Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 10:38:24 PM EDT
Anybody looking to get rid of coyote, PM me. My friend and I will ride up and exterminate them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah. Most will have the means but many won't have the time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
About 3 minutes ago, I took a shot at a coyote off my front porch.

It was in my neighbor's back yard about 400 yards away.  After the first shot, it took off running so the last two shots were hail marys.  

Once the weather warms up a bit, I need to resight in my coyote rifle for longer ranges.

Didn't mean to hijack, at least you gotta free BTT.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About 3 minutes ago, I took a shot at a coyote off my front porch.

It was in my neighbor's back yard about 400 yards away.  After the first shot, it took off running so the last two shots were hail marys.  

Once the weather warms up a bit, I need to resight in my coyote rifle for longer ranges.

Didn't mean to hijack, at least you gotta free BTT.

Good luck.
View Quote

Not a hijack. I just bought some Mk262 77gr that I'm re sighting my rifle with.. can't wait to reach out there and get a few.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, good.

So where did you learn to hunt coyotes?

Recommendations for .223 ammo for coyotes?  I've got plenty of M193 and equivalent, M855 IMI, plus 64 soft nose (I forget the name though), plus the usual Wolf 55 grain FMJ.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
By no means am I an expert or take coyote hunting serious. I have used M193 a lot to hunt them but I've heard of many guys using lighter projectiles like 45 gr or so... I didn't purchase the Mk262 ammo for coyotes, it's just so accurate I figured I'd try. I don't believe it will fragment like lighter bullets tho.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
These yotes seem to be getting way overpopulated in my neck of the woods Stewart Co. We just had a newborn calf killed two weeks ago and I've been seeing scat everywhere on  my trails. I had to put my friend on a seek and destroy mission, he's retired and has plenty of time. We are 2 down probably twenty to go now I wish I could put some traps out to get them, but my neighbor's dog runs around everywhere and I would hate to catch her.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
These yotes seem to be getting way overpopulated in my neck of the woods Stewart Co. We just had a newborn calf killed two weeks ago and I've been seeing scat everywhere on  my trails. I had to put my friend on a seek and destroy mission, he's retired and has plenty of time. We are 2 down probably twenty to go now I wish I could put some traps out to get them, but my neighbor's dog runs around everywhere and I would hate to catch her.
View Quote

If you need some help in Stuart Co. let me know. I am not a big hunter, but I wouldn't mind some medium to long range practice on some organic reactive targets rather than just clanging steel on range 16. I think my SIG 716 would be just the right thing for those kinds of varmints, but I'd rather go with my Precision bolt guns. Is a hunting license needed to help eradicate these vermin?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
60gr VMax

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you need some help in Stuart Co. let me know. I am not a big hunter, but I wouldn't mind some medium to long range practice on some organic reactive targets rather than just clanging steel on range 16. I think my SIG 716 would be just the right thing for those kinds of varmints, but I'd rather go with my Precision bolt guns. Is a hunting license needed to help eradicate these vermin?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the offer, but my buddy has went out and bought a nice electric call and is pretty serious about the matter. He likes to help me out with the farm and since his health isn't great anymore he isn't able to work like he used to, this is a way to help that he can still do. He's been helping us since I was a kid and all he wants in return is to deer hunt. I told him I'm pretty sure he's already earned a lifetime pass...lol.
You can kill as many yotes  year round as you want, but I'm not sure if you would need a license or not on private property. I know the landowner doesn't need one on his own property. I'm sure your SIG would work well though, I've shot several of  them with my old A-2 farm rifle and even my Glock 22 once (claim to fame shot )
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:01:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for the offer, but my buddy has went out and bought a nice electric call and is pretty serious about the matter. He likes to help me out with the farm and since his health isn't great anymore he isn't able to work like he used to, this is a way to help that he can still do. He's been helping us since I was a kid and all he wants in return is to deer hunt. I told him I'm pretty sure he's already earned a lifetime pass...lol.

You can kill as many yotes  year round as you want, but I'm not sure if you would need a license or not on private property. I know the landowner doesn't need one on his own property. I'm sure your SIG would work well though, I've shot several of  them with my old A-2 farm rifle and even my Glock 22 once (claim to fame shot )
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you what he bought?  Hopefully not a thread hijack.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#12]
it's gotten bad here in Johnson Co, we have cows on our land and we now have 2 donkeys to help, neighbor also has a few donkeys

haven't had issues until a couple years ago, I guess I need to do a search on coyote hunting, I wonder if I hung up a possum or coon, if they would be attracted to eat them

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Guys don't worry about a hijack.. this thread can go any direction. Doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]
talked to another neighbor last night, they lost 3 calves last year and their cats and dog got killed this year

I have permission to shoot, just gotta figure out what all land I have and how to hunt them (I know see them and shoot)

They apparently run behind our place early evening, going to look for tracks maybe this weekend

I need to spend some time researching them I guess
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Guys don't worry about a hijack.. this thread can go any direction. Doesn't matter.
View Quote

Well Ok then.

I'll take pics of my Coyote rifle some time tomorrow.

In the meantime:  Any good sites for someone starting out coyote hunting?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#16]
We just got home, took back way;scoping out property...looks like some good 100 to 200 yard stuff with safe backdrops, talk with SD down the road and he said we can cut through his place to scout back ridge

Any tips or tricks?

No NV though

These appear to be 3 to 5 "red" yotes

Will talk w/some neighbors this weekend and try to establish a trail system

Do they use trails like other non predatory animals?

Sorry for all the questions
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Foxpro I believe.

11021220_10204451850988757_6325910794178981801_n by , on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

We just got home, took back way;scoping out property...looks like some good 100 to 200 yard stuff with safe backdrops, talk with SD down the road and he said we can cut through his place to scout back ridge

Any tips or tricks?

No NV though

These appear to be 3 to 5 "red" yotes

Will talk w/some neighbors this weekend and try to establish a trail system

Do they use trails like other non predatory animals?

Sorry for all the questions
View Quote

I gave up hunting whitetail and everything else a few years back to focus completely on predators.  Deer hunting seems easy in comparison.  I've hunted coyotes in NY, PA and VA.  You can't possibly imagine the amount of work that goes into a successful hunt.  There are guys who hunt areas with high density of coyotes and have never seen one.  More than anything else, you need to understand how they hunt and then how to use it against them.  Don't think about trail systems, that's deer hunter thinking.  You need to get them to come to you...... if they're there, and if you set everything up right, they'll head your way.  Scent control and overall strategy go a long way.

The other way to hunt them is at distance, over bait at night, but each state has its own regs and I haven't hunted at all in TN since moving here.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're spending more than 30 minutes in a spot, you're doing it wrong. Calling them in should only take 15 or 20 minutes. If you don't see them by then, move.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
it's gotten bad here in Johnson Co, we have cows on our land and we now have 2 donkeys to help, neighbor also has a few donkeys

haven't had issues until a couple years ago, I guess I need to do a search on coyote hunting, I wonder if I hung up a possum or coon, if they would be attracted to eat them

View Quote

Is the area where you live near the Steve Earle song location?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, kinda its about 6 miles away by air and 40 min By truck(other side of Doe mnt); they opened a winery in the old school on big dry run, so we go up that way often

Its amazing how a fictional song, can change a county/location

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#23]
here is some stuff I have been reading today: (at work )

hover over to see link website address

tn coyote info 1

tn licenese info

older article about tn 'yotes

website

website

website

more reading

and more

you get the ides, more

and last for now

to the seasoned vets, if any of these links are BS please tell me to edit them

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If you're spending more than 30 minutes in a spot, you're doing it wrong. Calling them in should only take 15 or 20 minutes. If you don't see them by then, move.
View Quote
I generally spend 30-45 minutes at my favorite coyote hunting spot:  my front deck.

The only "calls" I have is a small handheld electronic squealer (which isn't all that loud) and a coyote call I got at the NWTF show last month (which I don't really know how to use).

I need to go to Walmart and see if they have coyote electronic calls on clearance, plus learn how to use the coyote call.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Started a couple of years ago.  FMJ is a no-no in TN, so I load 62 gr. HP's.

Bought an ICOtec GC-300 electronic call with remote.  It was a good bit cheaper than FOX, etc but works great.  I didn't want to spend 3 or 400 bucks since I wasn't sure how much I'd hunt them.  No regrets on that call. Cost about 70 bucks.

Also got one of the motorized decoys.  Cheap and they work.  I use the MOJO Critter decoy.  About 35 bucks.

You will need standard license in TN unless you have the landowner exemption.  During deer/Bear season you have to be licensed for big game to hunt furbearers.

During archery only or archery/muzzleloader only season you can't hunt coyotes with centerfire ammo.

Suppressors are legal but you won't be hunting at night like some states.

Its a lot of fun because you don't have to be there before daylight, you don't have to sit for hours and you will need several spots because after 30-45 minutes you probably might as well move on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
By no means am I an expert or take coyote hunting serious. I have used M193 a lot to hunt them but I've heard of many guys using lighter projectiles like 45 gr or so... I didn't purchase the Mk262 ammo for coyotes, it's just so accurate I figured I'd try. I don't believe it will fragment like lighter bullets tho.
View Quote

You do realize that using FMJ ammo for hunting is illegal in TN, right? Even for hunting coyote!

ETA: On a side note. If there is anyone in, or around the Hohenwald/Columbia area looking for a well experienced yote hunter to hunt with, PM me so we can get together sometime..
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

[snip]

ETA: On a side note. If there is anyone in, or around the Hohenwald/Columbia area looking for a well experienced yote hunter to hunt with, PM me so we can get together sometime..

View Quote

I'm about 55 miles from Columbia.  I could talked into doing some coyote hunting.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You do realize that using FMJ ammo for hunting is illegal in TN, right? Even for hunting coyote!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only hunted them in VA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top