Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/16/2015 10:44:58 AM EDT
I'm in Lincoln County and there is nothing happening.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#1]
About an inch or so of ice this morning in Nashville, maybe 1-1/2". IOW, much ado about nothing.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Fayette county, east of Memphis, has 1/2" or so of sleet and still coming down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a couple inches here in Clarksville.  Sent my son out to shovel the drive way while I sit inside and supervise.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Nolensville has a nice sheet of ice with sleet n shit on top of it.

I made it out around 6:10 to test the roads - slid around pretty good and decided to work remote. I went to work last time this happened and it took me 5 hours to get home from downtown at the end of the day.

Plus I don't have the jeep any more so the car isn't as "adventurous" for winter driving. I know 4wd doesn't help on ice - but it does help when I slide into a yard and can drive through the yard to keep going

picture thread

DSC_5551 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nolensville has a nice sheet of ice with sleet n shit on top of it.

I made it out around 6:10 to test the roads - slid around pretty good and decided to work remote. I went to work last time this happened and it took me 5 hours to get home from downtown at the end of the day.

Plus I don't have the jeep any more so the car isn't as "adventurous" for winter driving. I know 4wd doesn't help on ice - but it does help when I slide into a yard and can drive through the yard to keep going

picture thread

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/qVPHB3" target="_blank">https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8655/16361646940_90fed33325_b.jpg</a>DSC_5551 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
View Quote

Ugh. I remember a couple years ago driving back to clarksville after practice doing 35mph in 4Hi. I-24 was a solid sheet of ice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My vehicles are covered in a thin sheet of ice now and icicles are starting to form on the eves of my house and barn. Think I'll sit this one out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
In west Knoxville, so far nothing.

I was supposed to go to the office in Chattanooga, but saw the ice/sleet part and decided to wait til tomorrow. I remember last year when it took me 4 1/2 hours to get back from Chattanooga, normally its 1 1/2 hrs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Nashville has had a mix of sleet and freezing rain since about 3am.

I woke up around 2am and couldn't get back to sleep, so I tried to find a more up to date forecast on the TV.  Some guy was saying (probably recorded last night) that we probably wouldn't get too much accumulation and that bridges and overpasses may get a little icy, but that the roads shouldn't be too bad.  

Around 3am, I heard the stuff hitting the roof.  I don't think it has let up, since then.  Just some variation in what is coming down.

I didn't even try to scrape the ice off the car.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing in Elizabethton so far.  Stay safe on the roads
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fayette county, east of Memphis, has 1/2" or so of sleet and still coming down.
View Quote

Now it is raining and freezing on the trees and power lines. Not good. I need to dust off the generator.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Still snowing in clarksville.  Going to the stores to neckbeard bread and milk.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#12]

snow/ice in morristown

I didn't wanna go to work anyway

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I ran down the street to Subway / Kroger.

The roads are much much worse than they were 4 hours ago when I got out earlier.

stay safe
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I made it to Huntsville without clearing out any ditches. Not bad at all down here.  Just raining like crazy.  It's going to freeze tonight and be a disaster tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#15]
fixing to leave Piney Flats and head into the Mountains of Johnson Co.....I am leaving time for all the idiots to get home
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#16]
It's an icy mess here in Maryville. I almost slipped on the grass. ON THE GRASS.

Ice is falling from the sky, and literally everything is coated in a pale, glossy layer of slippery. All of this white is ice, not snow.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn't even try to drive to Gallatin from Bellevue this morning for work. I just called my boss and told him that ice was a huge problem here, and that I'd try to make it in tomorrow. My little '96 Civic absolutely SUCKS in slippery weather.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I didn't even try to drive to Gallatin from Bellevue this morning for work. I just called my boss and told him that ice was a huge problem here, and that I'd try to make it in tomorrow. My little '96 Civic absolutely SUCKS in slippery weather.
View Quote

Well you have that urban assault vehicle aka Del Sol that should do well in this weather.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#19]
About one inch of ice and then three and a half to four inches of snow on top in my part of Clarksville.  I gave up on getting out of my driveway after an hour of trying.  I live on a little one lane dead end road, so I won't be going anywhere for a while.

Right now the family and I are searching for any movies on the Donner party.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]
About an inch of ice here in Hendersonville.  My power had been out since 11am
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I just demonstrated my ninja skills by walking across a snow covered yard, and leaving no tracks.

I did hear some sounds, in a few places, that reminded me of the sounds I would hear as a kid, right before the pond ice let me know I had to get off RIGHT NOW, or get wet.

ETA: I bet a snowball made from that stuff would hurt.   ...if you could manage to chip some off the ground and make a ball out of it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]
2hr drive home at 25/30 we have 6"+ at about 2400' still coming down good, may have to break out the sled and let wife pull me around the field

On second thought...nah...its too cold

Let's make sliders and drink beer instead....it is pretty out tho' may have to drive around some in the mnts
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#23]
McMinnville has a half inch to an inch of ice. I played hooky today but absolutely have to work tomorrow in Smyrna. I did venture to the store today with no problem
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I was off today but was told by the boss that I'm "essential personal" and should be there tomorrow at the regular time. I really hope the MP's turn me around. On another note my wife said I was crazy when she found out I was outside grilling pork chops tonight.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#25]
We have a thin coating of ice on our vehicles and what water was on the ground is frozen hard but not a terrible winter storm like it could have been.  I watched the radar and it seemed that the worst of it went north and south of Turdville.  Even an ice storm finds us unappealing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Woo hoo! nonessential personnel snow day tomorrow! Looks like I'm sleeping in
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Step outside and listen.  Took the dog out tonight and it was interesting and unusual to hear the wind blowing through the trees.  It sounded like, well, thousands of tiny icicles breaking at once.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:26:25 AM EDT
[#28]
It's been since 9/11 that I haven't heard a steady stream of aircraft from Nashville's airport.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#29]
3am & driving to Chatt in an hour. Thank goodness for a Jeep & 4WD...................  

I bet Monteagle Mtn is gonna be a mofo.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:57:49 AM EDT
[#30]
No shit, be careful
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Spent a couple hours chipping an inch and a half of ice off of the car.

Still can't go anywhere, because the roads around here are solid ice (not a single track on my road).
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Nolensville to downtown was fun this morning.

Took nolensville rd the whole way. Little Mexico was entertaining to say the least. Them boys from south of the border don't know how to drive in this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#33]
The hills of Bellevue are solid ice, so it's another day of hanging out instead of working. We're out of eggs and bacon, too, so they either need to salt & plow our road, or I get to hike/ski/slide down the road to Kroger for supplies.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Yahoo weather is calling for -1° for lincoln County tomorrow night.  That means a true reading of about -6° because they are consistently about 5° off .

Wanna get rich? Buy a few hundred feet of PCV and CPVC and fittings.  Day after tomorrow drive through any trailer park in the state. Money!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Made it to work and back in the Tundra yesterday just fine, Lost the back gutter off the house when the sleet got too heavy I guess.  Spent a fun, happy half hour getting ice off the wife's car this morning so she could go into work.  My grad school at UofM has been cancelled for the last couple of days.  Its supposed to get low single digit here in Memphis tomorrow, but at the moment it's probably right at freezing, with a lot of melting going on here at the plant.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Power just now came back on for us.  Schools out the rest of the week
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Main roads are good In Nashville, but our neighborhood is still a slick, nasty mess. We made a run to Kroger without incident, but getting back in was not fun. Lots of wheel spin trying to get Mrs. IHJ's Jetta up the last 50ft of road.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Amazing how different TN is, we got about 10"+ and drove wife to work (new job should save gas money) and me to work 2-1/2 hr drive 68 miles 4wd and 25/30 whole way, way home was hammer down 55, after beer/wine store
Going to get cold again....stay safe/warm
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Made the quarter mile hike to the mailbox, before it got dark.

Our road is still solid ice (on the bright side, it filled in the potholes).

Main road looks like the plow came through, sometime today.

I guess I'll have to try to make the drive to work, tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Made the quarter mile hike to the mailbox, before it got dark.

Our road is still solid ice (on the bright side, it filled in the potholes).

Main road looks like the plow came through, sometime today.

I guess I'll have to try to make the drive to work, tomorrow.
View Quote

Me, too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Iron hand john:
Main roads are good In Nashville, but our neighborhood is still a slick, nasty mess. We made a run to Kroger without incident, but getting back in was not fun. Lots of wheel spin trying to get Mrs. Ajay's Jetty up the last 50ft of road.
View Quote

Maybe next YOU push & let HER drive instead of the other way around, eh?  

For those who don't know John, I'm just kidding!  

I went down I-24 towards Chatt @ 3am yesterday. Mandatory court appearance for my niece & Chatt had no ice nor snow, so court was open. Wasn't too bad until I got to I-24 & Harding & then it became a SOLID sheet of ice. Fishtailing at a mere 30mph. Got to HH area & I bet we saw 200-300 truckers parked on the side of the interstate, end to end. Both sides too. Saw multiple jack knife accidents, trucks in the grass median, one on its side, etc.

Once we got past Manchester/Tullahoma, the road became pretty clear & we made good time. Niece got 2 yrs probation & had to pay $1500 restitution. Anybody need a female roommate?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#42]
The morning news is making it sound like the latest round of snow has made the main roads questionable, again.

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Snowing pretty good right now here in Sevier co.

Driveway is still a sheet of ice from yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#44]
24W into Nashville wasn't too terribly horrible.  Down at Vandy now.    We'll see how the ride back to Clarksville goes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Just over an inch of snow so far. That pretty much shuts down the roads around this village.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#47]
My hour commute was 2 1/2 hours this morning . I-65 north shut down @ OHB  . Somebody successfully parked their Chevy Silverado on top of the guardrail
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My hour commute was 2 1/2 hours this morning . I-65 north shut down @ OHB  . Somebody successfully parked their Chevy Silverado on top of the guardrail
View Quote

That takes talent.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
24W into Nashville wasn't too terribly horrible.  Down at Vandy now.    We'll see how the ride back to Clarksville goes.
View Quote

I've gotta be at Centennial tonight for practice so I'm wondering how that ride will be
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That takes talent.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That takes talent.  

Both East bound on ramps at KY Exit 89 on I24 were shut down due to semi's sliding off the road this morning.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top