Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 4:42:56 PM EDT
And if Metro Council gets the General Assembly to play ball it may be coming to a community near you.

There are two competing ordinances on the council's agenda.

ORDINANCE NO. BL2015-1139

For all residential development in Davidson County, including new construction, renovation of existing developments, and the conversion of rental property to for-purchase, not less than fourteen percent of the units in such residential development shall be reserved and used for Affordable Housing and/or Workforce Housing.
View Quote

That is basically a 14% tax on new development and renovations, whether it is paid by allocating units in the development to low income or by paying an equivalent fee.

ORDINANCE NO. BL2015-1147

Section 4. In preparing the amendment to the Metropolitan Zoning Code, the Metropolitan Planning Department shall, at a minimum, consider the following:
1. The necessary percentage of units in all new residential development in Davidson County, including new construction, renovation of existing developments, and the conversion of rental property to for-purchase, that should be designated for Affordable Housing and/or Workforce Housing in order to achieve the intent and purpose set forth in Section 3 of this Ordinance.
2. Whether there should be a minimum project size that is required to provide Affordable Housing and/or Workforce Housing.
3. Whether any residentially-zoned land or proposed projects should be “grandfathered” in and not be required to provide Affordable Housing and/or Workforce Housing.
4. What should the income eligibility and target population for the Affordable Housing and/or Workforce Housing be?
5. Whether there should be a limit on the period of time that the units should remain Affordable Housing and/or Workforce Housing, and/or the conditions under which Workforce Housing units may be sold or re-sold, and who is entitled to the increased equity.
6. Whether developers should be offered cost offsets, for example, such as a density bonus or the waiver of certain fees to assist developers in recuperating the cost of providing the Affordable Housing and/or Workforce Housing.
7. Whether developers should be offered a “cash in lieu of building” option, with any such payments being deposited in the Barnes Fund for Affordable Housing, or any successor fund.
8. Whether there should be reduced Affordable Housing and/or Workforce Housing requirements for new high rise residential construction made primarily with steel and concrete.
9. Whether an option should be provided to build the affordable and/or workforce housing units within a different development, up to one mile from or up to three miles along the same transit corridor as the development that triggers the affordable and/or workforce housing requirement.
10. Any other technical or administrative details needed to provide affordable or workforce housing.
View Quote

This one would have the planning commission do a study to answer the above questions (and let the council then take action on the result)

But wait, there's more! This is where it goes beyond Davidson County.

RESOLUTION NO. RS2015-1496 - "A resolution requesting the Davidson County Delegation to the Tennessee General Assembly to introduce and support the necessary legislation to clearly authorize the Metropolitan Government to issue public obligation bonds for the purpose of providing funds for affordable housing."

In essence, Metro Council wants to borrow money to fund their affordable housing plan, but they lack the authority under Tennessee Code to issue bonds for such a purpose.

RESOLUTION NO. RS2015-1516 - "A resolution requesting the Davidson County Delegation to the Tennessee General Assembly to introduce and support an amendment to T.C.A. § 66-35-102 to allow the Metropolitan Government to enact inclusionary zoning legislation to ensure sufficient affordable rental housing units are available in Davidson County."

This would repeal the existing prohibition on rent control in Tennessee. In other words, if Metro gets what it wants all municipalities in TN would be free to get into the rent control game.

For those of you outside of Davidson County, please ask your general assembly delegation to oppose the efforts to repeal our rent control prohibition and to allow municipal governments to issue bonds for the purpose of borrowing money to spend on this.

For those of you inside Davidson County, if this passes property values will go up, taxes will go up, and new neighborhoods and/or renovations will be forced to either pay a high fee to opt out or to integrate public housing into each development. I'm sure that's going to go over well in the Gulch.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
And some people wonder why so many people try to do stuff without bothering with permits.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Affordable housing?  WTF is that?  

Here's an excerpt from the book Mig Pilot. I think more "dumb" Americans need to socialize with immigrants from communist countries and learn the evils of their thinking.  

On the road again, he stopped and talked casually with strangers in small Kentucky and Missouri towns; some revelations congealed in his thoughts. Many Americans would rather live in small towns or the country. Why? Because in many ways life is easier and better for them. They don't have to go to the city to buy food and clothes. The government doesn't allocate supplies first to some cities, second to others, third to the small towns, and fourth to the sticks.

And where are all the criminals? Where are the fences? Why, in Rubtsovsk or Omsk or Salsk, if you didn't have high fences around houses like the ones everyone lives in here, and dogs, too, the criminals would loot everything! The Americans, they complain about crime. They don't know what crime really is. Let someone strip the clothes and underwear off their wives or daughters at knifepoint in broad daylight on a street corner just so they can sell those clothes and underwear, and they will begin to understand crime.

In Kansas City, Belenko visited the farmers' market, the greatest, most dazzling assemblage of food and produce he had ever seen, and all so cheap. No residual doubts or reservations could withstand the sight. Before his eyes stretched the final, conclusive proof.

No, this system works. They can produce enough food for ten countries, for twenty countries if they want. If anybody goes hungry in this country, he's just stupid.

From the market he wandered into a seedy section of the inner city and there at last found it - something just like in the Soviet Union: a stinking, dark bar crowded with bleary-eyed, unshaved, unkempt drunks growing drunker on beer and cheap rye whiskey. Ah, he knew them well; he had seen them all his life. What he had seen in America usually seemed initially like a mirage; this was real, and he was quite at home.

Sipping a beer, he questioned the bartender. Where do these men work? How do they get off from their jobs in the day? How much do they earn? The bartender, after a fashion, explained the unemployment compensation, welfare, and food stamp programs.

What! You mean in this country you don't have to work even if there is a job for you! You mean the government pays you and gives you food so you can be a deadbeat and sit around and drink all day! Why, the Americans have done it! They have built True Communism! It's just like 1980!

Walking from the bar along a deserted street at dusk, Belenko recognized trouble ahead. Two thugs were eyeing him, wavering in their judgment as to whether they could take him. He knew them well, too. Rather than wait for them, he ran at them and belligerently demanded directions to his motel, which in their surprise they gave.

"How about giving us a quarter?" one said.

"My pockets are full of quarters. But not one quarter I have says deadbeat on it." They turned away, maybe sensing they were confronted by someone who hungered to hit them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
TnMike,

Is that from a book, and if so would you mind posting a link?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Should be something like this, but it probably means something like houses in the 1,200 to 1,800 square foot range, that will be sold/managed through something vaguely similar to section 8 housing.

Don't want it in your development?  Then pay a fine, and pass the cost of that fine on to the people that buy houses in your development.

Nashville government just keeps getting worse and worse.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
TnMike,

View Quote

Yes, it's from the book Mig Pilot. Great book and true story.  I've been hitting up Mckays every so often as I need a replacement for my copy that has gone missing.  

http://www.rulit.me/books/mig-pilot-the-final-escape-of-lt-belenko-read-233675-52.html
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, it's from the book Mig Pilot. Great book and true story.  I've been hitting up Mckays every so often as I need a replacement for my copy that has gone missing.  

http://www.rulit.me/books/mig-pilot-the-final-escape-of-lt-belenko-read-233675-52.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TnMike,

Is the entire book available on that site?

Is it available on Amazon?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TnMike,

Not sure about the 1st question, however Amazon does have used copies starting at less than $9.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Head's up - the public hearing for one of the bills and third reading for the other one is TOMORROW @ 6:30PM.

If you have an opinion you might want to show up at the Metro Council hearing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#9]
]For all residential development in Davidson County, including new construction, renovation of existing developments, and the conversion of rental property to for-purchase, not less than fourteen percent of the units in such residential development shall be reserved and used for Affordable Housing and/or Workforce Housing.
View Quote

So... am I reading that correctly?  Would that mean MANDATORY Section 8 housing, whether you want to have it or not?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So... am I reading that correctly?  Would that mean MANDATORY Section 8 housing, whether you want to have it or not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
]For all residential development in Davidson County, including new construction, renovation of existing developments, and the conversion of rental property to for-purchase, not less than fourteen percent of the units in such residential development shall be reserved and used for Affordable Housing and/or Workforce Housing.

Yes. That is exactly what it means.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Or pay a fee to "Opt Out" of the ordnance.  How quaint.  One more government sponsored strong-arm robbery in the name of "Fairness."
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Want to watch the Athens of the south burn? Turn on channel 3.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#13]
27 yay, 11 nay.

I guess I'm moving.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Rent based on one's income. As I understand it, under HUD, the rules are when one makes more than $X per year, they're not eligible for "public housing". Under the new "RAD" program, the income limit is raised or done away with altogether & it's based on income, whatever it may be.

Now, I could be full of shit or I could be right on the money, who knows?  

But if anyone has driven thru the John Henry Hale homes over near Fisk Univ, they'd be greatly surprised, IMO. There, tenants WORK, they keep things neat & there's no non-running cars sitting around. These folks are most likely in the $12-14/hr pay range & this allows them to have a home & not live 50 miles outside of their jobs in Nashville.

Cayce Homes were recently written about in the fishwrap Tennessean. They will be the first set of "projects" torn down & converted to "affordable housing". Current tenants will be given first chance to regain the new homes but under the new rules of RAD rather than HUD. IOW, no more multiple chances on late rent payments, loud parties, fighting, etc. Obviously this will result in many of the current tenants being told to leave as they demonstrate now they can't function "normally".  

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Or pay a fee to "Opt Out" of the ordnance.  How quaint.  One more government sponsored strong-arm robbery in the name of "Fairness."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the word the mob uses in that situation?  Extortion?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Playing Devil's Advocate here, what does one say to those whom don't make $50K a year? Say a young couple in their early 20's whom just got married, for example? Or an elderly couple whom the breadwinner perhaps had some health issues that sapped their life savings? What do you tell those folks whom wish to NOT live in the 'hood or in a trailer on Dickerson Road?

Not busting your balls here, I'm merely curious.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Playing Devil's Advocate here, what does one say to those whom don't make $50K a year? Say a young couple in their early 20's whom just got married, for example? Or an elderly couple whom the breadwinner perhaps had some health issues that sapped their life savings? What do you tell those folks whom wish to NOT live in the 'hood or in a trailer on Dickerson Road?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're poor.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Better take a look at this

Reality
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I absolutely see where you're coming from, and think the intentions are great.  Considering Im in your proposed income bracket, I would take every opportunity given to better my life.  I just take it with the caveat that, with time, the neighborhood will probably turn to crap so I make use of it as long as is feasible.  

The income divide, whether its manufactured or a through a series of reactions, is going to kill this country.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:10:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because you're forgetting that sometimes the "hood" you speak of follows the Section 8 housing. And that's why some landlords don't want to get into bed with that program.

The place my mother lived at was OK, not great but not a slum either.  Then the landlord started up with Section 8.  ... and then it started turning into a slum with drug trafficking, rude obnoxious kids, people who wouldn't clean up after themselves.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because you're forgetting that sometimes the "hood" you speak of follows the Section 8 housing. And that's why some landlords don't want to get into bed with that program.

The place my mother lived at was OK, not great but not a slum either.  Then the landlord started up with Section 8.  ... and then it started turning into a slum with drug trafficking, rude obnoxious kids, people who wouldn't clean up after themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I understand Bob correctly, the RAD program doesn't carry lax rules?

I'm guessing Metro Davidson has large tracts of blighted areas they want to pull down.  They intend to do this with HUD funding.  New HUD regs state that any recipient of HUD funding for housing, must do something similar to what is going on here.

You'll see the 14% inclusion zoning enforced on middle-income type developments, not million dollar home neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Williamson county here I come
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Williamson county here I come
View Quote

Too many white guilt suffering milfs.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Williamson County is a target of the left as well. it is the ultimate feather in their hat.

I'm staying. I'm in a condo development with an HOA controlled by the residents. Between myself and the 10% of people I knew when I moved here, we personally know over 50% of the vote. We work the community to keep our numbers up.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't think Chateau Undefined is in any danger.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#26]
What does it mean when it says renovation?

If you live in a large development, like the Icon building in the Gulch, this new legislation can't affect your building, right?  It's already made, parted out, and sold years ago.

This only affects new buildings and developments?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you live in a large development, like the Icon building in the Gulch, this new legislation can't affect your building, right?  It's already made, parted out, and sold years ago.

View Quote

Buy factory.

Renovate into apartments/condos.

You're now in scope.

-Or-

Own building with multiple units.

Remodel/renovate to keep current.

You're now in scope.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Buy factory.

You're now in scope.

-Or-

You're now in scope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy factory.

You're now in scope.

-Or-

You're now in scope.

A friend of mine just bought a condo at the Encore and he's going to be thrilled with the nickel and diming that goes on in Metro. I guess I've very little to bitch about here in Clarksville...for now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A friend of mine just bought a condo at the Encore and he's going to be thrilled with the nickel and diming that goes on in Metro. I guess I've very little to bitch about here in Clarksville...for now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy factory.

You're now in scope.

-Or-

You're now in scope.

I looked there. That's INSANE. I bought 2 miles down the road and saved $140,000.

They are nice though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy factory.

You're now in scope.

-Or-

You're now in scope.

Does he realize that they are building large buildings on both sides of the Encore, and both are supposed to be taller?

I heard prices won't be affected much, but the views are going to get killed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I looked there. That's INSANE. I bought 2 miles down the road and saved $140,000.

They are nice though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy factory.

You're now in scope.

-Or-

You're now in scope.

They are nice though.

I agree. I never asked what he paid but I have a rough idea. I told him he should have just bought his dads over in the West End. No view but I'm sure he could get it cheap.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Does he realize that they are building large buildings on both sides of the Encore, and both are supposed to be taller?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy factory.

You're now in scope.

-Or-

You're now in scope.

Not sure if he does or not. I know he looked at the Icon but was not happy with a few things.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Not sure if he does or not. I know he looked at the Icon but was not happy with a few things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy factory.

You're now in scope.

-Or-

You're now in scope.

Not many people opt for the Encore over Icon unless it's solely about location.  Ya either love the Gulch or can't deal.  It seems very insulated.

The Viridian is currently renovating all common areas.   Prices seem to be up there.

The 505 Building planned for Church St may be upwards of 45 stories with 500 units, much of them rented apartments and not condos.  I hope 14% of them aren't poor people.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Is it all of Nashville's Liberal Yuppies that are bringing it down?

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Liberal yuppies aren't helping, but I think the primary issue is urban poor who keep getting promised crap.

Good thing I'm not elected.  I'd bulldoze the shitty neighborhoods and projects.

At 3am.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Liberal yuppies aren't helping, but I think the primary issue is urban poor who keep getting promised crap.

Good thing I'm not elected.  I'd bulldoze the shitty neighborhoods and projects.

At 3am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At 3am.

The problem is people like Fabian Bedne, Jerry Maynard, and Megan Barry.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The old mayor of Clarksville and some of his buddies tried that, got sued over it and lost.  Apparently, you cant legally buy section 8 housing, receive the proper permits, tear it down and rebuild the neighborhood for  middle class buyers.  You can however go into a middleclass neighborhood strong arm the owners into selling at your price so you can put in a business or park etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top