Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 10:07:50 PM EDT
A friend just told me, at least around here in E. TN.,  that the traffic cams are finally coming down by the end of year.      "Unconstitutional"    

Can anyone confirm?  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume you mean like the "red light" enforcement cameras, and not traffic cams in general, of which there are hundreds across the state by TN DOT alone.

There was a bill this session to prevent municipalities from entering into any new contracts with enforcement camera companies, but it died.

Haven't heard of any judicial rulings against them though. Still about 20 here in Knoxville AFAIK.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:02:54 AM EDT
[#2]
my friend was referring to all "enforcement " cams,   at traffic lights and speed cams.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn I hope so!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of the ones in West Knoxville  have been gutted. Not taken down yet. Have seen the Traffic Solutions trucks taking the innards out of the cams at the Cedar Bluff and I-40 intersection ones.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#5]
They are putting up more around here. And speed cameras are going up next month.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw an article, a while back, that reported some towns/cities aren't getting the income they were expecting from them.

Doesn't take long for people to figure out where they are, and some GPS units alert you when you are approaching one, so it's not hard to see why the ticket revenue from the cameras would drop off.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
It's hard to know the latest word,  but I just found an article discussing the bill.   Looks like the Rs caved on outright ban.  This report states yellow lights will change from 3 to 6 seconds,  if already in intersection, no citation,  there will be a 15 mph margin with speed cams.  

I have no idea what the final outcome will be.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are putting up more around here. And speed cameras are going up next month.
View Quote

what part of TN are you in?    Maybe it will be a local choice on cam  policy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hasn't it always been a local initiative only? Meaning, TN DOT has lots of cams, but they aren't used for enforcement by THP or whoever?

- OS
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The far southwest corner.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hasn't it always been a local initiative only? Meaning, TN DOT has lots of cams, but they aren't used for enforcement by THP or whoever?

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

I don't know but you're probably right.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh brother.   No telling what those pols will do next  down there.   I finally got out of there.  
Where I am now in east TN:    a friend texted me a pic today of a big house next door to the court house and the police station.   It had a large Confederate Battle Flag flying.   I feel right at home here.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh brother.   No telling what those pols will do next  down there.   I finally got out of there.  
Where I am now in east TN:    a friend texted me a pic today of a big house next door to the court house and the police station.   It had a large Confederate Battle Flag flying.   I feel right at home here.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, where the politicians see a revenue stream they will go for it. Even if it's only in theory.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shut your mouth.  You're in Memphis right?  Where are these speed cameras going up?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Shut your mouth.  You're in Memphis right?  Where are these speed cameras going up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read a news article last week that Germantown is having a bunch of new cameras installed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't wait the uproar from the suburbanites.  

I'd live in fear of a speed camera on 40/240 though.  Especially the areas where it drops down to 45 for miles before and after construction.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea where they will go, and I'm not sure if they'll be semi-mobile like the ones Millington has. I can't imagine they'd put them on fury road,AKA I-240.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I really hope that we end up seeing a bunch of stories like this one if they come here.  Burn baby burn.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I really hope that we end up seeing a bunch of stories like this one if they come here.  Burn baby burn.
View Quote

There is a British web site dedicated to pictures of burned out speed and red light cameras. Seems they don't think much of them over there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Saw an article, a while back, that reported some towns/cities aren't getting the income they were expecting from them.

Doesn't take long for people to figure out where they are, and some GPS units alert you when you are approaching one, so it's not hard to see why the ticket revenue from the cameras would drop off.
View Quote

waze

of course part of the issue is also that many places illegally cut the yellow light times to get extra revenue.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

waze

of course part of the issue is also that many places illegally cut the yellow light times to get extra revenue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

waze

Murfreesboro is bad about this!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn.  I guess people will go back to shooting stop signs.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

waze

Yep.  Shortest yellow I ever saw, and their ticket said I entered the intersection about a quarter second after the light changed.  I had been waiting in the turn lane when the light turned green (green arrow for the turn lane).
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No idea where they will go, and I'm not sure if they'll be semi-mobile like the ones Millington has. I can't imagine they'd put them on fury road,AKA I-240.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also saw this news piece.  Myron Lowry wants more in the city.
I think the CA and channel 5 put a list out of where Memphis wanted new ones installed.

Germantown hasn't put out a list I know of.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep.  Shortest yellow I ever saw, and their ticket said I entered the intersection about a quarter second after the light changed.  I had been waiting in the turn lane when the light turned green (green arrow for the turn lane).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

waze

Something like that is well worth fighting in court. IIRC the minimum time for a yellow light is 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Something like that is well worth fighting in court. IIRC the minimum time for a yellow light is 3 seconds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

waze

If court had been an option, I would definitely have gone to traffic court, but there was no option for contesting it in court.  They offered the option of trying to convince them (without going to court) that I wasn't the one driving my pickup that day, but they made it clear that I would have to provide enough information for them to ticket the other person.  The only other option was to refuse to pay the ticket, which would result in the ticket being turned over to a collection agency.  

They cannot go after your license (it doesn't go on your driving record), so they extort the fine by threatening your credit rating.

The way they do it (extortion, and no chance of contesting it in traffic court) is pure bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I've never heard of not having an option for going to court. I would have called the court house and demanded a court date.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've never heard of not having an option for going to court. I would have called the court house and demanded a court date.
View Quote

Yeah, I got one several years ago here in Knoxville, and court was an option.

However, they included link to vid, and sure enough, I hadn't come to full stop before turning right on red (wasn't even close).

- OS
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wasn't an option, according to the letter that came with their ticket.  The appeal process (to prove that somebody else was driving my pickup) didn't even involve a judge.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wasn't an option, according to the letter that came with their ticket.  The appeal process (to prove that somebody else was driving my pickup) didn't even involve a judge.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That whole deal kinda sounds unconstitutional to me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think? What happened to facing your accuser? A guy working for a private company looking at a picture that some remote camera took without any context. Oh yeah, while he is extorting money from you. Sounds legit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You think? What happened to facing your accuser? A guy working for a private company looking at a picture that some remote camera took without any context. Oh yeah, while he is extorting money from you. Sounds legit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost makes a guy wanna drive out there just to get a ticket.  Normally they make the ticket like $50 so it's just not worth your time to fight it even if you're innocent.  We need a news crew to rip the lid off of it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Normally they make the ticket like $50 so it's just not worth your time to fight it even if you're innocent.
View Quote

$50 to make them go away and leave you alone.  If you chose not to pay the $50, they turn it over to a collection agency, and add the collection agency's fee on top of the $50 (I think that puts the total over $200).  Then your credit report takes a hit for the collection agency being after you.

But your license and driving record are safe.  I think that is probably how they justify (though I don't think it's justified) not giving you an option to fight it in court.

ETA:  WSMV has already been doing some investigative reporting on law enforcement shenanigans (not putting contracts through the bid process) in Murfreesboro.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#34]
What would be the difference between this, and some random dude with a radar gun and a good camera standing on the corner?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What would be the difference between this, and some random dude with a radar gun and a good camera standing on the corner?
View Quote

Only difference is that they own and maintain the streets that they put the cameras on.

Now if Walmart put up cameras and started sending bills to customers that didn't comply with the lines and stop signs in the Walmart parking lot...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#36]
They don't own the streets. We pay for the streets and pay the salaries of those that think they own the streets.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They don't own the streets. We pay for the streets and pay the salaries of those that think they own the streets.
View Quote

And the people elected them to make decisions for them. Sometimes those decisions are not what we'd like.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If court had been an option, I would definitely have gone to traffic court, but there was no option for contesting it in court.  They offered the option of trying to convince them (without going to court) that I wasn't the one driving my pickup that day, but they made it clear that I would have to provide enough information for them to ticket the other person.  The only other option was to refuse to pay the ticket, which would result in the ticket being turned over to a collection agency.  

They cannot go after your license (it doesn't go on your driving record), so they extort the fine by threatening your credit rating.

The way they do it (extortion, and no chance of contesting it in traffic court) is pure bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So you cannot actually face your accuser.  All you can get is a sentence so to speak.

Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So you cannot actually face your accuser.  All you can get is a sentence so to speak.

Exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

According to the letter that came with the ticket, the only way I could get out of the ticket, was to present them (not the court, but the people who sent me the ticket) with sufficient evidence to allow them to transfer the ticket to some other person.  There was absolutely no option for getting the ticket dismissed.  I had to pay it, or I had to get somebody else to admit that they had been the person driving.

How am I supposed to face my accuser, when my accuser is an electronic box on the side of the road?  

According to WSMV, their jail signed a contract to allow a company to put tablet computers in the jail and charge the prisoners for the time that they used the tablets.  This allowed relatives to send messages to the prisoners, but the relatives were charged for each message.  The jail got a percentage of the profit.  The contract did not go through the bid process.

Seems to be a lack of ethics, when electronics can make them money, in Murfreesboro.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And the people elected them to make decisions for them. Sometimes those decisions are not what we'd like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and they get drunk with power and their pockets filled from these deals. In a bigger picture, we didn't ask for obamacare, but we got it shoved down our throats.

None of us asked them to hire private companies to act as cop, judge and jury.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#41]
In this case I may have just said blow me I'm not paying you. Go ahead and ding my credit score, I'll contest it, contact me again and my attorney will be handling this issue.  A bunch of folks with masks on and cardboard over their plates purposely running red lights several times would probably chap their asses too
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

and they get drunk with power and their pockets filled from these deals. In a bigger picture, we didn't ask for obamacare, but we got it shoved down our throats.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I'm not arguing with you. I think these things are there for one reason, revenue.

I can actually see how they could be used to add some degree of safety, get people to pay attention and slow down. Here they were originally placed at the intersections that had the highest rate of accidents. Places where the cops had calls the same time every day. But that's not what is happening. It's just another revenue stream by the cities.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

According to the letter that came with the ticket, the only way I could get out of the ticket, was to present them (not the court, but the people who sent me the ticket) with sufficient evidence to allow them to transfer the ticket to some other person.  There was absolutely no option for getting the ticket dismissed.  I had to pay it, or I had to get somebody else to admit that they had been the person driving.

How am I supposed to face my accuser, when my accuser is an electronic box on the side of the road?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

That's a weird way to do it, and from what I've read isn't going to fly much longer.

I believe here they still keep a local LEO in the loop. They have to actually see each photo and approve it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

According to WSMV, their jail signed a contract to allow a company to put tablet computers in the jail and charge the prisoners for the time that they used the tablets.  This allowed relatives to send messages to the prisoners, but the relatives were charged for each message.  The jail got a percentage of the profit.  The contract did not go through the bid process.

Seems to be a lack of ethics, when electronics can make them money, in Murfreesboro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is why many of us consider the camera tickets to be unconstitutional.  You cannot face your accuser in court, which flies in the face of the 6th Amendment.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

And again, many cameras are set illegally in the first place - meaning they cut the yellow time down to below legal standards in order to create an offense when none would have occurred had the cameras been set properly.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Well this is interesting. We were just at the Whitfield intersection in Clarksville.

My partner saw the camera flash at a car driving through the yellow light.  Looks like they want the money so badly some are programmed to nail people who aren't even breaking the law.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I saw someone get flashed there too a couple weeks ago. My wife and I both noticed it and were surprised to see it. Been a long time since I've seen anyone get flashed there.

I got flashed there once a couple years ago. As I belatedly realized I would not make the yellow and since it is a 55mph road I practically skidded to a stop just barely over the line when it turned red. Never got a ticket from it though.

I think they took the cameras down by gate 3 on FT Campbell Blvd though. I used to see people get flashed there almost every time I was at that intersection.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I saw someone get flashed there too a couple weeks ago. My wife and I both noticed it and were surprised to see it. Been a long time since I've seen anyone get flashed there.

I got flashed there once a couple years ago. As I belatedly realized I would not make the yellow and since it is a 55mph road I practically skidded to a stop just barely over the line when it turned red. Never got a ticket from it though.

I think they took the cameras down by gate 3 on FT Campbell Blvd though. I used to see people get flashed there almost every time I was at that intersection.
View Quote

I seldom use Gate 3 now but I think it's still there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#48]
FYI different towns have different statutes on how the red light camera tickets are enforced.  Some of them have no ability to force you to pay other than referring the fine to collections.

Except TN state law explicitly prohibits unpaid red light camera tickets from being reported to the credit bureaus, so the collections is meaningless.  I have been ignoring some tickets for almost 2 years with no repercussions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
FYI different towns have different statutes on how the red light camera tickets are enforced.  Some of them have no ability to force you to pay other than referring the fine to collections.

Except TN state law explicitly prohibits unpaid red light camera tickets from being reported to the credit bureaus, so the collections is meaningless.  I have been ignoring some tickets for almost 2 years with no repercussions.
View Quote

Once it goes to collections wouldn't there be a burden of proof that the debt was real under the FCRA?

If everyone pulled the FCRA reply letter on them the time and expense would be big.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Once it goes to collections wouldn't there be a burden of proof that the debt was real under the FCRA?

If everyone pulled the FCRA reply letter on them the time and expense would be big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why bother?  It doesn't affect your score.  If it shows up on your report, you can sue the collection agency for reporting it.

P.S.  lol, the CRAs don't give a fuck about properly validating a debt.  In practice, the burden of proof is on YOU to show the debt is not yours.  I don't want to detail the thread but I know from experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top