Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2015 9:54:29 PM EDT
Just like the title says. Mrs. Miami_JBT and I want something away from the typical tourist trap areas. We want a nice piece of land up in the mountains with a small cabin on it. Something we can hunt and shoot on.

Have no clue where to look. Every time I look online all I get are tourist rental cabins for sale in the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area. I don't want a property that I can rent out... I want a property that I can enjoy and get the hell away from people.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a link.

Franklin County is a pretty good place.  About an hour from Huntsville Alabama, Chattanooga, and a little over an hour from Nashville.

Here's another.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
What you seek is on the plateau...Fentress or Overton County.  You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Lotsa wild places around Wilder.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Greeneville area is nice.

45 minutes to either Asheville, NC. or Gatlinburg.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything remotely close to the Smokies is going to be expensive and probably semi developed.

Look towards Monroe county, Tellico Plains area. This is where the South Cherokee National Forest is and hunting and shooting are allowed as opposed to the Smokies.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Check the Townsend area.  Far enough away from the tourist traps, but still close to the park area.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Polk Co.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep 'em coming guys!

We want this as a vacation/retirement property. Something with some land to shoot on and hunting opportunities either on it or near it. Nice 3/2 or 2/2 Cabin/Home.

Maybe $150,000 is the upper price range.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Keep 'em coming guys!

We want this as a vacation/retirement property. Something with some land to shoot on and hunting opportunities either on it or near it. Nice 3/2 or 2/2 Cabin/Home.

View Quote

See my post above...again, you're welcome.  The issue with the places I listed, as well as a few others...Monroe, Polk, Loudon, Roane, etc...is that they are in the heart of meth country.  I mean the most fucked up backwards hillbilly redneck scum white trash that you've ever seen.  There is high risk of vandalism or worse at a property like this where nobody is there for extended periods of time.  You would do well to meet some of the locals in the area you are looking at, and possibly work out a deal for someone to check on your property on a regular basis.  

For comparison, I am WAY more comfortable with my property in AR where we duck hunt...the finest people in the world live there.  It's 7.5 hours away, and I don't have the slightest worry.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
See my post above...again, you're welcome.  The issue with the places I listed, as well as a few others...Monroe, Polk, Loudon, Roane, etc...is that they are in the heart of meth country.  I mean the most fucked up backwards hillbilly redneck scum white trash that you've ever seen.  There is high risk of vandalism or worse at a property like this where nobody is there for extended periods of time.  You would do well to meet some of the locals in the area you are looking at, and possibly work out a deal for someone to check on your property on a regular basis.  

For comparison, I am WAY more comfortable with my property in AR where we duck hunt...the finest people in the world live there.  It's 7.5 hours away, and I don't have the slightest worry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep 'em coming guys!

Other states interest us except for the whole State Income Tax issue. We still might look elsewhere but Tennessee has gotten our attention. Thanks for the info.... seriously.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check the Townsend area.  Far enough away from the tourist traps, but still close to the park area.
View Quote

This is what I would recommend as well. Beautiful area right in the mountains; urban sprawl may eventually turn it into a tourist trap in 20 years, but for now it's far enough way that it isn't a problem at all.

I live in Maryville and it's the valley, but the mountains are a 20 minute drive away. There are several locations in Blount County that should suit you well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
My dream has always been to be able to work in Maryville and live in Townsend/Wears Valley area. My wife is a RN/BSN and I am  Master Electrician/Fire Officer/Medic. I would love to retire in that area. I have been to Gburg/PF area almost 100 times. We stayed in Wears Valley or Townsend the most. What is the job market like in or around Maryville/Townsend area?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My dream has always been to be able to work in Maryville and live in Townsend/Wears Valley area. My wife is a RN/BSN and I am  Master Electrician/Fire Officer/Medic. I would love to retire in that area. I have been to Gburg/PF area almost 100 times. We stayed in Wears Valley or Townsend the most. What is the job market like in or around Maryville/Townsend area?
View Quote

The job market is much better closer into Maryville, but then again, it's got a much greater population. Pretty much what's in Townsend is tourist related and thus seasonal.

Lots of industrial parks in and around Maryville. Oak Ridge is not that bad a drive from Maryville out Pellissippi Parkway, at the plants.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with both of Blake's post.  This area has what you're looking for, but due to the high unemployment and drug use it does have a trashy people.  If you look at Wilder be careful, there was a developer who supposedly scammed a lot of people and made promises that he didn't intend to deliver.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you look at Wilder be careful, there was a developer who supposedly scammed a lot of people and made promises that he didn't intend to deliver.  
View Quote

Thats a fact, jack.

Power, water, lol.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey they got a fire department building in Townsend now!  It's about the size of a train car, but it's nice!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thats a fact, jack.

Power, water, lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you look at Wilder be careful, there was a developer who supposedly scammed a lot of people and made promises that he didn't intend to deliver.  

Thats a fact, jack.

Power, water, lol.

Seems to be a theme in TN.  Here in Knoxville, nothing big seems to be built around here without lots of corruption.  Our downtown was revitalized back in 2000, and the biggest pushers had lots of property in the Market Square area, lots of supposedly successful joints.  Turns out this was their side job, next to running drugs, lol.  Met them many times and seemed like nice folks.  

Now we just got a big fancy zipline park and the first day somebody dies.  From what I was told, and I could be wrong, but the guy who was in charge of inspecting the stuff and turning it in to gov't also happened to be the owner.  

Some of our biggest buildings, here and in Chattanooga, were built by a dude who's either dead now or still in jail, can't remember.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top