Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2015 1:38:04 PM EDT
Summary

As introduced, allows a gun dealer to complete a firearms transaction with a handgun carry permit holder without requiring a criminal history record check, if the permit was issued or renewed within five years of the date of transaction. - Amends TCA Title 39.

https://legiscan.com/TN/bill/SB0207/2015
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I sure hope it passes......
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If TN doesn't make changes to meet federal requirements, it doesn't matter what the state law says.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If TN doesn't make changes to meet federal requirements, it doesn't matter what the state law says.
View Quote

Yeah. I believe a yearly re-certification through NICS is main non-compliant issue.

But main impediment is same as last time it was tried, the cash cow of the TICS fee (tax).

- OS
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:26:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing they'll just up the cost of the permit to cover the lost revenue.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

They discussed that last time around in committee 2 or 3 years ago, somebody even proposed a "formula" that permit holders bought an average of x number of firearms per year (obviously pulled out of thin air). Anyway, it never got out of committee, same ole graveyard House Ways and Means I believe it was.

Oddly, I don't think anyone ever even brought up the fact that the Feds have to approve the permit process as a substitute, that it's not just up to the state, duh.

- OS

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They discussed that last time around in committee 2 or 3 years ago, somebody even proposed a "formula" that permit holders bought an average of x number of firearms per year (obviously pulled out of thin air). Anyway, it never got out of committee, same ole graveyard House Ways and Means I believe it was.

Oddly, I don't think anyone ever even brought up the fact that the Feds have to approve the permit process as a substitute, that it's not just up to the state, duh.

- OS

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

It's the same old game they play. "I voted for it but..."
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Snowball in hell, IMO. You have any idea how much $$$ the TICS checks make the TN tax fund?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Snowball in hell, IMO. You have any idea how much $$$ the TICS checks make the TN tax fund?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For those that don't know... Oh, and the same dept that does TICS does other criminal background checks, for a nominal fee.
http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/firearm_check/firearm_stats.shtml

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm happy to pony up the $10.  There's no income tax on wages here.  Winning.

Also seems to be less of a hassle calling in than elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Even if the Feds don't approve of it as a valid exemption, wouldn't it give dealers an option to run the free NICS check if you have a permit?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Even if the Feds don't approve of it as a valid exemption, wouldn't it give dealers an option to run the free NICS check if you have a permit?
View Quote

If that's the goal, just nuke TICS.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  With TN being a point of contact state dealers must use TICS.  If a dealer were to try to register with NICS they'd get talked to like they were idiots.  I'm just guessing here, but I bet that the state gets federal money for lightening the load on the FBI
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
... I'm just guessing here, but I bet that the state gets federal money for lightening the load on the FBI
View Quote

Doesn't lighten anything ... NICS still gets queried by TICS for gun purchases. Also by HCP apps.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tennessee doesn't have to change anything to meet fed requirements for NICS check exemption.

(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a firearm transfer between a licensee and another person if—
(A)
(i) such other person has presented to the licensee a permit that—
(I) allows such other person to possess or acquire a firearm; and
(II) was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place; and
(ii) the law of the State provides that such a permit is to be issued only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession of a firearm by such other person would be in violation of law;
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Doesn't lighten anything ... NICS still gets queried by TICS for gun purchases. Also by HCP apps.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... I'm just guessing here, but I bet that the state gets federal money for lightening the load on the FBI

- OS

True but its a state employee that takes the call not a federal employee.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No.  With TN being a point of contact state dealers must use TICS.  If a dealer were to try to register with NICS they'd get talked to like they were idiots.  I'm just guessing here, but I bet that the state gets federal money for lightening the load on the FBI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/brady-law.html#nics-poc-state
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Tennessee doesn't have to change anything to meet fed requirements for NICS check exemption.

(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a firearm transfer between a licensee and another person if—
(A)
(II) was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place; and
(ii) the law of the State provides that such a permit is to be issued only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession of a firearm by such other person would be in violation of law;
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(A)

Must be buried elsewhere in the USC or in the CFR somewhere.  From the TBI:

"I have a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit.  Why do I also have to have a TICS/NICS check done to be able to purchase a firearm?

Tennessee's Handgun Carry Permit does not meet the requirements of the federal Brady Bill because it lacks a requirement for an annual re-check of the permit holder's criminal history and it does not require a check through the National Instant Check System (NICS).  Therefore, purchasers holding a valid Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit still have to have a TICS/NICS check performed when purchasing a firearm.  The carry permit can be used as a primary source of identification for purchasing a firearm as long as it contains the purchaser's photograph, date of birth and current address."

http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/firearm_check/firearm_faqs.shtml

- OS
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/brady-law.html#nics-poc-state

Let me rephrase myself. Dealers in TN won't get a choice who they will use.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#20]
If the law passes as written (odds: 0) dealers will have a dilemma. TN state law will excuse these from TICS, but Federal law will still require a background check. While a dealer could still run a TICS, there would be an option to register with the FBI and run a NICS check for those with HCPs. What is your evidence otherwise? I have supplied mine (i.e. not all transactions must use the same POC as long as a suitable check has been executed. If Tennessee steps aside in the case of HCP holders then the Feds must step in unless the HCP criterion meet the Brady law's conditions.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If the law passes as written (odds: 0) dealers will have a dilemma. TN state law will excuse these from TICS, but Federal law will still require a background check. While a dealer could still run a TICS, there would be an option to register with the FBI and run a NICS check for those with HCPs. What is your evidence otherwise? I have supplied mine (i.e. not all transactions must use the same POC as long as a suitable check has been executed. If Tennessee steps aside in the case of HCP holders then the Feds must step in unless the HCP criterion meet the Brady law's conditions.)
View Quote

Dilemma? When was the last time you had someone from ATF over at dinner time?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that have to do with my question? I don't fault an FFL at all for toeing the safe side of the line. I would do the same. At the the same time I would like to know the hard line of the (in this case hypothetical) law. You haven't convinced me otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#23]
If anything changes ATF will inform dealers in TN as to what they are to do. If ATF says you call TICS and you try to use NICS they'll tell you you're a moron and hang up. If you say TN state law says no check needed and ATF say it does and you don't do a check, you'll lose your license after your first inspection and possibly face criminal charges.
I as a licensed dealer will do as told by ATF. If I don't like what they say, I'll give up my license because I, like everyone else here, can't fight a multimillion $ multi year lawsuit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

At one point in time the federal NICS check could be done electronically....I believe the ATF even supplied software.........not sure if that's still the case though......
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If anything changes ATF will inform dealers in TN as to what they are to do. If ATF says you call TICS and you try to use NICS they'll tell you you're a moron and hang up. If you say TN state law says no check needed and ATF say it does and you don't do a check, you'll lose your license after your first inspection and possibly face criminal charges.
I as a licensed dealer will do as told by ATF. If I don't like what they say, I'll give up my license because I, like everyone else here, can't fight a multimillion $ multi year lawsuit.
View Quote

NICS isn't administered by the ATF. If state law says no local POC is required you go Federal. ATF IOI reads the state law and concurs that calling NICS (for an HCP holder) satisfies both state and federal laws. You don't deny that calling the state boys and the federal boys could both be options according to the FAQ I sent do you? I'm not trying to say that sticking to the current regime wouldn't be safer, only that a literal reading of the proposed law would support calling NICS. OhShoot, you seem pretty educated on the law, what is your opinion?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

At one point in time the federal NICS check could be done electronically....I believe the ATF even supplied software.........not sure if that's still the case though......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yes, nics can can be ran online, similar to TICS.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

"I have a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit.  Why do I also have to have a TICS/NICS check done to be able to purchase a firearm?

Tennessee's Handgun Carry Permit does not meet the requirements of the federal Brady Bill because it lacks a requirement for an annual re-check of the permit holder's criminal history and it does not require a check through the National Instant Check System (NICS).  Therefore, purchasers holding a valid Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit still have to have a TICS/NICS check performed when purchasing a firearm.  The carry permit can be used as a primary source of identification for purchasing a firearm as long as it contains the purchaser's photograph, date of birth and current address."

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(A)

- OS

Being as I am not a lawyer, I just tend to get confused.  But I've spent a good hour this morning trying to comb through and find the wording that the TBI is referring to and I can't.  I really can't figure this one out.  

I've been working with some coworkers and a lobbyist friend for the past 6 months to try and figure out how to make the HCP a valid exemption to the TICS check.  But we never came up with anything concrete.  

The problem that this bill is going to face is that it will get a fiscal note attached to it.  TBI or DOS or whoever will come in and testify about the loss in revenue and it will be killed in Finance committee.  I hope that we can stop that.  But it will not be an easy battle.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Being as I am not a lawyer, I just tend to get confused.  But I've spent a good hour this morning trying to comb through and find the wording that the TBI is referring to and I can't.  I really can't figure this one out.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(A)

- OS

I think the TBI is simply incorrect... either by ignorance or by design.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#29]
The last time they tried this they were going to raise the initial app to $121 and the renewal to $56: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/107/Amend/SA0602.pdf. I'd be ok with that if it helped it pass.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(A)

- OS

Could be, about the annual re-check. But it's true that the HCP process in TCA doesn't specifically mention undergoing a NICS check at all, even though the federal part would seem it would logically include one, dunno.

And the Feds seem to agree, here is their "Brady Permit Chart":

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/permanent-brady-permit-chart

- OS
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I wonder if one could ask the ATF (or DOJ) what requirement(s) the current HCP isn't meeting. Maybe the Nashville division?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top