Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2015 10:03:16 AM EDT
Haslam signed.
Now have lifetime carry permits.
$500

Automatic ncic check every 5 years

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/tennessee-gov-bill-haslam-approves-lifetime-gun-permits

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
$50 X 40 (years) = 2000

2000 / 4 (permit every 4 years) = 500

So basically unless you need 40 years of permit - it will be cheaper to renew every 4 years.

It's a good deal for youngens. Not so much for old timers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I'm not sure what their goal was here, unless they plan to reduce it later.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$50 X 40 (years) = 2000

So basically unless you need 40 years of permit - it will be cheaper to renew every 4 years.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
$50 X 40 (years) = 2000

First line is wrong, though somehow second is correct.

A permit costs 12.50/year to maintain, so 40 years is $500, same as lifetime price.

If you take the lifetime option when you first get your permit, you could save a little bit over the 40 years due to the higher rate of the initial fee period, which now varies in duration. And is totally fubared now that they've changed the DL to 8 year cycle, while still in the process of tweaking the HCP to fit the 5 year one. Idiots.

Quoted:It's a good deal for youngens. Not so much for old timers.

Yeah, that's the uptake.  (Assuming one doesn't lose the permit, or die, or we get constitutional carry and you don't travel to other states).

On the other hand, what fee or tax doesn't increase over time? Maybe they'll double it, who knows?

- OS

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
One benefit could be avoiding any future price increases.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

and the hassle of renewing it every time.

If you have a carry permit do you still have to get a background check when you purchase a firearm?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you have a carry permit do you still have to get a background check when you purchase a firearm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In TN you do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Wonder how much it will cost to get a change of address when you move with you "lifetime" permit? 40 plus years at one address? I'don't think I've lived at the same address for more than 6 years so far.

Sure would be nice if it got you out of the background check every time you buy a gun though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wonder how much it will cost to get a change of address when you move with you "lifetime" permit? 40 plus years at one address? I'don't think I've lived at the same address for more than 6 years so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, right now, it doesn't cost anything, you just notify them. If you want a new permit with new address showing before your next renewal, it's five bucks, considered a duplicate permit. Since the new statute doesn't address the issue, guess it will stay the same. Your choice whether to just notify or also get an updated permit.

Quoted:Sure would be nice if it got you out of the background check every time you buy a gun though.

As I understand it, TN would have to start doing yearly background checks to allow that under the federal rules should it want to enact it.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm a tard and let mine lapse a year or two ago. Now I gotta go through the hassle again. If it was an option years ago I probably would've put up the $500 to not have to worry about it again.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A permit costs 12.50/year to maintain, so 40 years is $500, same as lifetime price.

If you take the lifetime option when you first get your permit, you could save a little bit over the 40 years due to the higher rate of the initial fee period, which now varies in duration. And is totally fubared now that they've changed the DL to 8 year cycle, while still in the process of tweaking the HCP to fit the 5 year one. Idiots.

Yeah, that's the uptake.  (Assuming one doesn't lose the permit, or die, or we get constitutional carry and you don't travel to other states).

On the other hand, what fee or tax doesn't increase over time? Maybe they'll double it, who knows?

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$50 X 40 (years) = 2000

Quoted:It's a good deal for youngens. Not so much for old timers.

- OS

I wasn't wrong. I multiplied - then divided.

You divided then multiplied. Lol.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
$50 X 40 (years) = 2000

View Quote

Carry permits renewed every 4 years, so 40 years divided by 4 = 10

$50 x 10 renewals = $500 (not factoring in inflation)

If you're a young person in your 20's or 30's this would probably be a good option.  If you're in your 50's like me, there's not much benefit if any.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
$50 X 40 (years) = 2000

View Quote

Yep.  It's another money grab, the budget's tight this year.  Grab 40 years of expected revenue in one fell swoop.  Still don't know for sure if the repeat background checks are rolled into the initial fee or if you'll be paying for those to maintain the permit.

At least (so far anyway) they aren't talking about jacking up the professional privilege tax again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I might do it. I haven't decided if I will take care of myself well enough to justify it yet. It would be nice to not have to worry about it again though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top