Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2015 7:49:45 AM EDT
http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/news/Tennessee-Lawmakers-Pass-Guns-In-Parking-Lots-Update-297327231.html

Tennessee Lawmakers Pass Guns-In-Parking-Lots Update

CREATED Mar 23, 2015

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The state House and Senate have passed a bill to allow workers to sue their employers if they are fired for storing guns parked in company lots.

The Senate passed the measure on a 28-5 vote on Monday evening, and the House later followed suit on a 78-14 vote.

The state in 2013 enacted a law to give handgun carry permit holders the right to store their firearms in vehicles on company lots regardless of their employers' wishes.

But an attorney general's opinion later found that while the law decriminalized ignoring posted gun bans on private property, employers could still terminate workers for violating company firearms policies.

The bill was sponsored by Sen. Mark Green of Clarksville and fellow Republican Rep. Curry Todd of Collierville.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Can an employer fire you for having a bible in your car or a news paper?

I think an employer would have a hard time proving cause if the employee was not causing an issue. Especially through the higher courts. I know Tennessee is an at will state. Regardless, if this becomes law, it would give employees a fighting chance against anti-gun employers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a law yet.  The governor needs to sign or allow to become law.  He can veto it, but in Tenn., can be overridden by a simple majority.  Haven't seen the final version, so even if (when) it becomes law, will need to know the effective date.

Edited to add: If it becomes law, would take effect July 1, 2015.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Queue haslam's finance committee.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I am all for it, but I am not willing to be the test case.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am all for it, but I am not willing to be the test case.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's already past that point.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Too bad it won't effect the part of TN that has a KY zip code
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would it not? It is a State Law. I have a similar problem, in the I live I Fayette County, but have a Shelby County zip code. Ever time we buy a car, the requester it in the wrong county, and it has to be corrected, and my wife was given a incorrect registration as our tags were Fayette county, but lic had Shelby county zip. Judge corrected and chewed out Trooper for not checking before writing ticket.

But everything that Fayette County law covers me. Not Shelby County. It's where you live, not your zip.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why would it not? It is a State Law. I have a similar problem, in the I live I Fayette County, but have a Shelby County zip code. Ever time we buy a car, the requester it in the wrong county, and it has to be corrected, and my wife was given a incorrect registration as our tags were Fayette county, but lic had Shelby county zip. Judge corrected and chewed out Trooper for not checking before writing ticket.

But everything that Fayette County law covers me. Not Shelby County. It's where you live, not your zip.
View Quote

I was worried about this the last time I E-filed a NFA item. When the dealer entered my zip (Fayette county) it automatically entered Shelby county into the county box. The ATF-NFA Branch didn't care. I got my toy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I believe he's referring to Ft Campbell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he's referring to Ft Campbell.

Probably, still does not change a state law, because the Post Office wants your mail sent from another office.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top