Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2015 1:38:03 PM EDT
I'm trying to plan my birthday out next year and hog hunting crossed my mind.  Some Googling shows that there are a ton of lodges/ranches in the state.  I was considering going down to Nashville and other parts of the state and maybe going for a hunt at the end of the trip.

Questions I have:

Is mid December a decent time for hogs?

Suggestions for places?  I would like to get as far away from "fish in a barrel" hunting and I know some places are more of this than others.  Would prefer if place offered cleaning/quartering as I'm not versed at all in pigs.

I probably wouldn't stay at any of the lodges as I'll have my wife with me, we'll probably grab a hotel / motel near by for a lil more privacy.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm trying to plan my birthday out next year and hog hunting crossed my mind.  Some Googling shows that there are a ton of lodges/ranches in the state.  I was considering going down to Nashville and other parts of the state and maybe going for a hunt at the end of the trip.

Questions I have:

Is mid December a decent time for hogs?

Suggestions for places?  I would like to get as far away from "fish in a barrel" hunting and I know some places are more of this than others.  Would prefer if place offered cleaning/quartering as I'm not versed at all in pigs.

I probably wouldn't stay at any of the lodges as I'll have my wife with me, we'll probably grab a hotel / motel near by for a lil more privacy.

Thanks
View Quote

Unless they've changed the regs, again, Tennessee Wildlife Resources has been discouraging the release of hogs (to create a population of hogs to hunt) by making it illegal to hunt hogs.

There is an exception, for land owners to hunt hogs on their own property, and the land owner can designate ten (I think) people to help hunt nuisance hogs on their property.  Looking at it from the point of view of someone trying to make some extra money by charging for hunting hogs on their land, the regs seem set up to encourage people to release hogs, rather than discourage them, since it creates a system nearly ideal for hunting leases.

But I haven't been keeping up with the changes (they seem to change something, every year), and they may have tossed that plan out the window.

ETA:
Looks like there's also an exception for taking hogs "incidental to another hunt" for certain Wildlife Management Areas.
http://tn.gov/twra/article/wild-hog-regulations
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump to see if I can get any other responses.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
No hog hunting for sport in TN. You have to be a landowner or one of the designees a landowner may have for exterminating hogs. TWRA Hog link
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No hog hunting for sport in TN. You have to be a landowner or one of the designees a landowner may have for exterminating hogs. TWRA Hog link
View Quote

Hmm okay, I guess the information is dated on these so called lodges websites.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#5]
All the game wardens in my area (McNairy Co.) basically have said they don't care about the designation thing, kill all the hogs you see.  So if you know someone with land that has hogs, you could still look into it.  dunno, food for thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top