Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2015 9:51:04 PM EDT

A controversial new gun bill is making its way through the Tennessee legislature. The bill would allow people with gun carry permits to bring their weapons to parks, playgrounds, and sports fields.

As it stands now, many local municipalities already have ordinances on the books that ban guns in local parks. But if the new law goes through, it would strip that power away from local government.

When driving into Camp Jordan in East Ridge, you can't miss the sign: 'Guns not allowed in park.' Tennessee lawmakers want signs like the ones in East Ridge taken down, so the state's 500,000 handgun carry permit holders know guns are welcome.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/28672943/controversial-guns-in-parks-bill-advances-in-tn-legislature

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Surprised Harwell let this one come to a vote, IMO. Haslam certainly WON'T sign it & will most likely veto it.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

As it stands now, many local municipalities already have ordinances on the books that ban guns in local parks. But if the new law goes through, it would strip that power away from local government.

View Quote

No, story is wrong in that regard -- that power was stripped last year, including previously grandfathered ordinances. Can only prohibit carry by adhering to state law 39-17-1311.

Assuming Senate passes same without a reconciliation with any differences between the House version, my guess is that Bill will simply not sign it. Same as he did for the law mentioned above last year. He's already a C rating with NRA, not sure he wants to sink any lower with his upcoming national aspirations.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I was going to post something about it, then realized it hadn't hit haslam's desk yet.  As much as I think it's common-f'ing-sense to allow (funny, we're at the point of "allowing" rights now) carry in actual dangerous places like parks, I just don't expect haslam (R) to pass is.  

When people talk about democrats and republicans being the same, he's excellent as a reference.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, story is wrong in that regard -- that power was stripped last year, including previously grandfathered ordinances. Can only prohibit carry by adhering to state law 39-17-1311.

Assuming Senate passes same without a reconciliation with any differences between the House version, my guess is that Bill will simply not sign it. Same as he did for the law mentioned above last year. He's already a C rating with NRA, not sure he wants to sink any lower with his upcoming national aspirations.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Which law stripped local authority. I was unaware of this. I just read 39-17-1311, it seem to give locals the ability to post parks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Which law stripped local authority. I was unaware of this. I just read 39-17-1311, it seem to give locals the ability to post parks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- OS

Yep, as of now local parks can prohibit. The bill last year was killed in committee.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got approved by the senate

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/01/senate-approves-guns-in-parks-bill/70768518/

But look at this little sly perk they put in....

But the measures comes with an additional tweak that could kill the bill: if approved, people with gun permits would be allowed to take guns into the state capitol.

The change to allow guns at the capitol makes the bill different than the House bill, which means the House would have to approve of the amendment. If it does not, the measure would have to go to conference committee.

Haslam has said he opposes the bill. If the guns-in-statehouse component makes it to his desk, it could make it more likely he'll veto the plan. Without that amendment though it's unlikely he'll veto the bill though; the House would more than likely vote to override any veto.
View Quote

Some democrat asked for that amendment, and the repubs decided to go 28-0 in favor of it.  I'm trying to think of why, if they just fell for that dude's hand, or did they say "sure, why not? 2A all the way" and did he fall into their trap?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/01/senate-approves-guns-in-parks-bill/70768518/

Some democrat asked for that amendment, and the repubs decided to go 28-0 in favor of it.  I'm trying to think of why, if they just fell for that dude's hand, or did they say "sure, why not? 2A all the way" and did he fall into their trap?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But the measures comes with an additional tweak that could kill the bill: if approved, people with gun permits would be allowed to take guns into the state capitol.

The change to allow guns at the capitol makes the bill different than the House bill, which means the House would have to approve of the amendment. If it does not, the measure would have to go to conference committee.

Haslam has said he opposes the bill. If the guns-in-statehouse component makes it to his desk, it could make it more likely he'll veto the plan. Without that amendment though it's unlikely he'll veto the bill though; the House would more than likely vote to override any veto.

It was supposed to be a poison pill. It would make Republicans look bad if they voted no to guns in their workplace but forced local parks to allow it. Stevens withdrew his tabling motion to allow debate on it, and it came up to a vote unexpectedly. If there was a vote to table the amendment I'm sure it would have been dropped. The Republicans voted for the bill anyway. Though, if the House votes no because of this amendment, it served its purpose and makes the Republicans (look like) hypocrites.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

They can only prohibit carry under that state law, not by local ordinance as the story says. The almost total state preemption amended TCA 39-17-1314 last year.

Quite significant in some ways, like here in Knoxville, which has banned carry in parks due to local grandfathered ordinance, but did not have to post. The change removed that, and they would have had to do resolution by City Council, and post the parks according to 39-17-1311. Which they did not, so we have been able to legally carry in the parks here since that time. Knoxville just sort of kept mum on the whole thing, being apparently satisfied to let sleeping dogs lie and hope most folks assumed it was still unlawful to carry I guess.

Any other place in TN which bans carry by local ordinance only is in same situation. Cannot rely on pre-1986 grandfathered ones, or any newer ones either. You'll notice the posting requirements under 1311 are quite stringent, mandating locations and unlike 1359 even mandating minimum size and exact wording, and simple gunbuster does not suffice.

- OS

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Anti-gun RINO's everywhere in TN!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postpolitics/2015/4/2/house_gop_press_conference_heated_over_guns_in_parks

Our representatives are retarded. (Any in present company excepted)
View Quote

The reporter claimed that Embody has a permit, and is carrying an AR-15 rifle under that permit.

Why didn't they call the reporter on his bullshit?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The reporter claimed that Embody has a permit, and is carrying an AR-15 rifle under that permit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postpolitics/2015/4/2/house_gop_press_conference_heated_over_guns_in_parks

Our representatives are retarded. (Any in present company excepted)

There's lots of fail from both sides of the conversations there.

Casada thought "concealed" was a factor, then claims he knew it wasn't and the Federal 1,000 ft. law most definitely exempts permit holders in their own state, etc.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/06/haslam-says-he-favors-stripping-guns-at-capitol-provision/25370519/

Gov. Bill Haslam says he favors House lawmakers stripping a provision inserted into a guns-in-parks proposal that would allow handgun carry permit holders to be armed on the grounds of the state Capitol.

The Republican governor told reporters Monday that the Capitol's safety and security officials have major concerns about the provision
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
The House voted to nonconcur, so it goes back to the Senate to see if they'll drop the amendment. If not, it goes to a conference committee (or dies if those who reign get their way).
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
It's now law

http://www.wbir.com/story/insession/2015/04/24/haslam-decision-on-guns-and-parks-bill-could-come-friday/26297265/

The governor signed the controversial guns-in-parks bill Friday morning.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Bad thing is Haslam said on Channel 5 that he was going to ask the legislature to 'revisit it next year though.  Politician speak for I want this bill OVERTURNED!'
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bad thing is Haslam said on Channel 5 that he was going to ask the legislature to 'revisit it next year though.  Politician speak for I want this bill OVERTURNED!'
View Quote

I laughed at people saying "good on him!" but he was totally spineless about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Does it take effect immediately?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does it take effect immediately?
View Quote

Maybe "immediately". Some say it has to be codified on internal system there to show "became Public Chapter", some say as soon as signed.

(it does not show Public Chapter number yet).

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0995

- OS
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I laughed at people saying "good on him!" but he was totally spineless about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Frankly, I'm amazed that he did sign it, but I'm not going to bash him over it. He was simply under too much pressure from our side to do otherwise.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Reading the comments from the sheeple on news sights and FB on this is making my head hurt and my BP go up. Stupid myopic sons of bitches.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Reading the comments from the sheeple on news sights and FB on this is making my head hurt and my BP go up. Stupid myopic sons of bitches.
View Quote

Yeah it's even trending on Bing's homepage right now..  All the national news sources are picking it up.  Perfect opportunity to see how different "news" agencies report the same thing.

EDIT:  It never ceases to amaze me how the hive-mind echo chamber of the left work so quickly.  Every single person that I've seen against this, the only thing they're saying is how if you support the new law then you are a "big government republican who wants to take away control from local governments."  Of course they ignore the 2a, or when it's brought up it's always "what part of 'a well organized militia' don't you understand knuckle-dragger!?!?"  

This has been from the average commenter on a news site to senators, to our Knoxville mayor.  The exact same thing and the only thing.  It's so weird.  I guess the right does it too but I've rarely seen such copy/paste responses.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#23]
And yet these very same SOB's will be the loudest whiners when their wife, daughter, or even Sister is attacked on one of these desolate 'Greenway Trails' like here in M'boro!  Where was the Bicycle Police?  For the Boro there are exactly two which always ride together for the entire route!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And yet these very same SOB's will be the loudest whiners when their wife, daughter, or even Sister is attacked on one of these desolate 'Greenway Trails' like here in M'boro!  Where was the Bicycle Police?  For the Boro there are exactly two which always ride together for the entire route!
View Quote

Just after the bill came up for discussion, there were a series of knife attacks in a local park and they couldn't find the dude because the area was so wooded and easy to move around in, yet impossible to patrol.  That led to talk radio getting ahold of the story and LOL you should've heard some of the stories people were calling in with.  The best one I remember is a guy followed a lady into the bathroom and stuck his head under the stall and was making monkey noises while he jacked off.  All happening within 50ft of her husband outside playing with the kids.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just after the bill came up for discussion, there were a series of knife attacks in a local park and they couldn't find the dude because the area was so wooded and easy to move around in, yet impossible to patrol.  That led to talk radio getting ahold of the story and LOL you should've heard some of the stories people were calling in with.  The best one I remember is a guy followed a lady into the bathroom and stuck his head under the stall and was making monkey noises while he jacked off.  All happening within 50ft of her husband outside playing with the kids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a section of green way in west Nashville, with a homeless camp next to it.  Wouldn't surprise me if other sections of the green way have a camp near them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's a section of green way in west Nashville, with a homeless camp next to it.  Wouldn't surprise me if other sections of the green way have a camp near them.
View Quote

It's really sad.  I feel for most homeless people.  Many have had hard times for far too long. Most are mentally unstable.  That said, I wouldn't hesitate to drop one if they were to try to rob me or hurt my family.  Knoxville is a huge magnet for them.  I was in our downtown and there were 10-20 sitting around the Market Square area. One sleeping right in the middle where people had to walk around.  

Here in Knoxville we have a big push for greenways.  You have some greenways where you'll be riding your bike in the county which is fine to carry, and hit this invisible line where you weren't allowed, and be illegally carrying.  Many of our parks straddle the greenways.  The one just off UT campus is (or used to be) the worst.

I had a friend who was riding his bike and a dude just started running down a hill trying to merge with him and knock him off/rob him.  I've personally had few problems, but I don't ride them often enough to see.  The worst parts are the parks where all the gay people go off into the woods and do God-Knows_what.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
.... I've seen against this, the only thing they're saying is how if you support the new law then you are a "big government republican who wants to take away control from local governments."  Of course they ignore the 2a, or when it's brought up it's always "what part of 'a well organized militia' don't you understand knuckle-dragger!?!?"  ....
View Quote

More specifically, the TN Constitution says only the Legislature may regulate the wearing of arms. They got rid of most of the local control when 39-17-1314 was revised last year, including grandfathered laws, but that still left the local parks control in 39-17-1311. This was still allowing local control of the wearing of firearms "by proxy", and not in the spirit of the TN Constitution.

Here in Knoxville, our idiot mayor and police chief were both bemoaning how we were losing local control of the issue, when in fact Knoxville banned carry in parks/rec areas by a local grandfathered ordinance, which was nuked a year ago. Since Knoxville took no action to opt out of 39-17-1311, it has been de facto lawful to carry in parks for a year now. Our city attorney must have gotten a diploma by correspondence school and cheated his way through the bar exam, I guess.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's really sad.  I feel for most homeless people.  Many have had hard times for far too long. Most are mentally unstable.  That said, I wouldn't hesitate to drop one if they were to try to rob me or hurt my family.  Knoxville is a huge magnet for them.  I was in our downtown and there were 10-20 sitting around the Market Square area. One sleeping right in the middle where people had to walk around.  

Here in Knoxville we have a big push for greenways.  You have some greenways where you'll be riding your bike in the county which is fine to carry, and hit this invisible line where you weren't allowed, and be illegally carrying.  Many of our parks straddle the greenways.  The one just off UT campus is (or used to be) the worst.

I had a friend who was riding his bike and a dude just started running down a hill trying to merge with him and knock him off/rob him.  I've personally had few problems, but I don't ride them often enough to see.  The worst parts are the parks where all the gay people go off into the woods and do God-Knows_what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found out about the homeless camp in west Nashville, when the local news did a story about one resident of the camp stabbing another resident of the camp.  As I recall, they said it was suspected that the stabber had mental problems.  I walked that section of greenway, not long after it opened.  Once you get past the first section, you are out of sight of anybody that is not on the greenway and fairly close to you.

At a past job, a couple of my coworkers would occasionally ride the section of greemway between Shelly Park and Two Rivers Park.  Both of them had stories about bums/druggies making attempts to jump them.  Fortunately, their ability to judge when to jump out and ambush somebody on a bike, wasn't too good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#30]

I hope Mayor Rogero  and Chief Rausch see the idiocy of their support to keep guns out of parks after this murder, but I know they won't.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I hope Mayor Rogero  and Chief Rausch see the idiocy of their support to keep guns out of parks after this murder, but I know they won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You would be right.  She made a statement saying how bad she feels for the family, etc.  Rousch got on camera and started spouting off nonsense about "use the buddy system" and "be aware of your surroundings."
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's already been legal to carry in Knoxville parks for a year now and they honestly don't seem to have known it. Idiots.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Here he is on the radio this morning....http://www.newstalk987.com/the-hal-show-podcast/

Go to the 7am hour and fast forward till the 10min mark.  

"The incidents on the greenway are limited. VERY limited. The greenways are safe."    (other than the random assaults, plus the attempted assault/rape, the perpetrator hasn't been found yet)  Of course they went on to show how fast the killer was apprehended, etc.

Some people interviewed feel safe.  Some don't.  The greenways are great, honestly.  But to depend on someone else for one's safety when one is perfectly capable of helping themselves is faulty logic, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Gun control supporters do not follow logic.  Feelings trump all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#35]
http://gunscarstech.com/2015/05/07/you-have-got-to-be-ing-kidding-me/

Thought you all might be interested in this.

Apparently, Memphis and Nashville are planning on still banning guns in certain parks, even after the state passed the law saying that they can’t.
The city of Nashville is in the middle of building an amphitheater in of our river front parks, and the folks that are contracted to run the concert venue have a police that they ban weapons at all of their venues.  What’s Nashville’s Metro Director of Law’s response to the question of banning firearms in a facility on park grounds? “We’re in the view that we can probably prohibit weapons in the new amphitheater.”

Oh… he has logic!  You’ll love his logic!  See, the law also refers to “areas owned, used or operated by a local government ‘for recreational purposes,'” and, in his view, going to see a concert isn’t recreation!

No.

Seriously.

Direct quote from Metro’s DoL Solomon: “When we think of ‘recreating,’ it’s somebody going out and doing something, not somebody sitting around,”
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Apparently, Memphis and Nashville are planning on still banning guns in certain parks, even after the state passed the law saying that they can’t.
The city of Nashville is in the middle of building an amphitheater in of our river front parks, and the folks that are contracted to run the concert venue have a police that they ban weapons at all of their venues.  What’s Nashville’s Metro Director of Law’s response to the question of banning firearms in a facility on park grounds? “We’re in the view that we can probably prohibit weapons in the new amphitheater.”

Oh… he has logic!  You’ll love his logic!  See, the law also refers to “areas owned, used or operated by a local government ‘for recreational purposes,'” and, in his view, going to see a concert isn’t recreation!

No.

Seriously.

Direct quote from Metro’s DoL Solomon: “When we think of ‘recreating,’ it’s somebody going out and doing something, not somebody sitting around,”

Nashville Zoo has stated they are still going to ban carry. As I've opined, this will be a location by location battle over time. My fear is that some judge will negate the whole statute "constitutionally vague" as was the first "guns in bars" statute.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/87494-nashville-zoo/page-2#entry1264932

- OS

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted: My fear is that some judge will negate the whole statute "constitutionally vague" as was the first "guns in bars" statute.
- OS
View Quote

Might be the very best thing that could happen, then like the tripe that we were saddled with on the first "Restaurant Carry" bill, we get it done correctly the second time.  Maybe get Rep. Goins back in charge from the start instead of the gun bill killer (Harrison) that carried this one?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top