Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2015 12:10:22 AM EDT
House Bill 0995 by Chairman Mike Harrison has passed the House Civil Justice Subcommittee by a four to two vote.

In a roll call vote requested by Representative Sherry Jones - Representatives Wilburn, Coley, Lundberg and Carter
voted in favor of passage - Representatives Jones and Beck voted against passage.

The bill moves to the full Civil Justice Committee on March 10.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#1]
What does this mean?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What does this mean?
View Quote

Looks like the bill removes the clause allowing county and city governments to ban carry in their parks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
So theoretically I could carry in Warner parks when I decide to go for a walk? I'm not saying I did it anyway for years, but maybe I did...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If it passes, you would be able to carry without worrying about trouble from metro park police.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it passes, you would be able to carry without worrying about trouble from metro park police.
View Quote

It needs to pass!!!!

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It needs to pass!!!!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It needs to pass!!!!

Given how hard it is to figure out the boundaries of the Metro Nashville park system, it should have never been allowed to become an issue, in the first place.  Even if you have the map from metro parks, you still can't be certain, because I have seen a section of greenway rerouted (signs temporarily moved, due to construction) and the map not updated.  There's a downtown Nashville park that I used to drive by as part of my daily commute, and I thought it was just a vacant lot, until I saw it mentioned in a news article.

It's one of the more fucked up problems with trying to stay legal while carrying a gun, and it was created entirely by the idiots running Nashville's government.  The state should have never given them the opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes concealed really means concealed....

It's sure as hell not going to stay in the glove-box where some tweaker will steal it, right out from under the nose of Metro Parks Police.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, the Senate and House have both accepted the majority conference report, so it goes to King Billy for his signature or veto (or nothing). I wonder if he'll sign it.
http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/109/CCRReports/CC0001.pdf
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, the Senate and House have both accepted the majority conference report, so it goes to King Billy for his signature or veto (or nothing). I wonder if he'll sign it.
http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/109/CCRReports/CC0001.pdf
View Quote

Hopefully, he'll just not sign it, letting it become law as he did with change to preemption statute last session.

My rep, Smith, has done the "present not voting" thing on this all along. I presented the case to him that the TN Constitution says that only the Legislature has the right to enact laws regarding the wearing of arms. I do not believe that allowing local control "by proxy" of a state statute such as 1311 is within the intent of that.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Surprisingly, Governor Haslam signed the bill this morning.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just read that he did.  Good news!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't been able to read it, when is it active?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill as amended says "upon becoming law", no date, so I guess it's effective now?

- OS
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#14]
He signed it?

Awesome. Now I can take my son to the park to play on the playground instead of making him hike on our land in Cheatham county.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#15]
And opponents wonder why we need guns in parks.

Man accused of chasing children with large blade
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Anybody see the Memphis in May event posted against carry?  Think that was the "legislative intent" of this one?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]
So that means I can carry inside all city/state parks??   Good..  There is one park in Clarksville, TN that posted..  And I think it still has the no CCW signage...

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So that means I can carry inside all city/state parks??   Good..  There is one park in Clarksville, TN that posted..  And I think it still has the no CCW signage...

View Quote

State parks have been legal to carry in for years.  But just like when that changed, cities/counties do not have to remove the no carry part of any signage until regular maintenance is performed.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#19]
WOOT!!! Good news....good news.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

All of the parks in Clarksville say No firearms (except as provided by Resolution 37-2010-11) . Resolution 37-2010-11 enables residents and visitors with a handgun carry permit to legally carry a firearm for self-defense in the parks. There are a few exceptions, though:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20110204/tennessee-clarksville-city-council-rep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the parks in Clarksville say No firearms (except as provided by Resolution 37-2010-11) . Resolution 37-2010-11 enables residents and visitors with a handgun carry permit to legally carry a firearm for self-defense in the parks. There are a few exceptions, though:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20110204/tennessee-clarksville-city-council-rep

As of 2014 legislative session, NO local firearm ordinances have any legal standing, including previously allowed grandfathered ones, unless they involve:

- actual discharge of firearms
- location of shooting ranges
- carry by city/county employees or contractors

After that time, municipal parks could only be designated no carry by adhering to dictates in TCA 39-17-1311, and as of 4/24/15 that option is gone too.

- OS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top