.
View Quote

Maybe he has a "little" sense to him with his background. Maybe.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you're in error saying Willie and AC were the same. Very different men and policies. Willie took care of himself and his and little more, ran the city into the ground with some shitty policies. AC's end goal was always consolidation. It's obvious the county was never going to vote for a metro gov so he was going to accomplish it piecemeal. The problem with that is you further destroy the city in the process. Combine that with corruption, incompetence, and an all around screwing over of your citizens and public safety workers and you end up with a guy like Strickland in office.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top