Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 7:25:50 PM EDT
Going to be stuck in Gatlinburg in the end of August and bored out of my mind, any places worth trout fishing around there?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
There in Gatlinburg is a start.

Do you fly fish? Or just a spinning reel fisherman?

I fish all over the National Park. I go pretty much every weekend.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I could borrow some fly rods, but I'd be taking light spinning tackle.

The thing I'm not used to is the single hook deal, what works well there?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Gatlinburg is stocked regularly, the Park is not.

Native trout in the Park, mostly rainbows, a few Browns in the lower elevations and Brookies in the upper elevations.

The regs in Gatlinburg are very different than the Park. Most in Gatlinburg use spinning rods, you see a few in the Park, but mostly fly rods. Fly rods with 5 weight lines or less are the most popular.

I haven't fished in Gatlinburg, so I don't know all the regs. No bait allowed in the Park, artificial lures only.

The problem you will find in August is low and warm water. The lower elevations will be the most affected and Gatlinburg is outside of and lower than the Park.

ETA:

Check this site out, fly fishing only, but worth the read

http://www.flyfishingsmokymountains.com

Just remember, August is not a very good month to trout fish. It can be done, but the better places are up higher in the Park where the water is colder and Gatlinburg isn't it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have caught plenty of trout downtown on a roostertail. If you don't mind getting wet you can find some fish, just stay away from the crowds. We usually find the park boundary start there and fish down into Gatlinburg.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have caught plenty of trout downtown on a roostertail. If you don't mind getting wet you can find some fish, just stay away from the crowds. We usually find the park boundary start there and fish down into Gatlinburg.

View Quote

Just be sure to keep the rooster tails out of the park if you go that route.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if they have treble hooks. Single hook rooster tail is legal in the Park.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread is relevant to my interests. I grew up in Idaho, fly fishing all around the Snake and surrounding areas with my dad. I moved to AZ in 2002, and haven't done a lick of fishing since I moved here.

Moving to Chattanooga next month, I was hoping there was some kind of Fly Fishing reasonably close, looks like there may be.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests. I grew up in Idaho, fly fishing all around the Snake and surrounding areas with my dad. I moved to AZ in 2002, and haven't done a lick of fishing since I moved here.

Moving to Chattanooga next month, I was hoping there was some kind of Fly Fishing reasonably close, looks like there may be.
View Quote

There is all kinds of fly fishing close to Chattanooga. North GA, east TN, western NC and some even in the upstate of SC.

Start here:

http://www.perfectflystore.com/waters.html

And here:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/index.htm

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies all, I'm taking a spinning and fly rod.   Going to run single hook roosters and toss some flys.  Taking a 6'6" medium fast with a 2500 size high speed reel.  Any thoughts on line size for either?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies all, I'm taking a spinning and fly rod.   Going to run single hook roosters and toss some flys.  Taking a 6'6" medium fast with a 2500 size high speed reel.  Any thoughts on line size for either?
View Quote

On the fly rod, what weight line is it set up for? Sounds like 2-4 weight at that length, but just a guess. For your tippet, go with 6X if fishing with a dry fly.

As for the spinning rod, go as light as possible on the line, trout have good eyes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:40:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

On the fly rod, what weight line is it set up for? Sounds like 2-4 weight at that length, but just a guess. For your tippet, go with 6X if fishing with a dry fly.

As for the spinning rod, go as light as possible on the line, trout have good eyes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fly rod is foreign to me, just borrowed it, it's set up with WF5.    I was thinking 6 lbs on the spinning?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The fly rod is foreign to me, just borrowed it, it's set up with WF5.    I was thinking 6 lbs on the spinning?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 weight will work. I wouldn't go any heavier than 6 lb. test.

Stealth will be the key especially in the Park. Low water, which is the norm in August, will make the fish much more spooky as they are true wild trout. The Park does not stock. Wear dark, muted clothing, even camo is fine too. There is a definite difference in the two places to fish. Also, in the Park, go higher up where the water is cooler. So far, the temp in Townsend has hit right at 80 in the water, not good.

Who knows what the weather and water temps will be, but usually it's not good in August. And watch out for high water if thunderstorms are in the area. It might be sunny where you are, but could rain higher up and you will see a wall of water heading towards you. Pay attention to which side of the river you're on and know where the trails are in case you get caught in the wrong side.

As you can see, the Park can be tricky. I have been fishing it for 30+ years and still pay close attention to the weather, bears, etc.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Stealth will be the key especially in the Park. Low water, which is the norm in August, will make the fish much more spooky as they are true wild trout. The Park does not stock. Wear dark, muted clothing, even camo is fine too. There is a definite difference in the two places to fish. Also, in the Park, go higher up where the water is cooler. So far, the temp in Townsend has hit right at 80 in the water, not good.

Who knows what the weather and water temps will be, but usually it's not good in August. And watch out for high water if thunderstorms are in the area. It might be sunny where you are, but could rain higher up and you will see a wall of water heading towards you. Pay attention to which side of the river you're on and know where the trails are in case you get caught in the wrong side.

As you can see, the Park can be tricky. I have been fishing it for 30+ years and still pay close attention to the weather, bears, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you carry in the park?  Open or concealed, TN accepts my permit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can both, however, if you do shoot a bear damn well make it a good shoot, seriously. Bears get poached quite a bit up there. Also, if fishing, make sure it's waterproof. Best bet is to keep alert and keep your distance.

Personally, I have seen more snakes than anything.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is some added advice about fishing in the park based on my experiences from just this past weekend.

Pay attention to where you are, where you're walking, etc.

Just ran across my first rattlesnake in the park on Saturday. I have been in the park fishing, hiking, etc. for more than 40 years and have never run across a venomous snake ever, until Saturday.

Also, when fishing the streams, in addition to snakes, watch out for hornet nests. I have seen them before, but had a rather large on hanging directly over the stream about 10' above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top