Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2015 4:46:21 PM EDT
I'll spare you the why but the family and I are road-tripping to Memphis specifically to eat at Gus's.  I see there are a few locations but I know nothing about Memphis.  Are there any I should avoid based on neighborhood?  I was thinking about either the one directly downtown on S. Front St. or the one in Collierville.

Also, how's West Memphis in Arkansas?  We thought we might hop over the river just for fun.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Try this one.
Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken Bartlett
2965 N Germantown Pkwy
Bartlett, TN 38133
But I feel that this is a much better place to go.
Uncle Lou's Fried Chicken
3633 Millbranch Rd
Memphis, TN 38116
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not go to the one in Collierville.  My family loves Gus's but the food out at that one seems sub-par to the rest for some reason.

My favorite is the one on Mendehall across from Gibson's.

ETA: If you stop at Gibson's try one of their New Orleans donuts with the chiffon cake dough.  They're the only place I've ever seen one like that.  Also, there is major road construction in West Memphis so be sure the check traffic conditions before you cross the river.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to the original one in Mason Tn. Exit 35 off I40. Small town and safe. Not far from Memphis.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#6]
AND if you are in Mason you can also grab a "Pig" at Bozo's World Famous BBQ.  Inside there are a lot of framed pictures on the walls showing the evolution of the establishment including a picture when a Mexican ran his car into the front entrance back in the 40s-50s.  Also a scene from the Johnny Cash movie "Walk The Line" was filmed inside Bozos and you can sit on the exact soda shop stools where Joaquin and Reese sat.

I suggest the "Jumbo" pig ( pulled mixed with coleslaw).

LB
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not go to the one in Collierville.  My family loves Gus's but the food out at that one seems sub-par to the rest for some reason.

ETA: If you stop at Gibson's try one of their New Orleans donuts with the chiffon cake dough.  They're the only place I've ever seen one like that.  Also, there is major road construction in West Memphis so be sure the check traffic conditions before you cross the river.
View Quote

This man knows what he speaks of.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like their bacon donuts.

We eat at that Gus's, usually lunch Fridays.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Front St is the oldest Memphis shop, so there's that. There's also one in East Memphis, and it is a stone's throw from Gibson's Donuts, which Alton Brown has declared THE best donut around. And I agree.

I would second icepirate's recommendation for Uncle Lou's but the neighborhood is... sketchy...

The chicken is superior, IMO, and the burgers are the freaking heat.
View Quote

We love Uncle Lou's at work, but "sketchy" is right.

We call going there a "Thunder Run".

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I will check, since we normally go to Hooters on Thursday at work...but how about a

*** THUNDER RUN THURSDAY ***?

This Thursday at Uncle Lou's, say about 11:30 - 12:30ish?

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a possibility. Any other crew want to go?
View Quote

I couldn't make it happen.  The lure of wings and breasts was just too strong.

Plus, some forgot to bring their body armor.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Gus's in Southaven is pretty good and in a good location. You can go to Memphis BBQ also
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, we made it!  Good stuff.  

And these could be my new favorite BBQ chip.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#18]
10/10

Great good pics
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

this.

I trust everything was awesome?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10/10

Great good pics

this.

Why would you ask that? You know it was good
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
10/10

Great good pics

this.

It was great.  One of the reasons we went is my youngest is named Gus and they made a big deal over it being "his" restaurant and that we'd driven all the way from Ohio just for some of their chicken - but there were several states' license plates in the parking lot so it wasn't like we were unique in being from out of town - must have been that the chicken was the reason we'd made the trip.  Anyway, the whole trip was great.  Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi in six days. Lots of good food, cool sights, and good people as usual.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Two piece white, slaw and fries?

I usually get greens or beans.

They have good tea, so you don't have to stoop to PBR.

FYI

That liquor store there to the left does NOT carry Golden Grain.

Which frankly sucks.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top